Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, May-15-15, 08:28

Plan: ?
Stats: 245/237/200 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 18%

I did my "official" Friday morning weigh this morning and I am one more pound down. This is so disheartening. Someone on one of the other forum pages mentioned that I am 13 years older than when I did full-on Atkins and my body is different. It is so frustrating. Even though I am not doing Atkins, this no flour, sugar, rice, potato thing is a lot of deprivation for a tiny bit of success (one pound per week, at most). I have had some weeks where I haven't lost at all. I weigh 237 lbs and it would be my goal just to get to 200. I won't complain there. I don't care what the charts say - at 200, I will be happy
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sat, May-16-15, 06:01

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Maxime, please don't get disheartened. Weight that comes off slowly seems to stay off longer. At least that's what "they" say. And don't look at this WOE as deprivation. Think of this as a lifestyle change. It seems that people who lose on a low carb diet can never go back to eating carbs again or they will regain easily. But in time, your body gets used to not having these starchy processed foods and you lose your cravings for it. When you eat whole fresh nutritious foods your body gets very happy!

You can do this. One pound down is one pound in the right directions. Just think, if you continue one pound a week until Christmas you will be down 28 lbs!

I was at the cardiolgist yesterday and he told me not to try to lose 40 lbs, aim for 5 lbs. Then when you reach that goal, try for another 5 lbs.
  #108   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-15, 14:22

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

This was great to read and find. I hope we can bring this back to like. I have been doing this low carb thing for about two full weeks and I have lost the craving for cookies, cakes, chips, sugar, soda and juice (which I have not had for years). I have to build this around my situation since I had a Heart transplant and take a small amount of meds to stay alive. I am down 4 pounds and I will stick to it. I tend to stick to things I do for a very long time.
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-15, 20:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Maxime, if you think of this only as a way to lose weight, you'll never achieve what you want, which is not to lose weight. If you are like the rest of us, you want to lose weight and keep it off, right?

Then you have to find a way to enjoy what you are doing. I have had grains twice in the past two years, and I don't miss them. Because once you get away from them, their pull on you starts to fade. Grains trigger a response in your opioid receptors, which means that you literally become addicted to them. But just like cigarettes, the addiction can be put at bay, but not broken. There are people on this site who have been low carb and grain free for well over a decade.

No one is here to judge anyone. We all are on this site because we had an unhealthy relationship with food. But if you find low carb a chore, and feel deprived, you won't stick with it, and you won't succeed. It's just the sad facts.
  #110   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 01:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Why don't you sit down and write down all the things you enjoy eating that fit this semi low carb! Honestly you will run out of ink before you run out of variety. Then have a look at our recipe board As MickiSue said we have to accept this is it, this is what we have to eat for life. Actually I am perfectly happy with my foods, lots of meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, dark chocolate, lots veg including potato and some fruit. I do weigh/measure everything it just takes a few seconds and helps me with PORTION control I also count calories.
I am slowly losing, sometimes nothing for 3-4 weeks then a much appreciated little whoosh.
Hope something clicks with you and it becomes easier.
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 07:06

I don't think Maxime is posting anymore. So many people become discouraged and leave, and that's not the way to do it. I'm glad someone is still posting here because not all of us can do Atkins 72. We need to have this semi-low carb. We might lose more slowly, but a loss is a loss. We have to be able to stick to this long term. With diabetes, cutting out starchy carbs is a must. Like you, ESW, I have to measure and count calories. Even low carb foods can stall your weight loss if you eat too much.
  #112   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 07:36
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
I don't think Maxime is posting anymore. So many people become discouraged and leave, and that's not the way to do it. I'm glad someone is still posting here because not all of us can do Atkins 72. We need to have this semi-low carb. We might lose more slowly, but a loss is a loss. We have to be able to stick to this long term. With diabetes, cutting out starchy carbs is a must. Like you, ESW, I have to measure and count calories. Even low carb foods can stall your weight loss if you eat too much.

I think that you're right, Maxime is no longer posting or here. Too bad.

I'm one of the semi low carb people and lost my weight eating up to about 100 grams a day on average. For me and my body, going too low made me feel ill. vLCHF is not for everybody especially if you are not insulin resistant. I did eliminate certain types of carbs like highly processed flours and sugar. I've learned how to control my carb intake and that is enough for me to keep my weight off for 10 years now. I no longer eat pastas or pizza...two of my old favs are gone for years now.
Atkins does have phases and they do include the OWL phase of adding good carbs back in.
  #113   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 07:53

Plan: Keto less than 30/day
Stats: 245/216/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 31%

I know the feeling of being disheartened, and it really is too bad they won't be posting anymore. But I see things the way many of you do as well, it's a lifestyle change, that while may not produce the results as "quickly" as you like, in the long run you will be healthier and the weight will come off! I've never felt better eating this way, and to be completely honest, yes, there are times when I wish I'd drop more than one or two pounds a week ( even though this is completely normal ). I also strength train and exercise regularly, so I know pounds don't reflect inches, which is also something extremely important to keep in mind.

My weight loss is sporadic, there are times I hit 3 lbs lost in a week, and at one point I dropped 5 lbs. I'm really still getting the hang of this way of life, even though I've been at it for three months now and have lost about 35 lbs. It's an amazing feeling, and pretty crazy once you get past the notion that fat is GOOD for you!
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 08:51

BF:

Ooooh lets try and keep semi low carb going!

i really admire those that can adhere stringently to their low carb plan.

