Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 17:35
OWL More Veggies

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/223/175 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Daily Check in's?

Hi, thought it might be fun to have daily check in's so we can keep up with eachother and make sure everyone is doing well.
Since I live on the Pacific Coast someone else should start in in the mornings. (Like in England)?? or the eastern shores, but first one on starts it.

Anyone what to join me
Things we could discuss:
New recipes
Exercise we do
Family, pets, hobbies, volunteer work - work!
What we did yesterday and/or want to do today or plan to do?
Jokes, I got one today from my cousin who never ever sends stuff like that. It was so funny. I wonder if I can post it here. I'm going to try.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 17:40
OWL More Veggies

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/223/175 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 40%

Humm, can't seem to paste pictures. Its been forever since Ive tried, think Ive forgotten
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 16:27
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hiya Blue Pasting pictures huh? I spent days and nights and have no idea how I did it.
So, what would you like to chat about?
We have 3 dogs (?) and 2 cats. The question mark is because a stray golden retriever all bones and obviously been abused and definately wacky moved in under our house over a week ago. She is so screwed up. Wants to be friendly but scared stiff.
Have 2 stupid poodles almost 2 but more like 3 mos; a 17 yo deaf beagle, one long haired male cat that adopted us last spring when he was about 4 months old(skinny as all get out) and a crazy siamese female.
Am married. for 2nd time. Was married 37 yrs and well, I just could't stand it any longer... then met hubby #2 after 4 weeks of being single
Met 6/29/01 and married 8/17/02. This one is a keeper. We do have an age difference...I am 17 yrs older than he is...LOL.keeps me smiling
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 18:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Cricket....would you prefer to just join Bluepants here, rather than trying to keep up in the challenge thread too? This is pretty much what I was hoping for anyway. It looks like at least 3 of us are interested in giving it a try. I'll go get what I just posted in the challenge thread and bring it here, and we can start posting here instead if you want to.

Edit: This is in response to what Cricket had written in the other thread, but...here it is anyway.

Hey Cricket. LOL at your gypsy kid and insane cats.

Blueberries....NIIIICE! We have 2 bushes, which are 2 years old now....last year I got a whopping 12 berries off of them. I'm hoping for a better crop this year. Any tips?
We also have 3 grape vines and 2 peach trees. We also have lots of wild animals and they get most of everything. Our peach trees were loaded last year....we were waiting for them to get ripe....so were the raccoons and dear. I think they left us about 6.

DH has big plans for our garden this year. We always have one....but it's nothing to brag on most years. We have 30 acres, mostly trees. We had a couple of horses for a while...they were so fabulous to watch....but they were too young, and liked to bite. And we were too inexperienced. It was a happy day when they left. My DH's cousin trains them, that is where we got them, and he bought them back after a couple of years. Watching him with them is amazing. They will do anything he tells them to do. I mostly just tried to stay out of their way. They are some BIG animals. But gorgeous ones!

Update: I got a little closer to getting all the protein in, but still not great. I did get my exercise in.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 21:54
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Galatia Love the links you post!And Hi to Bluepants and Snickers
Well, I wish you gals could pick some of my berries! We have the 2 acres of them and can't get them all picked. This year we do a pick your own. Fertilizer is a must in early spring. Pone a nice deep hole next to the plant and pour the fertilizer right into the root areas. I need to tkae the golf cart up there and ride through the rows to see what needs to be done. The grape arbours are in need of repair. We bought this place 2 yrs ago and have been rebuilding it. There's a pear tree here that has the type that does not get soft and is used in canning. That is getting cut down. It had one pear on it the year we moved here, and last year had hundreds of huge fruit. I tried to do something with them but it isn't worth the effort.Don't need to feed the fire ants.
Had a horse farm in NYS and sold it in '96 when I oved to FL. Daughter is moving here in about 2 yrs and she'll set up a training center here.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 22:02
Registered Member

BF:

now for the diet... I am trying the higher fat diet and canot get the fat up. I know the protein is lower than it should be... at my weight, what do you recommned the % to weight is?
I had 07.74 total carbs today. I have no problems low carbing!
My protein was 67g, fats 502.5g;calories 1059. I know these are off. I'm not fanatical but would lie to see how far off I am.
I enjoy fish and have a little chicken or pork occassionally..maybe once a week. I have eggs and heavy cream, butter and usually have tilapia fillets once or even twice a day. I do better with having 2 carbs of iceberg lettuce every few days.and treat myself to brussels sprouts for a higher carb day. Does that sound very off to you?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 23:38

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

May as well join in here. Hi, all!

