Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/143/125
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Which book?

It seems there are several different types of CAD books out there by the Hellers. Which one should I get?

Chele
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 20:04
Pending Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 314/306.6/299
BF:
Progress: 49%

The Carb-Addict Healthy Heart program is the most recent book, but the program is slightly different in that is puts an emphasis on reducing fats, whereas CAD/CALP do not. I find CALP (Carb-addicts Lifespan Program) to be quite good - the food lists are revised since the original and they add a lot of good "options" which you can use to tweak your personal plan. I guess I would advise to get one of these 2 newer books rather than the original CAD. It is becoming too outdated.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 08:41
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks Squeezle!

I appreciate your quick reply to my post. I had gotten on online to a book clearinghouse, and they had several of the CAD books and I had no idea which one I should get! I am contemplating integrating CAD into my Adkins WOL and see if that doesn't better suit me.
Thanks for your help!
Chele
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 15:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Hi Chele!

I have been on the Atkins for about 3 weeks.........not cheaing at all...........and have only lost about 8 pounds. I think I am losing some inches.............but WHY DOESN'T THE SCALES REFLECT THAT TOO?????
I am getting a little tired of the meat thing! If you know what I mean?
I went to the library to get the CALP, but it was out. So, I am next. If this WOE would work, that seems the best idea yet? I know it sounds a little too good to be true, however, I see others on this CAD/CALP losing on it. So, there must be some truth to it working?
Chele, how long have you been on Atkins? ARe you getting tired of it too?
Any feed back will be appreciated!
JO Ann in TEXAS
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:30
Registered Member

BF:
Post Thanks JoAnn!

I appreciate you chiming in! I have unofficially been on Atkins since November 2001. I have lost 10 lbs and feel pretty good, but my main reason for starting some form of Atkins was for fertility issues. I didn't want to lose a bunch of weight, but if that came along with the change in WOE, that would be good! I just wanted to increase my health and fertility and really haven't stuck to Atkins entirely. With me, it's much better to occasionally have a piece of bread or mashed potatoes, or whatever. I can't just totally cut something out of my diet. If I never had it, one day I would most certainly crack and go off the deep end. That's just the way I look at it. I choose Atkins because the fertility book I was researching with talked about it and discussed how it could improve my health, so I decided that's what I would do. I also have PCOS along with insulin resistance, so this couldn't be just a dramatic change for a little while. It needed to be something I could stick with for life. While I was on induction, I realized how hard it would be for me to follow strictly. I LOVE sweets, potatoes, bread, etc and just couldn't make the decision to never eat those things again. I also travel alot, and it didn't seem like a realistic choice for me. I haven't had potatoes in awhile, but if I decide to make some beef stew and add some potatoes, I don't think that will make that big a difference, unless I picked out all the meat and vegetables and just ate the potatoes!!
The more I have looked into the different WOE's, I thought maybe I could incorporate CAD into how I have chosen to eat. My philosophy has been to decrease carbohydrates/sugars. I do occasionally eat those "forbidden" foods, but now realize that my overall health its what matters! I have never really been a meat person. It's not that I don't ever it it, I just love veggies and other things,too. It has been a bit of a struggle, especially to explain everything to people that ask why I'm tryign to decrease carbs. You get the sterotypical person who doesn't know anything about Atkins other than it makes your kidneys shut down or something like that! I feel it is also important to incorporate some type of exercise into your WOL. I'm a nurse at a busy hospital so on days I work, going to work is my exercise. I am on my feet all the 12 hrs of my shift and constantly speed walking to get everything done. If you don't like walking, just try cleaning house more, add ankle weights, squats, get a bike riding machine, try swimming and go for it. Any little bit helps. You didn't say whether or not you exercise, but if you don't try adding that. Very low impact is great, even just a aerobic video at home. I like those because then I know that no one is looking at me!
Do what feels good to you. You'll glow on the inside and that will reflect on the outside, too!
I got a little carried away, but hope that any or all of this info helps!

Chele
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:47
Pending Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 314/306.6/299
BF:
Progress: 49%

Chele,

I think you would find CAD/CALP to be quite liveable after what you said regarding your eating style. I was an At-kid for 6 months and while I stuck to it religiously, I knew from the first few weeks, this wasn't something I could do long term. I have PCOS/IR too and I needed something I knew I could adapt to as a WOL till I die - CALP fits that criteria for me.

So, best of luck w/ your decision! It's a great plan, and while it may work slower than Atkins for a lot of people, it's not so much about weight loss as about a change in eating for permanent health results.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 17:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Thanks Chele and Lori!

I really appreciate any information I can get about this CALP way of living. I am still on Atkins, but I am reading everything I can get on the CALP. Haven't gotten the book yet, the library is going to call me as soon as it gets back in.

Thanks so much for ya'lls help!!!!!!!!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 17:10
Registered Member

BF:
Default AMEN squeezle!

Sounds to me like you have been in my brain!!! You wrote pretty much what I have been thinking. I think it should be all about health, not necessarily about weight loss. Many people's healthy weight is above the standards set by society. If I never again see someone who is size 6 or below, I will be just fine! But I also know that a size 6 maybe a healthy weight for that particular person. Anyhow, I will look into getting that book. There's a store in the mall that would probably sell it for much cheaper than say, Barnes & Noble. Thanks so much for your input!

Chele
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 17:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

The more you know the better a decision you can make! I, too, will at least get the book and read it, and then make an educated decision about what I want to do with my WOE!
Keep up the good work, ladies!

Chele