Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-12, 17:38

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%
Default Revision of Bernstein

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabet...ig-book?ic=8001

Quote:
Dr. Bernstein's Big Book

Written by David Mendosa

If you follow a very-low carb diet to manage your diabetes, you have no better starting point than the big book by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein. Even if you have been on a very low-carb diet for years, as I have, this book is a basic guide to refer to again and again.

Until a few days ago I had only four of his books. Three of them, Diabetes Type II, The Diabetes Diet, and Beating Diabetes, are important. But the fourth one, Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars, is essential. So essential, in fact, that I keep and have studied the first, second, and third editions of this book.

But the first edition came out in 1997, the second edition appeared in 2003, and the third in 2007. Since management of diabetes changes so fast, that’s long ago.

Now, the fourth edition, newly revised and updated, is out. I asked Dr. Bernstein if he had a summary of the differences between this and the previous edition that could guide me in writing this review.

The fourth edition has “hundreds of additions and changes, too numerous to relate,” he replied. At least one-third of the text is changed.

But some of the updates cover new drugs for treating Type 2 diabetes, including what works and how to use them. He tells how we can curb our carb cravings and the resultant weight gain by using new amylin analogues.

The book considers the pros and cons of inhaled insulin, insulin pumps, and continuous blood sugar monitors as well as how to make sense out of the many new insulin analogues and insulin mixtures, with special attention to a problem that many people who have hypoglycemic unawareness have, the fact that we no longer can get any long-lasting human insulins.

He also wisely debunks the exaggerated claims for new diabetes products. At the same time he highlights those of value.

The fourth edition is also somewhat bigger, 535 pages, compared with 520 pages in the previous edition. This big book regularly retails for $29.95. But Steve Freed, the owner of Diabetes in Control, tells me that you can buy it for $24.95 at diabetes911.net.

Dr. Bernstein is one of my heros, so much so that I recently nominated him for an award. Here is some of what I wrote in that application:

Richard K. Bernstein, M.D., is a physician and creator of a treatment that has made normal blood glucose control possible for people with diabetes.

In 1946, at age 12, he developed type 1 diabetes. For more than 20 years he followed his doctor’s standard recommendations for people with diabetes, but he began to suffer complications, including kidney disease.

Then, in 1969, when he was an engineer, he procured the first blood glucose meter, intended for use by hospital emergency departments. He conceived the idea that patients should measure their own blood glucose. He soon realized that his levels fluctuated wildly. Experimenting with his diet, he began to control his blood glucose by severely restricting the carbohydrates he ate. He also invented a new way of using injected insulin that mimicked the normal pancreas—now called “basal/bolus dosing.”

He believed that this technique could be used to assist others with diabetes. But, as a layperson he had difficulty gaining attention of physicians to change the standard treatment and could not get his ideas published.

So, when he was 45 years old he went to medical school, hoping that an M.D. degree would enable him to get published. In 1983, he opened his medical practice as a diabetologist.

Now, at age 77 he still has an active medical practice. He has written nine books and more than 100 articles about diabetes and has lectured at many professional meetings. He offers a free monthly webcast advising medical professionals and people with diabetes around the world.

Since the discovery of insulin in 1922, no one in the world has helped more people to manage their diabetes to achieve a long, healthy life.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-12, 20:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

He's a wonder, all right! Everyone should read his books; I eat low carb partly because I don't want to develop diabetes. It will "scare you straight"!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-12, 20:35
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Amazon has it for $17.00.
I can't wait to get my hands on it for my patients!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 16:31

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Thanks for the update on Dr. B's work
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 07:20

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Yes Diabetes Solution has been the reference document for me.

It should be interesting to read the latest addition.

Thanks,

Ralph
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 05:57

Plan: Low-Carb Mediterranean Di
Stats: 173/168/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I think he had to revise it, partially, because the penultimate edition favored rosiglitazone over pioglitazone as a diabetes drug. Of course, rosiglitazone is barely available in U.S. now since it is linked to heart disease. That must have bugged Dr. Bernstein to no end.

Dr. B is a national treasure.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 08:30

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

the world needs more people like dr. B in it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 17:03

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
I think he had to revise it, partially, because the penultimate edition favored rosiglitazone over pioglitazone as a diabetes drug. Of course, rosiglitazone is barely available in U.S. now since it is linked to heart disease. That must have bugged Dr. Bernstein to no end.

Dr. B is a national treasure.

Took that stuff practically since it came out until last summer.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 10:03

BF:

ICDogg, that's about the time the U.S. FDA put severe restrictions on it. Lawyers where I live are advertising on TV for folks who think rosiglitazone hurt them.

-Steve
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 19:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

And this is why controlling with diet is such an important tool in the lineup. The ADA encouraging people to eat so many carbs and "cover" it with drugs is a hideous travesty of disease advocacy.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
ICDogg, that's about the time the U.S. FDA put severe restrictions on it. Lawyers where I live are advertising on TV for folks who think rosiglitazone hurt them.

-Steve

They're advertising here too. I don't think the Avandia ever hurt me, which is more than I can say for some other medications I've had. I even had a stress test for my heart a couple of years ago when I was still taking 8mg a day and had been for several years. Everything checked out fine.

But maybe I just dodged a bullet there. The next drug they use me as a guinea pig for might just kill me.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 23:17
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

My father had a fatal heart attack while taking Avandia.

I'm glad that Dr. Bernstein has stopped recommending it.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 09:08

BF:

Just to be clear...
When Dr. B was recommending it in the penultimate version of his masterpiece (2007?), nobody knew that it might cause cardiac toxicity. That evidence didn't appear until after publication.

-Steve
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 15:29

But he may have to do it again if the Actos bladder cancer issue gets any bigger.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-12, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's Diet
Stats: 209.5/204.5/130 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I just purchased his latest edition. I am really looking forward to increasing my overall knowledge and understanding of type II. I get the whole control the carbs part (getting it and doing it are two different things!) but I would still like to refine my understanding of the biology and physiology of the disease.