Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 19:12

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Getting back on track

Hi everyone,
I haven’t posted in quite some time. I’m going through arough time and have gotten off my low-carb diet. I put on about 7 pounds and all my joints ache. I’m very stressed because I hate my job. I have six more weeks to go in this job and then will start a new job. Any ideas how I can get back on doing low-carb? I have no willpower right now. Today I went to a church function and they served a carb lunch, I ate it and then started eating out of control again. It’s only been two weeks I’ve been out of control, but I don’t like how I feel and don’t want to deal with carb Cravings. Unfortunately, I don’t have much support at home either. Any suggestions would be welcome...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 20:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I dont have will power either. Just told DH that if there is not food for me at Easter dinner, Im not going to his mother's.

YOu need to eat on plan to keep cravings undercontrol. Cravings are a problem, so have a plan to deal with them. an ounce of high fat nuts, 2 tablespoons peanut butter. When you get back on plan, the cravings will quit, or at least slow way down.

Yes, I put my self and my health FIRST. You need to commit to yourself. You are worth it. Can you ask that others in the house not comment on your food choices?? If they love you, ask that they support you.

Can you control what foods go on your plate? I mean make the food you want and not depend on another person in the house for your meals???

THe easiest way to start IMO is just eat low carb stuff. If you are hungry eat more protein.

Buy--A large box of greens organic spring mix is 10 carbs, for 16 ounces. Plan on eating 1/2 box a day.Buy every few days as they dont keep.

Buy 2 dressings. ----- look for 1 carb for 2T serving. Like Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. If you like ITalien or Ceasers, again look for 1 carb per 2 tablespoons.

Optional- buy small glass bottle of extra virgin olive oil
optional--buy Bragg's UNpasturized apple cider vinegar
optional--buy whole mushrooms and 1 bunch scallions.

THese give a little change to your greens. Cut one scallion into peices, and/or 1 mushroom and put in your salad.

FOr a caesar type dressing, drizzle on extra olive oil, and 2 teaspoons vinegar.

Can you use the oven??? Hopefully you can or give it a try.

Buy chicken thighs, chicken breasts, and pork chops.

Use a metal pan with edges to keep in the juices. Like a 9 x 13 cake pan. Put chicken thighs in pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper or a seasoning of your choice, watch for sugar, bake 350 for 60 minutes. Use a hot pad or mitt to remove HOT pan to area safe for heat--on top of a hand towel if need be. Remove 1 thigh and cut open. Look at the juices as they pour out---will run clear. All chicken must be cooked until juices run clear-- so learn what this looks like.

Put other meat into freezer with your name on the package.

In my house my kids often eat dinner for breakfast. So to keep this simple, for 3 meals eat a salad and 1-2 pices of cooked meat.

As you practice cooking, your menu will widen.

ALso you can eat at Mcdonalds IF IF IF you can limit yourself to the burgers and a diet soda or a black coffee. Toss the buns and eat the burger. You might want 2-3 double burgers. THey also have salads. just bring yours with you.

Salads do need some oil to absorb the fat-saluable vitamins.

Can you do this?

Other options--

Buy sliced roasted beef at the deli and eat with mustard, and or cheese.
Buy sliced cheese like provolone or swiss at the deli.

Buy a bunch of celery. ANd Philadelphia cream cheese. THe block kind only.

Have cheese filled celery for a snack.

Can you do this?
I know not every one cooks. ANd if you depend on another to provide the meals and wont do what you need, THen roll up your sleeves and learn. In my family, my brother cooks, my husband cooks and his brothers and dad as well as the wives and the kids. ANyone can cook with some practice!!!

Keep meat cold. keep fresh meat in frig or freezer. Put cooked meat in refrigerator, on a plate covered with plastic wrap.

Wash everything raw meat touches. Never use utensil for raw meat and then for another food.

You can do this.

Also salads are available at most grocery stores. Keep to the greens for now and only a few extras like radishes, celery, hard cheeses. NO soft cheeses, no yogurts. ANd use your own slad dressing as these at the grocery are LOADED with sugar.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Mar-17-18 at 20:56.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 20:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

oh, on the mushrooms, remove the plastic and keep in frig. THey will dry out a little bit but taste ok.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 21:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Best place for mushrooms is in a paper bag. Even if they get forgotten in the back of the fridge they will just dry out, but not go slimy and horrible. And a dried mushroom can be rehydrated in warm water, and is almost as good as fresh. In fact, if I find a good deal on mushrooms I will purposefully buy more than immediately needed, and dry the rest. Won't work for salads, but are wonderfully suited for soups or sauces.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 00:54

