Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 10:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Volek et al. recommend purposely adding 2-3 g of sodium per day if you are eating less than 60 g of carbs per day (1-2 g of sodium is mentioned earlier in the book without regard to carb count); this would be ~5 g (5000 mg) of NaCl salt. Note the 1-3 g of salt is in addition to what's naturally in your food. I tend to get 500-2000 mg/day from food, so some days I do get a total of 5000 mg of Na.

Yeah! Thanks for clearing that up!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 12:08

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

I have sausage or ham at breakfast, bacon on salad at lunch two cups of broth during the day. I also ad salt to most things including my eggs in am. Salad dressing make with Feta cheese and mayo. Am I getting too much?

Last edited by tbagram : Mon, Oct-15-12 at 12:26.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 13:17

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

If you enter all that in the My PLAN programme (link at the top of the page) it will calculate how much you are getting, so you have a baseline to work with.

Last edited by Elizellen : Mon, Oct-15-12 at 13:27.
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 14:30

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I upped my salt in the form of bouilan cubes, I've gone from 2 to 3 cubes a day. I'm looking at 2.5g just in my salt water, not to mention what else I eat. I've kept my pottasium the same at 1/2 tsp a day. My cramp that I had 5 nights ago, was still giving me pain. Last night, I noticed it eased up, no longer in pain from that single cramp!

Upping the salt, has not hindered my weight loss (in the form of water retention) either. I just had a lovely woosh this morning
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-12, 07:23

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:

Well, after one week on Induction I am down 3 pounds. Fear of diarrhea and joint pain have kept me from all wheat products. I dont want to get started on the non-glutten products because they are still high in calories. I think I feel better all around since upping the salt.

Last edited by tbagram : Wed, Oct-17-12 at 12:33.
  #111   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-12, 14:35

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

#112   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

That's a really interesting article and answers some of my questions.
I've just started supplementing with salt. I bought a blood pressure monitor to check and provide some reassurance and my blood pressure is slightly on the low side so that's fine. Also indicates, along with a faster heartbeat than normal, that maybe I do need some salt - previous blood work showed that my sodium levels were very low and since then I haven't supplemented as much salt as this thread indicates.

I've had a bit of a flare in the last week and I thought I was coming out of it. A flare being a crushing fatigue, short of breath, feel stressed (although no reason why I should feel stressed), tired and heart beating faster than normal. These flares are very disabling. I have ME and the flares reduce my level of function dramatically - I am virtually housebound.

I thought I was coming out of the flare but it's back to crushing. I started supplementing with sea salt and rock salt, taking a 1/3 teaspoon of salt 3 times a day and started to feel better. I'm taking it in about 500ml of water and drinking it during the day, along with normal water, but mainly the salt water. Am I doing this right? I did supplement with a bit of potassium but it increased my heart rate more so I don't think I need potassium right now.

See this thread for details on where I am/was. Any thoughts? Thank you, I really appreciate your advice.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=449093
  #113   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 13:31
Experimenter

BF:

So the salt seems to be working?

1 tsp is fine. That's almost 2000mcg of sodium, not quite half the 5000mcg recommended by Phinney/Volek.

You might try as much as 2 tsp, depends on how much salty food you eat, I suppose.
  #114   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 13:32
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

To follow my last post - from the other thread I think I do need potassium and magnesium which I will take. So really just asking for advice re actually taking the salt..many thanks.
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 13:32
Experimenter

BF:

Do you take any other meds or supplements, Suee?
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 15:02
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Ah thank you Nancy, it is so useful to get your advice. I did start adding salt to my water when I realised these flares could be dehydration but only a little pinch- far below the recommendations. And then I stopped because I thought it was too much!

I think the salt water is helping. I think rather than the water passing through like water over a rock maybe I have hydrated a little overnight. I will supplement much more salt - thanks for pointing that out. I had my dinner with potassium salt and salt and drinking some more salt water - I am feeling steady. I will have more salt water before bed too.

The other supplements I take are efa 2-3g daily, magnesium citrate 400g daily, and vitamin C - dose varies. I need to get a good multivitamin I know, and I've been advised to take b vitamins. The link had a good list of recommendations. Do you think there is anything specific that I should concentrate on? Hope you are doing well.
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 15:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Do you just drink salt water or plain water too? To get that much salt in I think I'm going to have to just drink salt water!
  #118   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 17:48
Experimenter

BF:

If I need more sodium I use broth or Miso soup. Tastier than salt water.
  #119   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 22:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

I use 1/4 tsp in 12 oz of water, 2 times a day. I actually look forward to it.
  #120   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 23:30

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...

I use 1/2 tsp in 4 oz water in the morning

then I put 3/4 tsp in a ramekin and use it everywhere throughout the day