Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 07:47
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 175/168.4/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Blood glucose heading down?

A little background: dx'ed Insulin Resistant, hypothyroid (even while on Levoxyl!), and Adrenal Fatigue

So immed. started taking my low carb diet way more seriously! Have lost 6-1/2 lbs! Also I started checking my glucose in the mornings just to get a baseline. I went from glucose readings of 115 ten days ago to 77 this a.m. It's been a steady downward trend so it's not like it was 115 yesterday and 77 today.

Changes in lifestyle include: seriously LCing, adding a small amount of iodine to boost thyroid, protein powder, DHEA, Omega 3, cal-mag, and Vit D-3. (All under dr. supervision).

any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 11:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sounds like you're definitely on the right track! Excellent!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 15:34

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

nancy how have your readings been? Mine have not been good. usually FBG is between 105-115. If I drink glass of dry wine the night before then it might drop ten points. I'm going back on the berberine and I'm also trying to find some of the pu erh tea that cajunboy has been talking about.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 17:00
Experimenter

BF:

Becky, let me know how it works out. My readings have been stalled out in the 95-105 range. Really nothing has budged them yet except I think my own hormonal fluctuations. I ran out of strips though so I'm not sure if anything has changed in the last couple of weeks.

I've changed my eating patterns a bit. I'm off dairy products again and I'm cutting down on the amount of food. Carbs range from 20-40 per day.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 17:12

BF:

Nancy are you taking any kind of herbs or drugs? Your readings aren't bad....not great but not bad. I think mine tend to go up in the summer. I tend to eat more carbs but I still keep it under 60 grams. Also I don't do as much cardio exercise. I mainly stick to yoga and t-tapp. A good 45 minute cardio session will lower it 10-20 points.

I found this advertised in my pilates style magazine. http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/...home.d2w/report

cajunboy if you read this give me your opinion. It's not in cakes or bricks though and I was wondering if loose was as good.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 17:44

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm really confused- what is wrong with a fasting blood sugar under 115?

V.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 19:06

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-effect
I'm really confused- what is wrong with a fasting blood sugar under 115?

V.

I'll bite...

For me, an FBG of 115 means that when I eat, my BG will probably spike to about 155 and perhaps as high as 170. Considering that I don't like going over 140 after meals, I would need to keep my FBG lower, so I don't spike as high after a meal. Usually, for me, my BG rises up to 40 points at 1 hour after meals.

Other diabetics might have different reasons, but that is how I see it for me...
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 20:09
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 175/168.4/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Sounds like you're definitely on the right track! Excellent!

Nancy - phew! I was a bit worried that it was too much of a drop in the 2+ weeks I've been keeping track. But doc told me this evening that it was fine.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 23:24
Experimenter

BF:

NM, misunderstood something.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 04:57

BF:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
I'll bite...

For me, an FBG of 115 means that when I eat, my BG will probably spike to about 155 and perhaps as high as 170. Considering that I don't like going over 140 after meals, I would need to keep my FBG lower, so I don't spike as high after a meal. Usually, for me, my BG rises up to 40 points at 1 hour after meals.

Other diabetics might have different reasons, but that is how I see it for me...

Ron my numbers after meals virtually never get over 125 but I keep a much tighter control on carbs than you do. If I ate like you I'm sure I"d see readings above 140. Still.....I can't seem to get my FBG below 100 without herbs. Still thinking about the pu erh tea but that's as far as I've gotten....thinking...

I have some of the huang lian su on order. It helped last time I took it and I'm hoping it works this time too.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 05:04

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Becky,
Activity timing in the evening, after the evening meal, have you tried that. Also, how many hours from last meal is your FBG reading.... I snack on fruits sometimes as late as bedtime and still my readings go down during the night.. My FBG is usually right about 8 hours... I feel lucky...

Marrin,
Don't get too excited about the lower numbers, but do be happy you have them. We're all one meal away from those high numbers! Never forget that....
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 05:51

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Well as I have been losing weight, both my bp has gone down and I have been able to get off of 80units a day of basal insulin and 30 units per day of bolus.

Right now my morning FBG is around 120 to 125 each day and I am happy with that given that I have been able to get off of the insulin. Getting off the insulin makes it easier to drop weight.

Now, I am aware that having carbs will push my BG up so I am careful as to how many carbs I have each time I do have something. By following the HMR program I am eating small meals/snacks 4-6 times a day. Also my BG does drop after I have a small breakfast and I still take my Metformin ER 1000mg in the AM and PM.

So all in all I am very happy with the numbers. I am not concerned at this point about going over 140 for an hour or so. MY 2 hour postpriandal is always under 140 and usually back to 120.

I know as I drop weight these numbers will continue to improve. My main focus now is dropping weight with my new way of eating. It is working. It has slowed but it is working.

Ralph
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 07:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Becky,
Activity timing in the evening, after the evening meal, have you tried that. Also, how many hours from last meal is your FBG reading.... I snack on fruits sometimes as late as bedtime and still my readings go down during the night.. My FBG is usually right about 8 hours... I feel lucky...

Marrin,
Don't get too excited about the lower numbers, but do be happy you have them. We're all one meal away from those high numbers! Never forget that....

what do you mean by activity timing? I usually take FBG 12 hours after eating. And then sometimes I'll take it again two hours later and it will be lower. One evening I took it at bedtime and it was 88. Took it twelve hours later after fasting and it was 105.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 07:45

BF:

I keep forgetting to mention in my posts that I am taking this:

http://www.roex.com/(S(ujzw5u451ccj...100,523,93.aspx

I have taken it in the past and it helps keep pp numbers down after meals and throughout the day but I always have the DP even with this supplement. I think I did better with DP on the single herb bitter melon along with the milk thistle.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 08:30

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"I think I did better with DP on the single herb bitter melon along with the milk thistle."
Bitter melon has helped my FBG a lot.I am switching from bitter melon pills to bitter melon tea(www.charantea.com).
Cheers from hot humid Houston
Eddie