Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/123/120 Female 67 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 85%
Post Cla?

Any body taking this?

http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/Journa...ec/absA302.html

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemwee.../fats&oils.html

http://ods.od.nih.gov/Showpage.aspx?pageid=97

I have heard that studies have shown CLA can help put on more lean muscle. CLA is better used to keep fat off once you have lost it. CLA inhibits fat to re-enter the fat cell, so that once you have lost the fat, it won't fill the cell back up. CLA can increase lean body mass during development. so that means it would benefit you if you are doing some sort of weight training or resistance program. To receive benefits, 3 grams must be taken.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:31

Plan: low Carb..sim to atkins
Stats: 200/155/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 82%

I have used it, and I feel it worked well. In addition to the diet where I was losing inches everywhere but my problem areas it worked great. I lost inches around my waist which has been a problem for me even when I was young and in good shape.

One note, I took Green Tea for a couple of months along with the CLA, and it seemed prevent the CLA from working. GNC has good prices on CLA, they carry it in the supplement section and in the diet section in different packaging with different prices. A GNC Gold Card is definately worth the purchase price, it has saved us tons over the last year.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:34

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Wow. That is some impressive material in the links, and from high-quality web sites, too (I subscribe to the Journal of Chemical Education and use it heavily in my job).

After scanning that material, it seems that it could help and at worst not hurt to take this supplement. It's sold on the Atkins site, so it must have some value.

If you search in the Nutrition and Supplements Forum for CLA you will see lots of threads related to this supplement.

Joan

P.S. Where in Alabama are you? I'm in Huntsville.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 22:23
Registered Member

Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Great info Atkins 05.
I had purchased a bottle today and was on this web page to find out more about it.Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious...where did you get 3 gram daily??
Pam
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 06:39

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yes, I have just started to take the CLA with clarinol ~ Liquid form. I am not very good at swallowing pills and I have found this to work great. The taste is not the greatest but Its ok. I have heard only really good things about it, which made me go ahead and take it. I only have 1/2 tablespoon each morning. I am certain that I will start to see some results in inches within the next few weeks.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:50

I spoke with the owner of my gym this morning about CLA. He said some gym patrons had been taking it and it seemed to work. There are several members at my gym who participate in body-building contests (and win), and it seems to help with their muscle development.

The owner suggested I try it for 2 weeks, because if I was going to see any results they would show up in that time.

Added to my list of things to do today -- stop by Vitamin World.

Joan
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:09

Joan.......I'm in Huntsville too :-) Wonderful!!! I'm so excited to have a neighbor :-) I've been trying to send you a PM it wont go through?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:21

05 - I just tried to PM you but it said your mailbox is full. It may be that as a "new member" you can't get or send PM's.

It seems that there are a handful of us (on this forum) from Huntsville. I know that there are many more following the Atkins WOE - I work with a few.

It would be nice if we could all trade information on good restaurants for LC-ing and places to get LC products and nutritional supplements at decent prices.

Meanwhile, WalMart doesn't carry CLA, but I think Vitamin World in the mall does. I'm going to stop there on the way home from the gym in the morning.

Joan
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:45

Hey Joan,
Hopefully my PM will work soon...?
I stoped by GNC (after work) and took my 1st pill a few minutes ago. I paid $13.99 for 60 gel caps. I also ordered some on-line.... Here's the URL for that page on their website:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/
180 softgels ~ 1000 mg ea for $23.39 - can someone tell me if that's a good deal?
Also, they offer this URL for more info: http://www.tonalin.com
This is a sale price regular price is $38.99. Their s&h is $4.95.
This seems pretty good. All these extras are so expensive!!!! I'm now taking 5 supplements (Essential Oils, Basic 3, Milk Thistle, CoQ10, & L-Carnitine)

Where do you work out at? I workout at Cosmos (on sparkman drive) and Riviera (hwy 72/madison). I try to workout about 4-5 times a week.

I sure hope the CLA helps move these stubborn inches OFF!!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 19:14

Were you at Cosmos this morning (9-ish) on an exercise bike? I've been at Cosmos for almost 3 years now. Great place! Love the people there. Everyone's so friendly.

I'm eager to see if the CLA will work. I'm one of those people genetically predisposed to fat storage in the tummy. Even 4 years ago when my weight got down to 121 lbs I had the "female pouch." I know I'm not 20 anymore, but I'd sure like to have the abs of a 20-yr old!

I'm going to get the smallest size at Vitamin World. They have a 117-softgell (1000 mg) on sale for $24.96, plus I have one of their discount cards. But what you paid online isn't too bad. You don't have to fight the teenagers at the mall to get it!

Joan
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 19:40

No, that wasn't me. I normally workout at Riviera through the week and sometimes Cosmos on the weekend. Every now & then I go in at night and work out with my husband (Derrick). I went to Cosmos at lot more when Master Smith was there (Smith's Tae Kwon Do). I am paying for the membership so I should use it more :-)...... I agree everybody there is really nice. I really like Barry (the owner) he's great. I guess I like Riviera more because it's all "Girls" :-)
Please let me know what kind of results you have with The CLA ( and of course I'll keep you posted on my results as well).
..... Small world
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 22:30
Registered Member

Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I got my CLA 1000mg/90 day for $15.99 at a place called Mother's in California. I think they have a web page.
05, where did you get the daily dosage????????
Pam

Last edited by heremego : Tue, Jul-15-03 at 22:32.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 05:47

Hi Pam,
I got the dosage information from all the research I did. Check out the links I provided in the beginning of this thread. Most suggest 4000-5000mg daily.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 11:15

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hello,
I just started taking Cla. I took it almost a year. But been off for long time.
I thought it worked. But really dont know. But I was not working out. I have been doing curves 5 days aweek. and now walking 3miles and riding bike. 7 miles.
I take Cla by tonalin. 1000.{2pills twice a day.
Is that high enough?? Bottle saids 2 pills 2xs a day??
I Get mine at Walmart.60 gels for12-14 dollors.? I can not rember.
Let me know if you thing that dose is enough to get great results.
I also take fish oil. {Cold water Salmon> 1000mg.{2 pills 2xs a day. I get at walmart too.
It saids to take before breaskfast .!/2 hr. and !/2 hr. after dinner. But i dont do that. I just take when i get up and later in day. Is that ok??
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 07:23

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I checked for CLA at GNC - they care it in 1,000 gel caps. The recommended dosage on the bottle is one per day, but I'm hearing that I should be taking 4,000 - 5,000 per day. Any thoughts? Thank you.

I'm going to go get a bottle today and take with my relora.

Vikki