Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 19:30

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%
Default Post 15 - Benefits of Fermented Foods

http://www.healthiertalk.com/fermen...l-diabetes-2457

I never really gave this a lot of thought the first year or two I was eating fermented foods, but I came to realized there might be something to it...

Fermented foods can be any of the following, not that this is a complete list:

Sauerkraut
Kimchi
Umeboshi plums
Yogurt
Kefir
Buttermilk

Simply cut up fresh vegetables (the ones you would normally enjoy eating raw, add salt and add water, keep in a container and refrigerate.... After a few days, you have fermented vegetables...

We don't ever sit around and eat just fermented vegetables. We mix them into our mixed vegetable dishes, or in some meat dishes.... You might say we sort of slide them into our diet in the least noticeable manner....

I believe this has been a staple, eaten on average ever other day one or two times. We don't eat a whole lot of the fermented vegetables at one time, but we do eat a lot of yogurt, escpecially the Greek Yogurt.

If you're not eating fermented foods now, I suggest adding it in for a while and watch and see what happens to you..... Good luck!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-11, 08:25

Plan: Dr. Richard Bernstein
Stats: 90/89/85 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

You may want to add Carrot and Betroot "Kanji" to your list of fermented foods - take a look at the following video on you tube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8efMDQy7sc
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-11, 11:33

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

I believe preserved lemons are also fermented. I started making them several years ago, after they have fermented a several weeks we store then in the freezer.

Do you know if there are any studies regarding just what chemical reaction goes on when vegetables are only a few day fermented rather than weeks?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-11, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasskalsi
You may want to add Carrot and Betroot "Kanji" to your list of fermented foods - take a look at the following video on you tube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8efMDQy7sc

included when I mentioned "cut up fresh vegetables, the ones you would normally like"....

Rob, sometimes my wife throws in the lemons with the vegetables, not sure what would take place with a longer fermentation period, but I think 5 days is plenty and doubt a longer period would deliver more benefits. Not sure at what point fermented foods spoil, but I'm sure it does..... We just start eating after 5 days and usually a batch is still good when we finish it up about 4 to 6 weeks later.....

Also, not part of fermenting, but we save all kinds of citrus peels to put into drinks and soups....
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-11, 03:40

Plan: Dr. Richard Bernstein
Stats: 90/89/85 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Kindly post your method for fermenting the vegetables and the lemons - Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-11, 14:32

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

For them to actually ferment, you need to leave them unrefrigerated. Mine still take a few days in warm weather but longer in winter.

Googling will get you some good information.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 16:27
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

I buy unpastuerized goat milk kefir and eat a half cup every other day. Dairy of just about all kinds produces a lot of mucous in my body but not all the time. I can tolerate small amounts of it off and on. But I'd really like to ferment vegetables. Probably not as tasty but healthier for me.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-11, 09:04

Becky,

Merry Christmas, for starters, but when you eat fermented vegetables, just throw them into a soup, or add them in a meat or vegetable dish, or even a salad. Don't put so much that the taste is overwhelming. I've come to realize the benefit of fermented foods, but it is more palatable to eat them in smaller amounts frequently. Almost each day, we add it into a dish, but I hardly even notice it anymore...
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-11, 13:18

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

They will ferment under refrigeration? Hm...'cuz yogurt has to be a little above room temp iirc.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-11, 19:24
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Becky,

Merry Christmas, for starters, but when you eat fermented vegetables, just throw them into a soup, or add them in a meat or vegetable dish, or even a salad. Don't put so much that the taste is overwhelming. I've come to realize the benefit of fermented foods, but it is more palatable to eat them in smaller amounts frequently. Almost each day, we add it into a dish, but I hardly even notice it anymore...

Thanks for this suggestion. Great idea!