Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 19:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/171/125 Female 5'4
BF:38%/36%/20%
Progress: 8%
Exclamation support at home

Hi everyone~
This is the first time I have ever posted. I just want all of you to know that reading this forum has been the best motivation and support i could have ever imagined...which brings me to my question...
Do any of you live with anyone that can't or doesn't really support your WOE/WOL? My husband is over six feet tall, but he only weighs like 145 lbs....i'm like a foot shorter and weigh a lot more. This is so discouraging, I want to run and hide! He refuses to give up tortillas, chips, bread, pastas, etc. If any of you out there are going thru anything like this, how do you cope? What do you do to make yourself not want to cave and eat whatever they're eating...
We have no kids, just dogs, so i'm really looking to you guys for my support.
Thanks for everything you've already done!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 20:19
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi here4help!

Welcome to the board. I live alone now so its not as difficult for me, but I live close to my mother and see her on a daily basis and spend most of my meals there anyway. She is super ultra vegan nut so the most I get from her is telling me that I am getting parasites in my body, that I am unelightened and that my body is way too acidic and a breeding ground for diseases (lovely imagery I know) But on the bright side, watching her eat nothing but raw veggies all day makes me feel like I am the one cheating by eating real meat and cheese and butter and eggs.

I had a similar situation with my ex boyfriend though. I eas trying to eat healthy and he would order pizza or chinese food keep junk food in the house and it would drive me nuts because I would see the food and control myself and then eventually get into a bad mood and go on an all out binge because the food was all there. It was really tough to try and eat differently, not to mention cook twice or cook things like pasta and rice and make sandwiches for him etc.

He fully supported what I was doing but didnt want to join. We did make some compromises that when he orders out he has to eat it in the spare bedroom and eat it all. The problem with the junkfood became so bad with me that I actually locked a closet in the spare bedroom with his junk food and I gave him the key, just so in my mind I cant access it. It worked for me. It was hard not to get tempted. At the time I also had my low fat or fat free treats (I was on a low fat high carb diet) So I would eat my skinnycow Ice cream when he would have his regular one etc. He tried to be good and not eat the junk food around me. Sometimes I caved and other times I felt really good that I didnt, and yet other times I didnt even know he ate the stuff till after.

Whatever you do, its hard, it just takes willpower(and if all else fails a lock and key). Support is key, hopefully he will make it as easy as possible and be supportive of you.

Good luck,

-MJ-
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 20:37
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

If he's unwilling to change after you explain it to him clearly, in a calm, NOT angry way, you have to change your reaction to the situation.

If he starts eating something that is a trigger to you, walk away. Something like "I need to be away from foods that are a problem for me, let me know when you're done"... either he'll change or he won't, but regardless, you won't have to watch him chow on something that's hard for you to resist.

between that and having lc options handy, it'll help. Even keeping his "bad" foods out of sight or in a high cupboard (that HE can reach, but YOU have to mount an everest-style assault to reach..lol) might help.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 23:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey Here4Help...

I'm in much the same boat - I live with my BF who is thin and does not need to lose weight. He is also quite a picky eater, and does not like veggies at all (besides carrots & corn *sigh*) and does *not* like to try new foods. Since I do the shopping & cooking, this means I have to do a lot of double preparing ... and while he's totally supportive, he's also totally clueless in a lot of ways

Having always been thin, he's never needed to read labels or figure out what foods have what effect on your body. (Which also means I can't use the, "try eating this way.. you'll lose weight" argument) So, to help me smooth things out for myself, I asked him to pick a time when he could sit and listen to me explain this in a lot of detail. This meant he picked a time he was willing to listen and learn, and it meant I got to really explain why I was eating this way, and what I could and could not have. Since then, he's been really respectful of not offering me goodies I can't have. Since I've gotten over the hump, I'm not tempted anymore by my former carby favorites (or at least not unmanageably so) so even though he asked me a bunch of times if it bothered me if he at this or that, I can honestly answer that I"m fine. (Plus *evil grin* since I do the shopping, we just don't buy some of my really tempting favorites hehehe).

The biggest factor for me is getting past the real cravings hurdle - and that helps make the cravings manageable for me. In my case, the fact that "just a taste" of something *IS* the kiss of death is a blessing. Otherwise, I can talk myself into trying a bit of this or a taste of that all day :/

My biggest hurdle right now is I don't have anyone to taste all the yummy concoctions I've come up with!!! AFter my big success, I want someone else to try it and see how good it is! Closest I can get is describing it in detail to my mother (lives in Toronto) and e-mailing the recipe to her for her to try ... she's good about that! She's LC-ing it too.

Are there any real big foods that trigger cravings for you? I've managed to find replacements for almost all of my favorite foods, (chips, pasta, candy, ice cream, fajitas, tacos, dessert, etc. etc) that I make at home, so I'd be happy to share if there's something you're looking for in particular!

Anyways - kind of a long-winded ramble, but if you're ever looking for support let me know! I can relate! (Oh yeah, and what kind of dogs do you have ??- I'm so envious!!! Always had dogs growing up, and I'm really missing them ... living in an apartment though, so not fair to have a dog *sigh*).

Wynter

Last edited by Wynter : Sat, Oct-18-03 at 23:15.