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

For me getting and staying conscious of my food is the key. So I read and listen to podcasts about the WOE I have chosen over and over again, for motivation, information and to normalize what I'm doing -- its NOT weird and I am confident if someone challenges me -- I don't even have to respond because I am confident in my choices. I can't have the temptation in the house, I will eat it. I might start with just a few peanuts on a salad, but by day two I'm eating handfuls. I DO have support in my house, but it took me years to not be embarrassed to ask for it. I didn't want to impinge on other people's eating. But they didn't mind at all, and we can negotiate, AND once I was open and they were open I completely stopped my secret eating, which was so damaging to my own psyche. Ialso have to be careful to avoid boredom, as I will be tempted to fill time with food. I play instruments, I write emails, I read, I garden, I go for a walk....I do my nails, I organize my supplements....
All the practical things suggested above can help too. For me I call it getting into my groove, and its seems kind of magical, sometimes I have it and sometimes I don't, my goal is to increase the amounts of time that I have it -- and that comes through a combination of everything -- knowledge, motivation, avoiding temptation, having good choices available, enjoying the food that I CAN eat (no wasted food just shoved in unconsciously) , and then, the unbelievble encouragement which results from SUCCESS! .....finally, realizing that getting back on board is just as easy as that too. We can do it!! All the best!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 05:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. I wanted to post that I wish you luck getting your groove back, but luck has little to do with it. You just have to DO it. There's no short cut, there's no magic wand to wave. The momentum, enthusiasm and feeling better doesn't come until later. It takes a few days (at least) of dogging it.

Your course of action will depend on your psychology, what motivates you, your schedule, and your living situation. Please feel free to share a little more if you'd like more specific info from people who have been in your shoes...
- If you work normal business hours, take today to get your sh*t together. Take stock of what decent LC foods you have. Make a meal plan, do some shopping, prep some food for the coming work week, toss the carb crap. Forget about wasted money: you wasted the money the day you bought it. Eating it doesn't change that.
- I do better when I see things written down. YMMV. I have a white board on my fridge that I use to remind me of meal ideas, things that need to be used up before they expire, and things I need to pick up next time I'm shopping.
- Talk to your family/roommates/whoever you live with. They don't have to like what you're doing, but demand courtesy. It's YOUR body, and you make the decisions. This might involve having adults and older kids hide their carb crap from you. If you're the chef, then they can eat what you cook or cook for themselves!

I sympathize with job stress, or any kind of other stress. But poor eating makes your ability to handle it so, SO much worse. I've had many times that I can trace complete meltdowns to poor eating. I think after the fact, "why did that even bother me?" Don't underestimate food's power over the brain and emotions.

Another important idea: scare yourself. The joint pain is what alarms me here. This is what scares me into never voluntarily touching gluten again. I saw a family member in the end stages of arthritis and it's hideous. I'm no rheumatologist, but the way I see it, every 'ding' your joints get is permanent. There is no healing it. You can reduce the inflammation, you can make the pain go away, but you can't re-grow joint tissue that's been eaten away.

Keep us posted; take care of yourself.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 08:41

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Oh Kristine, yes, i forgot that point -- if I hadn't had the s*&&(t scared out of me by a diabetes diagnosis i'd still be 75 pounds heavier and miserable if not dead. I needed that, and ironically my quality of life is better now with diabetes than it was without. Sad huh? No wishing to go back in time. Just enjoy THIS time and keep on.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 08:53

BF:

This is all great advice. Definitely needed to hear this. Plan on printing this out and doing some shopping. Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I dont have will power either. Just told DH that if there is not food for me at Easter dinner, Im not going to his mother's.

YOu need to eat on plan to keep cravings undercontrol. Cravings are a problem, so have a plan to deal with them. an ounce of high fat nuts, 2 tablespoons peanut butter. When you get back on plan, the cravings will quit, or at least slow way down.

Yes, I put my self and my health FIRST. You need to commit to yourself. You are worth it. Can you ask that others in the house not comment on your food choices?? If they love you, ask that they support you.

Can you control what foods go on your plate? I mean make the food you want and not depend on another person in the house for your meals???

THe easiest way to start IMO is just eat low carb stuff. If you are hungry eat more protein.

Buy--A large box of greens organic spring mix is 10 carbs, for 16 ounces. Plan on eating 1/2 box a day.Buy every few days as they dont keep.

Buy 2 dressings. ----- look for 1 carb for 2T serving. Like Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. If you like ITalien or Ceasers, again look for 1 carb per 2 tablespoons.

Optional- buy small glass bottle of extra virgin olive oil
optional--buy Bragg's UNpasturized apple cider vinegar
optional--buy whole mushrooms and 1 bunch scallions.

THese give a little change to your greens. Cut one scallion into peices, and/or 1 mushroom and put in your salad.

FOr a caesar type dressing, drizzle on extra olive oil, and 2 teaspoons vinegar.

Can you use the oven??? Hopefully you can or give it a try.

Buy chicken thighs, chicken breasts, and pork chops.

