Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 22:08
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%
Default Are there any Vegetarian Low Carb Folk Besides Myself?

It's very quiet here on the Vegetarian Low Carb Forum.... I did low carb here on the forum for quite awhile a number of years ago. I ate meat back then and I did lose some weight, but then I stalled out and I couldn't get past the plateau I hit. I've tried many different WOEs since then and have lost and regained it back. My last foray was with John Mcdougall's diet and I went high carb and very low fat. I put on so much weight and became obsessed with food. Finally out of desperation I have come back to low carb, but as a vegetarian. This oddly enough seems to be working very well and I am very pleased with my progress. I just get to feeling a bit lonely though. There do not seem to be any other vegetarians out here with me. So I am putting this message in a bottle and sending it a float. Hopefully someone will read this and answer back.
Helloooooooo!
Signey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 22:59

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

You are not alone. I've considered this path as well but not pursued it. It is something I'll continue to investigate. Perhaps once my body stabilizes I can figure out how to fuel my body that does less harm to other sentient beings. The act of eating will always cause harm to other living beings but that is kind of the way it goes. We all have to find the level of harm that we commit against others to sustain ourselves. This a problem to be solved by each of us.

Good luck and share any tips or ways you are eating, I'm interested

You will do well.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 06:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

We have a pescatarian (fish eater) who is also a personal trainer. If you mention your vegetarianism in posts elsewhere you might find more folks. Or you could put it in your sig.

I've discussed digestion difficulties with vegetarians who had trouble with meat; if that is the case I am available.

It's a rare thing but there are folks who do it, so by all means let us know.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 09:49

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I think the pescatarian trainer Werebear mentioned is me

I started low carb when I was about 20, and went from being veg to pescatarian within that first year. Still I didn't eat much fish until about 25 when I started cooking for my ex and myself (previously ate fish when out, but never at home).
By 28, I started eating poultry again to see if some health issues improved- they did (immune system, gains in strength, even my nails and hair). But I still only eat poultry maybe 4-5 servings per week, with occasional / maybe monthly? bacon
I'm now 32.

So yes, I definitely think you can healthy on a low carb veg diet. For me, I chose to reduce the amount of meat I eat and to spend the $ on the "I had a happy sunshine filled life until a quick and painless end" chicken.

I would post in main general low carb section with something in your stats/signature that states you are veg. I found this forum to be very supportive to me as a pescatarian, and I got loads of helpful replies there. This area is pretty quiet, as you picked up already.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 10:40

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I'm interested in doing it. I had severe constipation leading to diverticulosis/diverticulitis for 10 years on LC. I just cannot make myself go back to that. I should make most of my meal vegetables, but it's difficult (all the prep + I'm sick of cooking)

I wonder if a thread for posting your (everyone's) LC vegetarian meals would get much traffic?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 12:06

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 203.3/181.7/180 Female 5'7"
BF:GF :)
Progress: 93%

Hey! I am a vegetarian low carber. I just started today, but I have done it before too and it's always been the best WOE for me. My biggest downfall seemed to be how excruciatingly boring the foods can get, because I am super lazy when it comes to cooking! This time around there are great meat substitutes available which have zero carbs and actually taste delicious, so I hope it will help me stay on track. Also, I don't feel so left out anymore in places like this when I actually have "meat" too.

How long have you been back at it now?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

i found a couple of indian food recipes done VLC..

here's one: Keto Indian food #1 and
Keto friendly Indian food #2
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 00:27

Plan: Atkins, LCHF
Stats: 275/138/165 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 125%

My wife and daughter are practicing vegetarians. My wife also wants to eat low carb, but it's difficult to find things for her. Her first rule is "no meat" so grocery shopping is an adventure.

But during the week, I have changed things so she only prepares me fish. However, I eat meat and chicken for lunch (away from the house). It's a compromise.

Good luck in your efforts to find low carb veggie stuff. It can be done (she does it) but things like pasta, bread, those are a no-no to me but for her....
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 05:17

BF:

Thanks Pilot Gal, That Palak Paneer was definately a favorite of mine. I'll try it!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 07:55

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I would actually love to eat vegetarian every day, that is my preference. Nothing better than large salads. That said, for some reason I gain weight trying to do this so I still have to limit my veggies every day. Don't know why this happens because I tend to think what's healthier than just eating vegetables every day. I go back to meat and fish, then I start losing weight again- makes me sad because I love veggies. Fruit is def off the table for me right now.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 21:33

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Has anyone found it a problem to fill up. I have had to go back to veggie lowcarb due to inflammation. My body won't tolerate meat. Though I have tried everything from Atkins to keto to almost zero carb. I gave these plans several months to work, but the pain was unbearable. So veggie lowcarb is where it has to stay. I just have to figure out how to fill up and stay full.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 22:06

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251
Has anyone found it a problem to fill up. I have had to go back to veggie lowcarb due to inflammation. My body won't tolerate meat. Though I have tried everything from Atkins to keto to almost zero carb. I gave these plans several months to work, but the pain was unbearable. So veggie lowcarb is where it has to stay. I just have to figure out how to fill up and stay full.
Basically I eat double the vegetables I would have normally thought to eat. I don't double lentils. I do make cabbage soups with Miracle rice to fill up as well. (Always have a pot of soup ready to heat up!) My carbs are not that low with all those veggies, but it's how I fill up. And recently I have been preparing double my 'double amount' so I have 2 good-sized meals with cooking just once.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 03:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251

I'm not vegetarian but I can stay "filled up" on vegetables and fat - problem is you'll have a more limited fat selection. Where are you getting the majority of your daily caloric intake now when you are not feeling "filled up" ?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 09:59

BF:

I've been doing portion control since I shouldn't eat more then 1500 calories a day. Tofu and Tempe, peanutbutter veggies, berries nuts and seeds. Avocados, and coconut oil and milk. That makes up the majority of diet. Maybe I need more fat.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 10:56

BF:

I just added CO and peanut butter to my coffee. I am going to try and up my fat intake and see if that helps. Hungry and I don't get along very well. That is what I have against high carb low-fat eating. Wish me luck