Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-08, 20:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/154/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default The Low Carb Grocery?

Has anyone shopped here? There is a store in Toronto on Yonge St. just N of Lawrence. They have an on-line store and ship across Canada.
I am going to try some Shirataki noodles and a couple of the Davinci Syrups(Chai Tea and English Toffee) I can't wait to try them!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-08, 20:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/145/125 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisleone
Has anyone shopped here? There is a store in Toronto on Yonge St. just N of Lawrence. They have an on-line store and ship across Canada.
I am going to try some Shirataki noodles and a couple of the Davinci Syrups(Chai Tea and English Toffee) I can't wait to try them!

I havent as of yet, I would like to.
will try to get there maybe sometime next month, I really would like to try the low carb tortillas.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-08, 21:32
Intermittent Feaster

Plan: DSTSS
Stats: 280/188/175 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I ordered from them a couple of weeks ago. They shipped the day of my order by expedited post, and I'm so pleased with the experience that I'll be ordering again next week (though I want to bump my order up over $100 to get the $3.99 shipping rate). Many of the products have customer reviews, which are very helpful.

By the way, where do you live? I found shirataki noodles at a specialty food store in Halifax for about the same price (but no postage, of course), and I believe you can get them at Oriental markets.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 06:21

Stats: 190/154/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Mama Lu, I am in the Niagara Peninsula near Niagara Falls about 1 1/2 hrs. from Toronto. There are most likely some oriental food stores somewhere around here that sell the noodles, but I thought this would be an easy way to try them without running around to find them. If I like them I'll investigate some more. How did you like the noodles? I am really curious to try them. I do miss pasta some times so am hoping to enjoy these.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 08:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey Aisleone, I think I live near you: PM me tomorrow, after you make one more post (that's when PM privileges kick in) and I can tell you where you can find konnyaku noodles.

I went to the LC Grocery last time I was in TO. I didn't want $100 worth of stuff, so I figured five bucks on the TTC would be cheaper than shipping. It was an easy trip: it's right outside the South exit of the Lawrence Stn, on the East side of Yonge. I don't like spending money on the expensive imported frankenfoods, but they do have good deals on clearance stuff. I got a giant bag of Carbalose flour for ten bucks.

Last edited by Kristine : Tue, Jan-29-08 at 08:47.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 09:04
Intermittent Feaster

Plan: DSTSS
Stats: 280/188/175 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I happen to like slurpy noodles, so I liked them. They do have a fishy smell straight out of the bag, but I rinsed them for a long time, and then dried them out for a bit in a slightly greased pan before adding butter and cream and crême fraiche. What I tasted was butter and cream and crême fraiche, so there were no off flavours. I'm not sure that the texture would lend itself to a tomato-based sauce (well maybe a cream-based tomato sauce), so think of them as a noodle replacement rather than pasta. You might be able to get more moisture out of them by heating longer in a dry pan, but I was worried that they might get tough. You can find out quite a bit about cooking them by searching this site and by googling.

They would, of course, work really well in an oriental stir fry or a Thai-flavoured dish (coconut milk or low-carb peanut sauce).
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 09:17
Registered Member

Stats: 264/243/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 25%

The Low Carb Grocery has great people and great products. I order from them all the way across the country in Vancouver. Too bad I can't get there on the TTC, heh!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 20:49

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 168/150/148 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 90%

Ditto. I order from them quite often. The one time there was a problem - a Davinci syrup bottle broke - they gave me a credit.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-08, 20:32
Registered Member

Stats: 219/206/140 Female 163 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I havent made an order yet But I plan too they have a lot of products that I cant get locally, but Im saving up as the thing I want to buy I consider treats not everyday stuff,lol!

But very glad to hear they have wonderful service!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 16:07

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200/186/140 Female 5' 2"
BF:Way too much
Progress: 23%
Default shirataki noodles

Hi there:

Wow, Yonge and Lawrence ... my old stomping grounds! Rode the good old TTC for years too! My hubby was born and raised at Y & L, we still have family there ... we now live in beautiful BC, since about 15 years ago.

Just wondering what shirataki noodles & konnyaku noodles are??

I'm presuming they are ok on LC and made with something 'legal'??

Will check out the low carb grocery store on line too - thanks.

Cheers,
Paula
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '92
Stats: 245/220/130 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Lu
I happen to like slurpy noodles, so I liked them. They do have a fishy smell straight out of the bag, but I rinsed them for a long time, and then dried them out for a bit in a slightly greased pan before adding butter and cream and crême fraiche. What I tasted was butter and cream and crême fraiche, so there were no off flavours. I'm not sure that the texture would lend itself to a tomato-based sauce (well maybe a cream-based tomato sauce), so think of them as a noodle replacement rather than pasta. You might be able to get more moisture out of them by heating longer in a dry pan, but I was worried that they might get tough. You can find out quite a bit about cooking them by searching this site and by googling.

They would, of course, work really well in an oriental stir fry or a Thai-flavoured dish (coconut milk or low-carb peanut sauce).

Hi Mama Lu

Did you know that you can put the shirataki noodles in a blender of food processor and they will chop up into smaller, even rice sized pieces?

I also dry them out in a non-stick frying pan, no oil or anything, I just keep tossing them around until the moisture is almost gone and I can't hear the hissing sound of steam escaping.

I use them with alfredo sauce, or stir fry or just about anything.

I don't use the tofu ones though, only the pure glucommanan flour ones.

I also make a very yummy pudding out of the glucomannan flour every night using almond breeze unsweetened chocolate milk, cocoa powder, sweetener and glucommannan flour, it's so good and only one carb from the almond breeze

You can buy the flour (which is what the noodles are made of) from this place
http://www.konjacfoods.com/product/1.htm

They don't ship noodles to Canada unfortunately but they do ship the flour and it lasts a long time.

I am still working on making my own noodles but so far no success
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 22:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

My In-Laws (bless 'em) live in the Lawrence neighbourhood, walking distance to the Yonge & Lawrence TTC stop, conveniently right across the street from the LowCarb Grocery!

Last time I visited them, I had a good rummage through the store and came out with way more stuff than I probably needed (what with luggage on WestJet and all ) but I had a very good time. Nice people, too.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 21:38

Stats: 247/247/160 Male 67"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Low Carb Grocery

They are good to deal with! I have purchased from them frequently, including the Da Vinci syrups. I have even driven in to the store to get the Cheesecake (incredible!) The noodles, Shirataki are good, as long as you accept that they are as good as the sauce they use, (white are better than grey for texture).

Justine Yau (owner) and staff are nice people to deal with.

Enjoy

David
(I'm a customer, with no financial interest in business, so don't start!)
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 21:49

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 365/301/140 Female 5"9'
BF:
Progress: 28%

I didn't realize they were an actual store
I will check it out shortly
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-08, 22:52
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I've ordered from them twice and been to the store once or twice, they are great!