Use a metal pan with edges to keep in the juices. Like a 9 x 13 cake pan. Put chicken thighs in pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper or a seasoning of your choice, watch for sugar, bake 350 for 60 minutes. Use a hot pad or mitt to remove HOT pan to area safe for heat--on top of a hand towel if need be. Remove 1 thigh and cut open. Look at the juices as they pour out---will run clear. All chicken must be cooked until juices run clear-- so learn what this looks like.

Put other meat into freezer with your name on the package.

In my house my kids often eat dinner for breakfast. So to keep this simple, for 3 meals eat a salad and 1-2 pices of cooked meat.

As you practice cooking, your menu will widen.

ALso you can eat at Mcdonalds IF IF IF you can limit yourself to the burgers and a diet soda or a black coffee. Toss the buns and eat the burger. You might want 2-3 double burgers. THey also have salads. just bring yours with you.

Salads do need some oil to absorb the fat-saluable vitamins.

Can you do this?

Other options--

Buy sliced roasted beef at the deli and eat with mustard, and or cheese.
Buy sliced cheese like provolone or swiss at the deli.

Buy a bunch of celery. ANd Philadelphia cream cheese. THe block kind only.

Have cheese filled celery for a snack.

Can you do this?
I know not every one cooks. ANd if you depend on another to provide the meals and wont do what you need, THen roll up your sleeves and learn. In my family, my brother cooks, my husband cooks and his brothers and dad as well as the wives and the kids. ANyone can cook with some practice!!!

Keep meat cold. keep fresh meat in frig or freezer. Put cooked meat in refrigerator, on a plate covered with plastic wrap.

Wash everything raw meat touches. Never use utensil for raw meat and then for another food.

You can do this.

Also salads are available at most grocery stores. Keep to the greens for now and only a few extras like radishes, celery, hard cheeses. NO soft cheeses, no yogurts. ANd use your own slad dressing as these at the grocery are LOADED with sugar.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 08:55

BF:

I agree. Started listening to my keto podcasts again. Guess I've got to make things a lot easier for me and more in my face to get back on track.

Yesterday, was a bad day... I almost started binge eating again due to the carbs. Stopped that more than a year ago. Thanks for the advice.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 11:25

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

What works for me is to start with 3 days of nothing but meat/poultry/fish, fat, salt and water/tea/coffee. Getting the carbs completely out quickly clears the brainfog and cravings, and 3 days is easier to commit to. YMMV, but cheese & dairy stokes many peoples' cravings. Then move on to Atkins Induction or whatever worked for you in the past. I also found reading my old books, visiting LCHF websites and listening to podcasts is a good way to strengthen my resolve to stay on track.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 16:47

BF:

Thanks. I'm feeling a little better today. Doing all on plan induction foods. It makes sense that my cravings are much better. Not gone, but better. Took a walk today while listening to The Obesity Podcast. Feeling a little stronger.

I have a tendency to run to carbs when getting stressed. I found it soothing for many years. Or at least thats what I told myself. Gained lots of weight and felt terrible afterwards. I also used to binge before. Actually, I binge ate for nearly 20 years. That all stopped when I went low carb. Thats why I panicked. I don't want that life anymore. I like not thinking about food all the time. I just need to remember that part of my brain (carb addict) kicks in when stressed and I can't trust it. One carb treat leads to two, three and then I'm back to where I started. The carb monster may never go away.... But maybe if I only eat low carb induction level foods, when I'm really stressed, I can stay in control.

I'll also hang out much more on the foroum. This helps. You guys understand how tough this addiction is. Not many people do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
What works for me is to start with 3 days of nothing but meat/poultry/fish, fat, salt and water/tea/coffee. Getting the carbs completely out quickly clears the brainfog and cravings, and 3 days is easier to commit to. YMMV, but cheese & dairy stokes many peoples' cravings. Then move on to Atkins Induction or whatever worked for you in the past. I also found reading my old books, visiting LCHF websites and listening to podcasts is a good way to strengthen my resolve to stay on track.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 18:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

Its a addiction and it will always be there. I brain wash myself into motivation by rereading forums studies and my low carb. books and magazines. I also surround my self with almost zero carb high fat food that's a easy grab and don,t worry about the amounts I,m eating for a few days. Your probly used to going to carbs to deal with stress but can relearn that habit. It took me about 6 months not to want to run to carbs when hit with stress. Now I have learned when I want to run to carbs for stress relief to listen to music or meditate or take a hot bath or walk instead.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-18, 17:41

BF:

Your so right.. I have to remember to think before just doing. Habit is carb addiction not soothing..
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyna
Its a addiction and it will always be there. I brain wash myself into motivation by rereading forums studies and my low carb. books and magazines. I also surround my self with almost zero carb high fat food that's a easy grab and don,t worry about the amounts I,m eating for a few days. Your probly used to going to carbs to deal with stress but can relearn that habit. It took me about 6 months not to want to run to carbs when hit with stress. Now I have learned when I want to run to carbs for stress relief to listen to music or meditate or take a hot bath or walk instead.