Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 13:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 359/266/174 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default weight gain :(

Well, I quite smoking a week ago and have gained 10lbs so far. I'm very frustrated. I know I don't want to start smoking again...the kids would be awfully disappointed and I really like not smelling like smoke all the time.

Just venting...thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 00:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/165/130 Female 67 in.
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Don't despair It'll all work out in the end

I quit smokeing for a little over 3 years now. The cravings and side effects don't last forever.

Last week I was watching TV and a commercial came on about smokeing and I turned to my mom and said,
"Wow I would never want to be a smoker. Quitting must be so hard."
My mom who quit 3 1/2 years ago agreed fully.
Then I had ti SLAP myself upside the head when I remembered I WAS A SMOKER! Quitting WAS hard! But it doesn't last forever.

I read a study that said that your metabolisim slows down when you quit then speeds up faster than while you were smokeing later! that could equal more weight loss!

BUT, you have to be quitting for you. It won't stick if you quit for anyone else. Before I quit I thouroughly thought it out before I quit. I had no specific day planned. I think I was just ready. I went out for a cig one night, realized my pack was empty and my first thought was, "Oh well might as well quit now. Why torture myself?" No cutting back etc.. I just did it.
And it wasn't hard. I had the typical physical withdrawl symptoms but not the mental. I wasn't grouchy or irritated. I was 4 days without before my family realized I had qit, they only noticed I didn't go out for my afterdinner cig!

So decide if YOU"RE ready. Don't worry about the weight as long as you're eating well. It will come off. When you quit your body can retain water, so drink plenty of water to help it remember you're not depriveing it!

AND the most important thing. Treat you nice, treat yourself, pamper yourself
be good to you! you deserve it! you go girl! Shop, Take a long relaxing bath,
get your hair done etc... When you crave pamper yourself! Fix your nails, schedual a hair appt. whatever makes you feel spoiled. You can afford it now!

And If you do get crabby remember you're family will benifit far more from a Mom who's crabby for a few days and smoke free. then from a crabby smoker who can't quit that jusT ran out of cigs, and is desparately looking for one.
QUIT TORTUREING YOURSELF!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 06:36
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Elisa, I feel your frustration. I re-gained all I had lost but the important thing is I hav'nt givin up. We quit smoking for our health and we want to lose weight for the same reason. If ya just need to vent or chat Im around .

Ahrmyers, could'nt have said it better myself.

Angel
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 13:27

Stats: 359/266/174 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thank you both so much for your replies! I'm feeling a little better today. I noticed yesterday (day 8) that I really didn't have the craving to smoke hardly at all. Today has gone well so far.

As far as the weight, it does seem like it might be mostly water weight because sure enough, it's coming off.

Thanks again for the support
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 13:32

Stats: 280/196.5/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 70%

Good job on eight days of being smoke free. It does get easier. I found my salvation to be chewing on straws. It help the need to have a oral fixation. Keep up the good work.

Kristine
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 12:06
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I was all into the cinnamon toothpicks my son made the first couple weeks I quit,lol. Shoulda stuck with them and not turned to pepperoni and cheese, lol. Boy did I over do it.

Angel
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 12:46

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 499.0/166.0/199.0 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

20 days so far for me. Been walking around with a stalk of celery hanging out of my mouth
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 13:43

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Day 4 for me here...

I have gained a total of 6 pounds so far. I blame it on the chocolate consumption.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 14:20

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

Day 11 for me...my weight has been all over the place...up by as much as 7lbs. It seems to have stablized at about 4lbs more than before the quit. I do SB and went back to Phase II for my quit. I've also upped my exercise...I don't want to smoke AND I don't want to regain the weight.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 08:13

Stats: 245/160/135 Female 5'5''
BF:?
Progress: 77%

I quit the begining of December--gained at least 10 lbs--but that was okay because I knew that I was going to start my diet in January. I just thank God that I finally quit---they were 7.50 a pack here--I could even enjoy going out to dinner anymore--no smoking in ALL establishments! and I am really proud of myself--for the first time ever! I still have cravings and now that I can't have a candy bar to get me thru I either come to this website, think about the shrimp scampi that I will cook for dinner or just chew a piece of gum!
Best of luck to you all--it is super hard to quit-but you ROCK keep up the good work!