Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default non-aspartame sweetened flavoured gelatin

Just curious as to how many of you (Canadians especially but not exclusively ) are making your own "Jello" gelatin desserts?

Want to know if it's worth importing the stuff... without having some big company "come up behind me" and run me over with their own brand right here in Canada (like happened to the Heinz 1-Carb Ketchup). Sheesh.

Thanks for the info, guys!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 16:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Where are you going to import it from? If it's a US brand, please tell! I recently wrote to Kraft Foods asking about non-aspartame Jell-O and puddings, but they just said they were "considering" using it in some of their products.

- -

on edit: I just read the thread in "Products" and it seems like you're making your own...in which case I hope you export it down to here!

Last edited by binki : Fri, Mar-24-06 at 16:48.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 09:33

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Jude, I've been using Hunts brand snack tubs sweetened with Splenda but they only offer two flavours - were you planning on bringing in something similar to Hunts, or dry mix? We don't use them often enough to bother making my own - they just make a handy dessert when we're packing a lunch or for snacking when we're travelling.

Quote:
Want to know if it's worth importing the stuff... without having some big company "come up behind me" and run me over with their own brand right here in Canada (like happened to the Heinz 1-Carb Ketchup). Sheesh.

I haven't seen low carb ketchup offered at Thrifty's - is it widely available in Victoria? Do I have to add Fairway to my shopping trips?

We're off for 3 weeks "on the road" selling at antique shows but when I get back, I'll be checking in on your products - if you've still got the Heinz 1-carb left then, I'll probably clean you out, along with a few other products I'm starting to run low on.

Glenda

PS - a general question I've been meaning to ask you - is there a difference between the thick'n thin not starch, not sugar, and not cereal? When I look at the ingredient list they all use the same vegetable gums in the same order??!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 10:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Do you mean creating our own concoctions with gelatin and flavorings? I've done that a bit. I've used ginger and other things... Bengal spice tea, and made some interesting gelatins.

I suspect it'd be entirely possible to make lots of kinds with some fruit juice or extracts and a bit of splenda and gelatin.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 19:53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
Where are you going to import it from? If it's a US brand, please tell! I recently wrote to Kraft Foods asking about non-aspartame Jell-O and puddings, but they just said they were "considering" using it in some of their products.

- -

on edit: I just read the thread in "Products" and it seems like you're making your own...in which case I hope you export it down to here!

I was thinking of getting it from Belinda Schweinhart, she's had it professional formulated and is selling it in the US. We've been communing via email

Would you like the link?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 20:06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
Jude, I've been using Hunts brand snack tubs sweetened with Splenda but they only offer two flavours - were you planning on bringing in something similar to Hunts, or dry mix? We don't use them often enough to bother making my own - they just make a handy dessert when we're packing a lunch or for snacking when we're travelling.

I haven't seen low carb ketchup offered at Thrifty's - is it widely available in Victoria? Do I have to add Fairway to my shopping trips?

We're off for 3 weeks "on the road" selling at antique shows but when I get back, I'll be checking in on your products - if you've still got the Heinz 1-carb left then, I'll probably clean you out, along with a few other products I'm starting to run low on.

PS - a general question I've been meaning to ask you - is there a difference between the thick'n thin not starch, not sugar, and not cereal? When I look at the ingredient list they all use the same vegetable gums in the same order??!!!

Hey, Glenda! Ok, I'll try to tackle in order :
  • Dry Mix - Splenda-sweetened, it comes in Cherry, Orange and Lemon.
  • Nah, unless you want a great selection of Asian vegetables you needn't go to Fairway -- however, you may need to truck on out to the Real Canadian Superstore, since their recent launch of the President's Choice Blue Label ("healthy" choices, mostly low fat and high fiber BUT...) line, they've had a sugarfree ketchup that tastes precisely like the Heinz! It's yummy, and I'd better go get some before there's a rush . Good price, too (and there's a Superstore in Nanaimo in that big mall, if your roadtrip is on the Island). If you still want the Heinz, I've only got two left, but I'm frankly thinking of taking them right off the webpage (don't worry, I'll use them myself and write them off, I guess).
  • The ThickenThin products are actually a bit different in the proportions of the gums (and there's pasteurized egg white in the not/Cereal) and the grain size...this actually makes a difference in how they act in certain applications. I reserve the not/Sugar for those more delicate (and usually liquid) operations, where mouthfeel matters, such as lassis, shakes and, um, stirfry sauces, marinades, glazes, that sort of thing. The not/Starch I like for baking applications, mostly, and some of the more heavyduty thickening items, like, say, Chicken Pot Pie. The not/Cereal I don't use as much, but like to use it as an extender, e.g., to make some oatmeal or ground oats go a very much longer way. Hope that helps?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 20:09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Do you mean creating our own concoctions with gelatin and flavorings? I've done that a bit. I've used ginger and other things... Bengal spice tea, and made some interesting gelatins.