For me it's setting myself up for failure. I need leeway, room to manoeuvre!
But the most over riding reason for going between 40 and 100 carbs daily is my well being physically. i really struggled on lower with serious cramps and loss of sleep. i have recently increased my daytime carbs. Previously tried to save carbs until evening to sleep better. Have been out of sorts with tiredness and arrhythmia. Now spreading them a bit more evenly, still most at night and guess what, not exhausted, no arrhythmia! Of course the down side is I am having to be careful I don't then start having those low blood sugar issues that were caused by eating carbs! It's such a balancing act! Will need to experiment more with the day time carbs as unfortunately that is what has happened.

It's very heartening to see their are others with similar issues. It is a shame when someone no longer posts as we can help each other so much

Last edited by esw : Fri, Aug-28-15 at 10:16.
  #115   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 10:46

BF:

ESW, we really need to keep this Semi-low carb thread going. I am doing it for the fact that a drastic hard core weight drop could be bad for me but better for other.

You really have to tailor the plan to yourself. Everybody is different just as every car runs different. I am snacking on cucumbers and bell peppers as I type. I am so excited because it used to be muffins and chips.

I do agree with you that you do feel better even after a short time of eating like this. Along with tons of water, and green tea I am feeling great. I had a friend ask me how to do the low carb. I told them to stop eating and drinking everything they love that has sugar, that might be fried, fast food, and read labels. I do not think they will.

Also weighing everyday helps me out to see if I am eating the right things. You’re also right on the slow weight loss. Its very easy to pile on the pounds, but very hard to get them go. Let keep this going people.
  #116   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 21:23

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Happy to see this thread active...

I can't go really low carb, or my sleep issues get really bad. So I stay about 50-60g a day (I don't really track it anymore, just carbs at one meal, others low-carb). I also incorporate some intermittent fasting, and my "bacon fast"--3 slices of bacon for breakfast.

I guess I'm not highly motivated to go much lower than I am right now, kind of parked at 136-137. I think I'd like to get down to 132, and see if my stomach firms up and I lose jowls completely. But primarily this is a health thing right now, trying to get my diet as healthy as possible, and my sleep to a nice steady state. I'm just not in any hurry to get my weight down.

But I did find a pair of jeans that I wore when I was dating--they are tiny!! Can't recall what I weighed, but I'd like to fit into those again.
  #117   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-15, 07:52

It's really not about weight loss for me, it's about eating for health. I haven't lost much weight in a very long time, in fact I'm actually up a few, but I have heart disease as well as diabetes, and my lab work has been really excellent in the past year and my doctor's are very pleased! I wish weight loss would come with it, but it's really hard for me to get the weight to come off and stay off. I do low carb through the day and carbs mostly come in to play at dinner when I eat with DH. Right now I am working on cutting out night time eating.

I love hummus and I make my own so I can control the ingredients. I used to eat it with fiber crackers or tortillia chips, but now have switched to eating it with celery sticks and cucumber slices.
  #118   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-15, 10:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
It's really not about weight loss for me, it's about eating for health. I haven't lost much weight in a very long time, in fact I'm actually up a few, but I have heart disease as well as diabetes, and my lab work has been really excellent in the past year and my doctor's are very pleased! I wish weight loss would come with it, but it's really hard for me to get the weight to come off and stay off. I do low carb through the day and carbs mostly come in to play at dinner when I eat with DH. Right now I am working on cutting out night time eating.

I love hummus and I make my own so I can control the ingredients. I used to eat it with fiber crackers or tortillia chips, but now have switched to eating it with celery sticks and cucumber slices.

Coming from a person that has been through the whole heart disease thing, I know what you mean. For me it about losing weight but I am not going to kill myself to do It. I am very strict on what I eat. After reading tons of data and other threads and what people are doing, I am custom making my own plan. I have lost 6 pounds in the past 2 weeks and seem to be working. So I am going to keep it up. I also get in about 30 mins of walking at a brisk pace and stay active.

Its great to see you giving up the chips and crackers. I have given up, all sugar (besides what small amount is in some foods), Junk food, and much more. That alone will help me lose weight. Also water is your friend till the end. Keep up the great work.
  #119   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-15, 20:02

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Okay, what happened to everyone? Does anyone else measure their blood sugar? I just started checking my 2 hour post-prandial (meal) levels, to make sure BG is dropping quickly like it should. My first one was this morning at 11 AM, after my usual 3 slices bacon. Came in at 95 which is pretty good, I think, but that's a pretty low-carb "meal". First reading was 64, but I knew that wasn't right--I never have readings that low!

Breakfast and lunch were very light. Tonight I pigged out on bratwurst and pork tenderloin and salad. hey, as long as the grill is fired up....
  #120   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-15, 01:24

BF:

Still plodding away !

Don't test blood sugar, do sometimes consider getting a meter though. Being in the UK I think we use different reading from you. From what I understand we want to stay within four and seven, happy to be corrected on that of I've got it wrong.
Custom plan here as well. Try to keep between 50-100 carbs. Did do lower but just couldn't get the right balance and felt ill. Much better on this as long as I count my calories. Definetly hungrier with more carbs, but I will just have to accept that. I would rather deal with hunger than feeling ill.
Love being able to sleep at night. Think I might increase my Magnesium Citrate from one to one and a half.
I do love my fattier meats as well. We are like Jack Spratt in this household!!