Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-12, 07:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/251/235 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg
Yes, Bernstein recommends that tight of a control, I get that, but I don't think you can be going for control that tight until after you have lost all the weight, and have adjusted to a permanent maintenance way of eating.

Although there is the matter of managing expectations, I think that by monitoring and managing as Dr Bernstein suggests, it's possible to keep moving in the right direction. To me, the big payoff is the possibility of avoiding the worst complications of the disease, and feeling "well" on a daily basis. I think that the term "silent killer" is an apt description of diabetes. It's unfortunate that it can be managed pretty effectively, but many just ignore the treatment.

I have a number of friends and relatives who are very casual about their monitoring and treatment, and the difference between their overall health and mine is an eye-opener. Without preaching, I try to inform and influence them in the hopes that they will try to improve their diet and monitoring. Maybe someday there will be a cure, but until then, management is all we have.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 15:53
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Sounds like you are really doing well. I tend to agree with ICdoggs comments.
I'm a type II, and every diabetic is different, but just wanted to mention that I lost well when only on Lantus, and gained quite rapidly when only using Humalog. My point being, I don't think it will matter much, as long as you stay vlc.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 23:17

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsfl
Although there is the matter of managing expectations, I think that by monitoring and managing as Dr Bernstein suggests, it's possible to keep moving in the right direction. To me, the big payoff is the possibility of avoiding the worst complications of the disease, and feeling "well" on a daily basis. I think that the term "silent killer" is an apt description of diabetes. It's unfortunate that it can be managed pretty effectively, but many just ignore the treatment.

I have a number of friends and relatives who are very casual about their monitoring and treatment, and the difference between their overall health and mine is an eye-opener. Without preaching, I try to inform and influence them in the hopes that they will try to improve their diet and monitoring. Maybe someday there will be a cure, but until then, management is all we have.

The problem being that with continued success you will need less and less insulin. And the way you will discover that, if you're trying to control things so tightly, is to get a low bg. And going low is far more dangerous than having a slightly higher baseline while you are in the process of weight loss and long term bg reduction via diet. And I don't know about you but low bg makes me feel like crap for hours afterwards, even when it is back up to where it should be.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 07:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/251/235 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg
The problem being that with continued success you will need less and less insulin. And the way you will discover that, if you're trying to control things so tightly, is to get a low bg. And going low is far more dangerous than having a slightly higher baseline while you are in the process of weight loss and long term bg reduction via diet. And I don't know about you but low bg makes me feel like crap for hours afterwards, even when it is back up to where it should be.

Less insulin is a good problem to have! What I've been finding is that I haven't had a hypo since starting LCHF. I think the lower carb intake, and lower insulin doses have really helped. I monitor bg several times a day, and plot the data over at dbees.com . By the graph, I can see how much tighter my control has become, and also see when I start trending down. I back off the Lantus when I start getting fasting bg around 85. I do a 5 unit reduction, stay there for a week, and re-evalute. Most meals require 0-2u Humalog to stay at my target of 90.

I agree that the really tight control Dr Bernstein recommends at a bg of 83 is better left until I've lost more tonnage!

Last edited by marcsfl : Fri, Feb-10-12 at 11:00.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 09:56

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Outstanding!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 09:04

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I find that I actually need *more* basal on an lc diet. The protein factor is something to really track- all food eventually translates into glucose, and my basal often needs to be raised in order to account for that.