I suspect it'd be entirely possible to make lots of kinds with some fruit juice or extracts and a bit of splenda and gelatin.

Yes and no, I was referring more to the kind of substitution (not quite so lovely and creative as green tea gelatin and such) many folks make for the SugarFree Jell-O (or Light Jell-O here in Canada) just cuz we LIKE Jello or remember it from our childhood or want to make the Cream Cheese Jello Parfait...you know, like the Knox and the strawberry Kool-Aid...
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 16:17

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Jude, thanks for the explanation on the ThickenThin Not's - I'm glad that my suspicion that it was just a marketing ploy by Atkins Nutritionals was not correct!

I WISH our road trip was going to be on the Island - every Spring, when Victoria is at its most beautiful, we end up heading to Alberta and, usually, snow or at least wintry, dull weather. Oh well ... gotta make a living!

To answer your original question, I've had 3 packages of sugar-free Jello in my cupboard for about 3 years so, no I for one probably wouldn't be your best customer for that!
Glenda
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 14:56

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

what is the LC option in Canada for ketchup? I've bought the Heinz one from Wegmans in Niagara Falls NY when i go once a year or so.... is there another option in Canada?

Also, i would be interested in a non-aspartame gelatin and non-aspartame pudding mix if they are made....
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 02:55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
what is the LC option in Canada for ketchup? I've bought the Heinz one from Wegmans in Niagara Falls NY when i go once a year or so.... is there another option in Canada?

Also, i would be interested in a non-aspartame gelatin and non-aspartame pudding mix if they are made....

Heya, Deb! As I posted in response to Glenda below:
  • ...the Real Canadian Superstore, since their recent launch of the President's Choice Blue Label ("healthy" choices, mostly low fat and high fiber BUT...) line, they've had a sugarfree ketchup that tastes precisely like the Heinz! It's yummy, and I'd better go get some before there's a rush [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Good price, too...
and truly, I'm interested in importing Belinda Schweinhart's s.f. gelatin product as below in that post to Glenda, too (no pudding mix yet, just "jell-o"):
  • Dry Mix - Splenda-sweetened, it comes in Cherry, Orange and Lemon.
Have you found any dried egg whites/albumen yet?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 07:38

I have one more health food store in my general area to check and see if they carry the egg white powder. I'll try to check on the weekend. If they don't have it, i'll gladly get some from you Jude if you can get it easily.... stay tuned ok?

thanks so much for the offer BTW
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 12:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/239.5/160 Female 68 inches
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 45%

I used to go to the 'Atkins University" website.. where there is a 'forum'.. there one of the 'teachers' name is Don Friedman (or something close to that).. and he will share his SF non aspartame Jello receipe.. I will try and bounce on there later today or tomorrow.. it is basically geletin, kool-aid, and splenda.. if I remember correctly??? but I know you will need the exact amounts.. etc..

with the kool-aid.. you can make some pretty kool flavours.. (watermelon, cotton candy, not to mention some of Kool-aids 'really' weird flavours)

dianna9234
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 03:19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianna9234
I used to go to the 'Atkins University" website.. where there is a 'forum'.. there one of the 'teachers' name is Don Friedman (or something close to that).. and he will share his SF non aspartame Jello receipe.. I will try and bounce on there later today or tomorrow.. it is basically geletin, kool-aid, and splenda.. if I remember correctly??? but I know you will need the exact amounts.. etc..

Yah, I know how to make sugafree non-aspartame jell-o already, thanks, though!

My question was more about how many Canadians DO make splenda "jell-o" for themselves, and for various recipes, and more to the point, would they want to buy packages instead?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 08:13

one thing i find about cooking LC is that every almost every ingredient in baking has to almost be created itself (like bakemixes, SF jellos) so my opinion would be that getting pre-made packages would save me a lot of time and effort and i would be more inclined to make LC meals without the temptation to cheat with something HC and easy....that's not to say that i dislike cooking, in fact i love cooking. But some things are convenience foods for that very reason, they're convenient...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 02:39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
one thing i find about cooking LC is that every almost every ingredient in baking has to almost be created itself (like bakemixes, SF jellos) so my opinion would be that getting pre-made packages would save me a lot of time and effort and i would be more inclined to make LC meals without the temptation to cheat with something HC and easy....that's not to say that i dislike cooking, in fact i love cooking. But some things are convenience foods for that very reason, they're convenient...

I take it that's a yes?