Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 18:49

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Hot hot hot!

Ok, today is the first day that has qualified as 'bloody hot' for me here in good ol' southern California. When it gets this hot (100+) my appetite goes to zip, zero, nada. My sum total food consumption for the day consists of 4 sausage links eaten cold and about a gallon and a half of ice water. It's almost 6 pm at the moment, and I'm just starting to feel a bit of hunger. I have a yummy salmon salad planned, with a lovely balsamic vinaigrette dressing, and I can probably get myself to drink a heavy cream protein shake. Usually, I rejoice in the arrival of my 'summer' appetite because it means I naturally drift to crisp, green salad veggies, lots of cool drinks, fruits such as peaches and strawberries and later in the evenings after it cools off, grilled or cold meats. As far as LC goes, none of that is a problem (well, except maybe the peaches). HOWEVER....

If I eat to my appetite on days like this, I will be under 1500 cals for sure, and possibly under 1000.

I also have little taste for fat when it's hot, and having just learned that fat is my friend, I'm a bit concerned about how little of it I will be eating if left to my own devices over the summer. I absolutely do not want to sabotage my metabolism right now, either.

So, should I be forcing myself to eat when I am not hungry to keep the calories up, or should I accept my natural tendency to go on what is basically a protein-only mini-fast?

Thanks again for all the support, friends. You've all been wonderful.

Big hugs!

Friday
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 21:31

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

and to think I wanna move to Cali.

I hate hott weather

If ya can force yourself to eat without throwing up I'd say you'd have to ..to keep yer metabolism going and stuff..

I hate eating. When I lose my appetite I can't force myself or I'll throw up..lol Usually I'll either not eat or drink a protein shake.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 22:10

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hot day update: Calories 865, 34 g carbs (11 fiber), 44 g fat, 89 g protein.

That's w/o the protein shake that I am not hungry for.

To force feed or not to force feed, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in truth to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous metabolism.... LOL My apologies to the Bard.

Cheers,

Friday
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 17:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Things to eat in hot weather....

Salads with lots of dressing (low carb, of course)
Strawberries with heavy cream
Cold tuna or chicken salad with lots of mayo
Cucumbers in Mayo/Vinegar/Splenda dressing
Protein Shakes
Cold Grilled chicken strips dipped in garlic mayonnaise
Chicken or Shrimp Caesar Salad

HTH

Lisa