Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: Healthy/Low Carb
Stats: 213.6/209.0/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Brittle bones and only 29 years old!!!!

What's the word on low carb eating and osteoporosis (sp?) ??

I am only 29 and am on Atkins and just had an xray done on my foot...tendon injury and was told that I have many old fractures ( I never knew) and was told I have very brittle bones that look like they belong on a 60 year old. I am freaking out now and waiting to hear from my regular doc to get a bone density scan and Vitamin D test. Meanwhile, the foot doc told me to take Vitamin D and Calcium supplements and change my diet.

Problem: She says high fats, proteins, sodium, iron, all contribute to calcium and mineral loss in the bones.

Ummm. I am only 29 I should not be having this problem to begin with. What do I do??? I need to lose this weight as I am sure it had something to do with all those fractures and the tendon issue if my bones are that bad.

I was thinking of cutting down on my red meat consumption and just sticking with high calcium fish like salmon and adding a lot of dark leafy greens to my diet but how do I avoid the high fat issue. Salt I can cut back on as well as diet soda. I am quitting that stuff but the fats and proteins concern me now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 15:49
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Soda pop can be a "bone robber." When I broke my ankle and had to have a plate and screws put in they told me at my age it would take 12 weeks or longer to mend, but the bone healed in 4. When they saw the X-Ray I went home in a walking cast instead of another plaster cast they said I would need. I attribute that to low-carb, high-fat, exercise and the herb Ginkgo Biloba to improve circulation.

http://yourherbalremediesonline.com..._of_Comfrey.php

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Sep-16-10 at 15:55.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 18:00

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Soda pop can be a "bone robber."

So very true!

Also, fat mass is good for stronger bones. Maybe you need to concentrate on your bones for a year? (One thing at a time?)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...00105095844.htm

Strength training can help build bone as well as high impact activities.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...80828093343.htm

Vitamin K is important, along with Vitamin D3. Vitamin K is found in leafy green veggies.

http://www.nbihealth.com/t-building-bone-health.aspx

Boron and magnesium are important for bone health

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2222801

Protein is associated with high risk of fractures and LOW risk of fractures, apparently dependent on Vitamin D status and calcium intake.

Part 1
http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/...le.php?id=15392

Part 2
http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/...le.php?id=15434

Calcium in dairy is easily absorbed. Phytate and oxalate inhibit calcium absorption so vegetable sources may not be fully utilized.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/calcium/
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Wow that must come as a shock, I'm sorry.

Its my personal opinion that fat and protein aren't the problem. I'm not sure if excessive amounts could be though. The only people I know with osteoporosis are low fat, near vegetarians.

I've been eating some form of LC since a diabetes diagnosis when I was 32, I'm 48 now. 2 years ago I fell 12ft onto concrete, the drs were amazed I only had plantar fasciitis, 98% would have broken a bone and 50% their spine. Recently I had the bone scan and was told my bones are in excellent condition.

I get tons of sun, take 5000 IU of vit D3, I eat the fish with the edible bones. I think exercise is a biggy too along with cutting out soda.

I've read that if you have a hormonal imbalance progesterone can help your bones heal- if you need it.

Wish you the best with this. Read, read, read!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 05:23

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

Soda is the devil! Make sure you get a very good cal mag supplement (not carbonate form). In Canada, I buy AOR bone basics. It is expensive but it has the full spectrum of minerals needed to strenthen bones. Love this product. I would also get yourself some collagen or silica, BioSil is good stuff.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 06:12
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

agree with the others.. soda pop is one of your culprits.
if you're concerned about fat and protein, may i suggest what our ancestors did for nutrition? find some beef bones, namely foot bones that are filled with gelatin and cook them down into a soup broth and learn to start drinking bone broth.
that should make your bones stronger, and you healthier by years!!!

good luck and btw, welcome to the forum.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 06:37
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Homegrown osteoporosis prevention and reversal
Good summary of strategies for improving bone strength from Dr Davis.

Pay particular attention to his comments on Calcium
Do use one of the online calcium calculators and Nutritional Data to see how much calcium you are already getting from food and from your water supply or beverages.
Diet Soft Drinks Deplete Urinary Calcium

Carbonated Cola Drinks Drop Bone Density in Women

Dietary Calcium Superior to Supplements for Protecting Bones

Calcium which is the best formHere is an Example from Iherb ~~~~~~ $5 introductory code Both calcium and magnesium are best absorbed in smaller amount through the day rather than all at one dose.

