Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-13, 06:00

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 154.5/152/140 Female 5'6'
BF:
Progress:
Default Coconut Flour

Hi all,

I'm in the first phase of South Beach and I want to make Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes for breakfast. The recipe calls for coconut flour. Would this be considered a fruit or against the rules in Phase 1?

Thanks,
gloein
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-13, 06:57

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

First, don't confuse Paleo with South Beach. They are not interchangeable. Paleo is not even necessarily low carb (although many of us adapt it to be so). SB is definitely low carb.

Second, if coconuts were considered fruits, which is disputable, fruit is not allowed on SB phase 1. Even if coconut flour is derived from nuts, that's kind of beside the point because what it really is, is a substitute for regular flour. I followed SB all the way to goal and kept strictly to the allowed foods. Coconut flour and all other substitute flours were not included, especially in Phase 1. The beauty of this w.o.l. is discovering for the first time ever (for most of us) that it's possible to live without floury stuff - pies, cookies, etc. Continuing to bake them with substitute flours prevents your taste buds from learning how unnecessary they are. That said, after the initial re-training period, many people do add back VERY SLOWLY AND IN VERY SMALL QUANTITIES some floury carbs. It's definitely risky to do it (reawakening cravings) but some people manage it. Others unfortunately gain back every pound they lost and have to start all over again. Plenty of those stories can be found on this board. If you decide to, then coconut flour, almond flour, and flax meal are much better and less risky choices than any kind of wheat flour. Good luck on your journey!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-13, 14:57

Plan: LOOKING FOR A PLAN
Stats: 239/183/165 Female 5'9"
BF:Yes I have that
Progress: 76%

I don't know the recipe you are speacking of but I don't think coconut is allowed on south beach phase 1.

try this pancake recipe made with ricotta cheese

1/4 c Low fat Ricotta Cheese
1/4 c egg beaters
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp splenda

Directions
Mix in blender or with wisk. Pour in non stick pan and cook like a pancake. Nice if made thin.

Number of Servings: 1

This is not my recipe and I have never made it just trying to help