I'm 52, been on Atkins for lo these many years (six? seven?) and have recently started Intermittent Fasting to take off five pounds of winter podge that wasn't budging. It's mostly off now - after just two weeks! - but I plan to continue IF in the hopes of maybe, eventually, who knows, finally, getting to goal! I'm totally jealous of people who seem to drop weight eating a zillion calories six times a day, but I guess when you're over 50, female, and not very big, that isn't going to happen. Still, I'm in my healthy weight range, and, unlike the rest of my family, show no signs of metabolic syndrome, and I owe it all to low carb.

No blueberries, no horses, no acreage, no stray dogs, just a small condo in the middle of the city (Vancouver BC Canada) and one very strange, neurotic cat. I teach undergraduate college/university English.

Rachel
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 10:30

BF:

Hi Cricket and Rachel. I hope Snickers finds her way here too, and Bluepants comes back. And welcome to anyone else who would like to join us.

Cricket, thanks for the blueberry tip. I will do exactly what you suggested. I hate that you have to cut down the pear tree....did you consider letting people pick those too, since you're doing a pick your own blueberries? I canned pears one year....they were so good.

Quote:
I know the protein is lower than it should be... at my weight, what do you recommend the % to weight is?

Protein: 1 gr. per lb of goal weight. So, my goal weight right now is 130 so I try to eat 130 gr. of protein a day.

What is your target for fats, carbs, and calories?

My carbs come from lowcarb bread and vegetables mostly.

Rachel: Glad you've joined us.
I just started IF Feb. 7th. I love the control I'm feeling over eating, but have yet to stay on my meal plans, therefore haven't really lost much. I've been good about staying within my 4 hour window, and that is BIG for me. It's really helped my binge eating problem. And it's so nice to feel full! I was always chasing after that "full feeling" and rarely experiencing it. Then would come the binge eating. My window is noon to 4:00, and I exercise around 2:00 so it's working really well. My energy/strength level is much better doing this.

Rachel, how do you like teaching? My DS is getting his teaching degree now and plans to teach a year and then go to law school. But he isn't 100% sure he wants to be a lawyer, so that could change. He is sure he wants to experience teaching. I'll be glad when he gets it all figured out.

You've done great with your weight. You mentioned calories....how many are you getting?

I'm zig-zagging my macros (cals, fats, carbs, prots.). I have a plan that I think is going to work well....soon as I start doing it. My routine has been messed up lately but should be back on track now, so next week I'm very hopeful.

I tried that cauliflower pizza crust yesterday. It was good, and easy. Makes 4 servings and I ate all 4. I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested.

Cricket....17 years younger huh? I can't imagine.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 16:34
Registered Member

BF:

[QUOTE=galatia]
Cricket, thanks for the blueberry tip. I will do exactly what you suggested. I hate that you have to cut down the pear tree....did you consider letting people pick those too, since you're doing a pick your own blueberries? I canned pears one year....they were so good.

Protein: 1 gr. per lb of goal weight. So, my goal weight right now is 130 so I try to eat 130 gr. of protein a day.

What is your target for fats, carbs, and calories?

My carbs come from lowcarb bread and vegetables mostly....[END QUOTE]

Hi galatia
YW on the berries, and I can't give the pears away. They stay hard as rocks and no one wants to bother. It is a shame, and if it were some place else I wouldn't cut it down. It is at the edge of the driveway and planted too close to a huge oak... not nearly worth the pruning efforts needed.

I was too low on protein but I will work hard at getting it up.I don't know though about 135 gms...

fats I want to be 80% per the high fat thread but I had to ask how much that should be... I had 502 gms fat and 1519 calories which is very high for me.
I try to stay up to 1000. All the fats brought that up.

I am staying very low carb.under 20 and under 10 if I can except on veggies day. I do alternate below 10 to 20 carbs.Total not net carbs. I stall with veggies and now have 1-2 gms of iceberg lettuce or some brussels sprouts for the veggetables and that is not everyday.

I don't have grains, nuts, seeds or fruits yet. Veggies are from induction list.