Positive influence of nutritional alkalinity on bone health.
Quote:
Intakes of K, Mg and fruit and vegetables have been associated with a higher alkaline status and a subsequent beneficial effect on bone health. In healthy male volunteers an acid-forming diet increases urinary Ca excretion by 74% and urinary C-terminal telopeptide of type I collagen (C-telopeptide) excretion by 19% when compared with an alkali (base-forming) diet.

Treatment with Potassium Bicarbonate Lowers Calcium Excretion and Bone Resorption
Quote:
reducing the acidogenicity of the diet into the alkali-producing range with bicarbonate lowers calcium excretion and the bone resorption rate in healthy older men and women consuming rather typical acid-producing American diets.

Recipe for Magnesium/Bicarbonate Water I have found using this daily has corrected the acidity of my urine. Urine tests strips (which also include ph) are cheap enough on EBAY. My urine was as acid as the test strips were able to measure. Using this magnesium bicarbonate water brought the PH up to more normal levels.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Fri, Sep-17-10 at 06:55.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 16:45
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks all of you so much! I am DONE with soda of any kind. I am also taking a calcium and Vit D supplement as well as making sure I get some sun everyday. I am sticking with low carb but going to add more salmon and fish to my day rather than so much red meat. Thanks for all the informative links
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 18:00

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

be careful of the combo of calcium and vitamin D

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...-vitamin-d.html
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 13:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Osteoperosis at your age is most likely a side-effect of Celiac disease. Something you should look into.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 15:13
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Osteoperosis at your age is most likely a side-effect of Celiac disease. Something you should look into.
This Vikki Peterson video explains why Celiacs may not be absorbing vitamin D or calcium from food.
Dr Vikki suggests 2000iu for each 10ng/ml you need to raise status and thinks most people aren't taking sufficient.
To maximise the absorption of calcium you first need to raise your 25(OH)D to above 30ng/ml and for some people more than 40ng/ml is required. (Dr Vikki suggests 50ng/ml should be your aim. Dr Davis prefers 60ng/ml. The point is at 40ng/ml you've no safety zone whereas above 50gn/ml your body will have a reserve store of D3.
Since around 1960s when new shorter faster growing varieties of wheat were produced we've had an increase in celiac incidence because these new wheat varieties contain more gluten than the older traditional wheat varieties. This has combined with a general decline year on year in vitamin D status as populations become more urbanized and local ozone pollution levels prevent UVB reaching ground level. So eliminating wheat from your diet and reducing gluten intake while improving vitamin D status may well help the situation.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-10, 13:15
Registered Member

BF:

That information regarding Calcium is very interesting.

So should I just supplement Vitamin D then increase the foods I eat that have calcium or should I not worry about the calcium at all???

I am going to look into the Celiac Disease too. Thank you!!!

My concern is that I don't just want to prevent further loss of bone density, I want to restore bone density....can that be done?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-10, 14:01
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piecukonis
So should I just supplement Vitamin D
without doubt you should supplement with Vitamin D3 (not just you EVERYONE needs to supplement with vitamin D) but YOU also need to supplement with magnesium and vitamin k2.

Quote:
then increase the foods I eat that have calcium or should I not worry about the calcium at all???
EVERYONE needs to make sure they get the RDA for calcium from food and water. So that means using one of the calcium or nutritional data calculators online to MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you are getting every day as much calcium as stated in the RDA.
World's Healthiest foods Calcium information
Because we know calcium from food is used better by the body than from supplements you first need to improve your food sources and then make up the difference between your calculated intake and the RDA to supplement with. If that difference is more than 600mg daily then really you need to reconsider your diet so MORE calcium comes from food/water/other drinks.

Quote:
I am going to look into the Celiac Disease too.
For a long time I thought maybe people were going a bit over the top on Celiac and gluten sensitivity. I delayed eliminating wheat from my diet for far too long.

Quote:
I want to restore bone density....can that be done?
I'm certain it can be done. The sooner you start on ALL Dr Davis's suggestions here the better

Although he doesn't mention omega 3 in that post it's certainly the case Omega 3 can improve bone mineral density and bone accrual so increasing omega 3 intake while reducing omega 6 intake from industrial seed oils (soybean, corn, sunflower, safflower etc) to improve your omega 3 <> 6 ratio will help.