Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 09:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%
Default Breast tenderness and Atkins...warning: girly topic!

I have always been prone to breast tenderness during PMS, but while losing weight with Atkins (induction and OWL) the tenderness virtually disappeared. Now that I'm in maintence the soreness has come back with a vengence! Wearing a bra helps but when I'm without one...well, it feels like the dang things are going to fall off. Anybody else experience this? Any ideas of why eating induction foods helps? Maybe it's the ton of water I drank at that time? (Since I've been on maintence I don't drink as much.) Anybody else experience this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 08:50

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hmmm... I get sore ones during PMS, but not as often as I did when I was heavier. So now I get to enjoy my chronic back pain all on its own

Maybe now that you don't have as much fat on your chest, they are more sensitive??? I can't sit for long because I don't have all that cushion-y butt fat. Yeah, maybe they are pulling and it makes you sore??

Anyway, you should have your doctor check it out, just in case.

M
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 07:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was having severe PMS, and that's what brought me to LCing in the first place. Huge improvement, generally. Sometimes, I get unlucky and the breast tenderness comes back. I'm honestly not sure if it's the carb creeps or what. Perhaps there's just a tipping point where, if you have a little too much carbohydrate and insulin, that affects your hormones in such a way that it makes the PMS come back.

My only other idea is this: while you were losing, were there any supplements you were taking then that you aren't taking now? Certain supplements, like magnesium and GLA, are associated with PMS releif.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 09:30

Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%

I'm still taking the same supplements--a one-a-day vitamin, plus a magnesium and potassium for leg cramps. I'm thinking maybe it's more the water intake--I was doing 64 oz a day while losing, and now I'm drinking about half that much. (I know, I know, water is good for me, but I hated always having to find a bathroom wherever I was!--I felt like a model for that "gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now" commercial.) Now that that TOM has passed and I'm feeling better I think I'll try taking in more water when it gets closer to TOM next month and see if that helps. It's way past time for my checkup with the gynecologist so that's another reason I need to get an appointment soon.