Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#481   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-11, 19:31

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Maybe the bags could be anchored. Leave some extra plastic beyond the seal, punch a couple holes in the excess plastic, tie anchors through the holes?
Sponsored Links
  #482   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-11, 16:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Had to post this... sounds good and will be useful for the LRD (leptin reset diet).

Heston Blumenthal’s Scrambled Eggs with Brown Butter
  #483   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-11, 10:51
Experimenter

BF:

I got a new controller. This one came from Fresh Meals Solutions. I think it is more accurate than the old one.

I also perfected my lemon curd sous vide. I put the mixture in little 1 cup ball jars and go for about 20 minutes at 155-160. I check on it and pull it before it totally sets.

I used to do it in ziplock bags but it always got a little too set up.

I'm making a batch of dulce de leche now for NY Eve's dessert.
  #484   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 19:59
Experimenter

BF:

Creme Fraiche in your sous vide.
  #485   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 22:34

BF:

Wow. That's a brilliant idea. I've made plenty of creme fraiche in the past but wouldn't have thought of the water bath because I associate that with cooking. It makes perfect sense, though.

The Hester Blumenthal eggs with browned butter look delectable too. Keep 'em coming!

I'm so glad I bought this appliance. I had cod (from frozen) tonight and it was fantastic, as always. I've never achieved good results from frozen fish using conventional means. I thaw the individually vacuum-packed fillet in room temp water, and then preheat the water bath to 62 Celcius and put the fish in for 15 minutes. I'm amazed every time how good it is.

Cooking sous vide is especially good for the very low fat thing I'm doing right now. I can't imagine how I'd get by on the hcg regime without sous vide.
  #486   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 23:19
Experimenter

BF:

It'd be perfect for yogurt too. There was something I read about heating milk to 185 degrees and letting it cool before making yogurt out of it. It puts more nubs onto the casein molecules and your yogurt will hang together better. A water bath is perfect for that!

Oh yeah, my chicken breast with SV was SO much better. I know what you mean about it being necessary for the hcg diet.

Tonight I made another batch of lemon egg custard in 1 cup ball jars. I FORGOT about it and when I remembered it I'm sure it was longer than 20 minutes. Maybe 30 or more. Anyway, I figured it would be lemon scrambled eggs. The texture was firmer, but it wasn't scrambled eggs at all. I was quite impressed actually.
  #487   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-12, 13:49
Experimenter

BF:

Sous Vide on a budget: http://svkitchen.com/?p=4553
  #488   ^
Old Mon, May-28-12, 08:08
Experimenter

BF:

Sous vide homemade mustard.

Wow! Would this make a great gift?
  #489   ^
Old Mon, May-28-12, 13:22

BF:

Cool. I've always been tempted to make mustard, even to the point of buying two books of mustard recipes, but I've never done it.
  #490   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 08:50
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I cooked a Cornish game hen by sous vide yesterday. It turned out really well. When I've tried to cook these in an oven, they've tended to be dry on the outside and undercooked inside. The sous vide cooked-hen turned out moist and evenly cooked. I used 155 F for 5 hours followed by a few minutes on each side under the oven broiler to brown the skin.
  #491   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 11:02
Experimenter

BF:

Wow! That's a great idea!
  #492   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 13:08
Experimenter

BF:

I just ordered something from an infomercial... Hopefully not entirely junk.

Anyway, it is a temperature controlled induction cooktop. It seems like it might be ideal for sous vide. Put a big pot on it, set the temperature and you should have an instant water bath.

Like all infomercial stuff you have to be very careful when ordering. The cooktop is $99 but s&h is 29.95. You can get a second one free (yeah, right), but the s&h is 39.95 for it. Then you have to go through screens and screens of crap they want you to add to the order and the settings are to automatically add them if you just hit the button. You have to switch the amount to zero. So... BE VERY CAREFUL!

I'll review it after I get it. Now... I just need to find a very large magnetic pot, I think my current ones are probably aluminum.

Induction cooktop with precise temperature control

Anyway, even at $130 (for one) it's a great price, providing it works well for sous vide. I spent about $150 for the temperature color and $50 for the rice maker. This will be nice because I'm not constrained by the rice maker.
  #493   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 10:51

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'd love to hear how it works out for you. It would be a less expensive way to do sous vide, as well as more versatile, assuming you have different size pots that would work.

I hear the induction cooktops are the lastest and greatest now, although I don't personally know anyone who has one. But it must be true, because when I bought a set of pots/pans at a show in Costco, they were designed to be used for induction as well as more traditional methods. The salesperson told me that all pots are now starting to be designed to work with induction.
  #494   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 13:19
Experimenter

BF:

I have to test my stockpot. I have a feeling it might be aluminum.

I was just thinking rather than buying a cooktop at all one could buy a couple of standalone induction burners and have some extra counterspace. Although, induction doesn't work well for wok cooking, but you could always buy an electric wok.
  #495   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 14:39

BF:

I think all the enamel stockpots work with induction burners because the enamel is baked on to steel.

If you have standalone burners you have no hood/vent/fan. Not a problem for sous vide, but a significant drawback for other types of cooking.

I gotta say, my Sous Vide Supreme sure is easy and clean and simple. Looks great on the counter. The vacuum sealer they sold me is terrible but the water oven is great.

Let us know how the induction burner works out. I want something like that for other purposes: keeping food warm on a buffet, fondue at the table, etc.