But I did lose another 0.5 lbs today!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 16:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hello Ladies!

I'd like to join you all in this as I am now 57 yrs old...yikes!! soon to be 58.

I've been a bit below my goal weight now for more than 2 yrs....but truth be told...I'd like very much to head to 150 and am working my head into doing it.

I am bad about getting my butt into the gym....I am lazy! I walk dogs for 4-5 hours daily and am quite tired when I get home but that is no excuse for me to not go.

I'm not married and have no human kids but do have furry 4 legged kids, 3 of them....of the canine variety. I live in NYC, right in the heart of it...so no gardening for me.

I'd like to commit to going to the gym 2 times by this coming Sunday!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 17:33

BF:

Hi Cricket and Judy. Judy, I'm so glad you're joining us. I'm gonna hold you to getting to the gym. You know you love it when you're in the habit of it. After you get a few days behind you, you'll be hooked again.

I have 2 furry girls now. My oldest girl died last summer. I had to have her put down, she had gotten in such bad shape with old age. It was one of the hardest things I've every had to do in my life. I still can't think of her for long without crying. She was a wonderful friend and part of our family. But we still are blessed with Cloe' (teacup poodle/ 12 yrs.) and Harley (cocker spaniel mostly 4 yrs.). There's a picture of Harley in my gallery. They are both so precious to me.

Judy you've done GREAT with your progress....if you decide to get to 150, no doubt you'll do it.

Cricket~ great on the loss. Any loss is good loss.

My eating was much better today. I finally ate on plan. My exercising was good too. Got in weights and cardio. So....successful day here.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 18:34
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thanks for the welcome Gala!!

So sorry about your loss.... I too, have an old one...Honey is a chow mix rescue and is now 16 yrs old....so her days with me are numbered. I am grateful for each day we have now as I almost lost her this past fall and it hit me hard. I've also got a 16 lb shih-tzu named Gomez.....he's 9 yrs old...then there is my 6 yr old cattle dog Daisy...Daisy is the one that got me to a couple of places, agility training and shy dog seminar...both of which got me going to finally lose all that weight!! She has been a blessing to me!!

I've had to put down 2 of my dogs over the years. I comfort myself knowing that I gave them an end with peace, dignity and no pain. More than we can do for ourselves.

Way to go on getting your food right today!!

One thing that I now know for sure, that doing exercise without getting the food right is not the best way.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 18:44

BF:

Judy, Koda, my girl I lost last summer, was a chow/shepherd. We got her from the shelter. BEAUTIFUL. And smart!! She was a treasure.

Is anyone keeping up with American Idol? What T.V. shows do y'all watch?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 21:54
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Galatia good job on sticking power!
Hey there Judy! I actually read your profile last week after reading one of your posts someplace. My folks used to live in the heart of the city. right off Broadway.
My oldest hairy child ( actually guradian for him) is 17 yr old deaf beagle. I lost my 21 yr old yorkie/schnauzer cross 2 yrs ago. She was such a good friend. I 've lost a lot of pets over the years. And a few horses as well. Not easy, but I always said too, that at least we can do for our pets what we can't do for our family. Did you know that the child abuse and welfare laws came into place because of the animal abuse laws? We finally figured out that our kids should have the same rights as animals. My last position was with Hospice, so at least those clients got to die with dignity and free of pain.

Today my cals were up.1918. carbs 8.3; fats 137.25gs and 96.5 gs of protein. That is a lot better than yesterday, but I have got to get the calories down. I want to be around 1000 again.
If the protein gets lower, then that will be that. I will try to alternate but I want the high fats.
When the weather warms up I hope to be abe to walk a bit.
Judy, you are tall but you can sure get to your new goal
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 22:02
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia

Is anyone keeping up with American Idol? What T.V. shows do y'all watch?

I haven't missed a week since the first year!
When I go to Chicago to take care of my daughter in a couple of weeks we may have a battle. She hates the reality shows.
She's Was a HS English teacher and now a Special Ed teacher but she has been a proessional singer for years..she'sreally good. Turned down a contract about 13 yrs ago. She sings at clubs and private affairs. Mostly country but does whatever the clients want...so, she can't stand the way Simon mouths off.I think he is right although a bit rude at times.Everyone wants her to try out for it but she wants no part of showbiz on the bigger scale.