Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-13, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: wheatbelly variation
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress:
Smile My Own Variation on The Wheat Belly Plan

Hi all! I spent the last week researching the Wheat Belly and other low carb options. I tried Atkins many years ago with some success but found it hard to maintain for the long haul. I was drawn to the wheat belly (which I'm surprised I have not found mention of here?) because of it's claim to help with joint and arthritis pain, along with weight loss.

It is pretty extreme though... so I made some slight modifications. I am only in day two so it is too soon to tell but I am hopeful that this could work well for me. My big issues are bread and processed sugar. So I'm removing these from the equation and keeping my daily carb intake at below 70grams.

I am allowing my self up to 3 times a week 1 serving of rice or potato but only if I also exercise that day. (This is great incentive to me to exercise), I don't want to give up sushi! LOL! I am keeping it simple. I found a great app to help me keep track of my carbs called Daily Carb. (Love this app!)

Here is my own breakdown notes (please forgive spelling, was pretty sleepy when I wrote it out... should be have not half!):

I'm new to the forum, any feed back appreciated. Anyone here familar with the Wheat Belly book? I actually found another version by Natalie Ray that boils it all down more concisely and is free to borrow on a kindle if you have Amazon Prime. It's called Wheat Belly Diet: Ultimate Guide to Eating Wheat Free

It is also where I copied the food chart from... I only read the sample of the original book. He goes into a lot of detail about his research and how the process of wheat has changed so much since the 50s, which is why he believes modern wheat is so bad for us. Even in whole grain form.... but from reviews I read, he goes on too much. So I switched to the Ray book. She encourages you to take the principles and make it work for you, since a lot of people find it extreme... this is what inspired me to create my plan.

I do have years of experience and actually maintained a 130 lb + weight loss (cut out sugar but not all carbs) for over 15 years. However the last few years it has become harder (pre-menopause and other lifestyle issues are big factors) and I am now at my highest weight since my big lost. Still 80 lbs from my highest but like any addict, its a slippery slop!

p.s. I did not enter real stats, not really sure how they were used. My immediate goal is to lose 60 pounds.

Last edited by cuechick : Tue, Oct-08-13 at 10:44.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-13, 12:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sure, lots of "Wheat Belly" fans here. If arthritis is your issue, you might want to look into veggies in the nightshade family (eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes) as possibly being problematic. But I wouldn't impose more restrictions until you've found something you can live with.

Certain excluding grains is 90% of the benefit, IMHO. A little rice from time to time is probably not going to be a huge issue.

However, you might looking into things like using cauliflower rice instead. I like making Pad Thai with it.

Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-13, 19:23
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the feedback and welcome!

I have never heard of cauliflower rice, will give it a google!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-13, 20:57
Experimenter

BF:

Lots of great recipes here. You might check out the Wheat Belly cookbook too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-13, 04:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There have been many threads on this forum about the Wheat Belly diet and Dr. Davis's plan had fans even before he published the book two years ago. The best source of information about the diet is from his own blog. He is very active on it and a search of subjects there will bring up his own detailed explanations. Here is his summary of the diet: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...-quick-dirty-2/
LIMITED occasional non-gluten carbs like rice are allowed, but you should be careful about hidden sources of gluten, like soy sauce and others on his list, that may contribute to cravings or leaky gut. Some people call WheatBelly Paleo Lite, certainly it is more flexible and to me, far from extreme. My arthritis went away after three weeks of no grains and no sugar so whatever his rules, they are worth trying to see if you have pain relief.

My recommendation would be to follow the above guidelines for 3-4 weeks and then see what you can tolerate adding. At some point you should read his book...he is a funny and accessible writer and you will learn why his plan works for so many. I second his cookbook...it has a long introduction about the plan (but shorter than the book) and great recipes. A good palce o start and Both books may be in your library.

The stats are helpful to members when answering questions...have you just started a long weight loss journey? are you near goal and already at a healthy BMI? What plan are you using? How much to do know about LC?
Whatever plan you decide to follow, welcome and all the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Oct-09-13 at 04:44.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-13, 09:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Janet, very good advice. I think your right giving it some time before allowing occasional grains. I will also finish reading his book and check out the blog.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-13, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: Semi Low Carb
Stats: 215/180/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 54%

I've been doing a variation of Wheat Belly for 7 weeks now. I feel amazing!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-13, 05:27

Great news. Dr Davis has hundreds of success stories on his blog...you can be next. What "variation" do you do? Stricter or less so?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-13, 11:40
Registered Member

BF:

Less strict, I would say. I may eat fruited greek yogurt that has some starch in it once in awhile. But I don't get into wheat because of the stomach upset afterwards. It's not worth it! I feel I can stick to this way. The 11 pounds lost is a real bonus. Most of all, it has helped my depression. That is the real benefit for me doing this.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-13, 17:09
Registered Member

Plan: Just Low Carb ~20
Stats: 120/102/100 Female 5 ft 2
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Oooh. Wheat Belly is actually what first led me to low carb. I injured my knee and I was having bathroom issues and wondered if it was because of my diet. That was when I would eat oatmeal and fruits and try to fill up on fiber practically everyday and wonder why I felt all sick and bloated. Maybe it's a coincidence but once I dropped the oatmeal, my knee stopped aching and the swelling went down and when I started eating more fat my digestion has been way better . I think it's great that you made your own plan because that way you can change it to something that you can do. Lifestyle changes are way better than short-term diet changes that you can't keep.

When I first started, having no sushi and rice seemed foreign to me, especially being Asian but after awhile I don't even miss it. I've never really liked rice because I thought it was just a filler and barely tasted like anything. Anyways, if I don't have rice I could fill up with more foods that I do like . I've never tried cauliflower rice but I heard it's really good. You can even make a mashed potato version And for sushi, have you ever tried sashimi? It's basically sushi without rice. Or you can make your own sushi with seaweed, fish, cauliflower rice, and whatever else you want. I saw a recipe awhile back and it actually looked pretty easy. All the best for you!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-13, 04:47

Thanks, JB. Yeah for Wheat Belly diet. Interesting that it has helped depression too...have you read Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter? He takes Dr. Davis's ideas on the damaging impact of wheat and focuses on neurological health, memory, moods, etc. http://www.drperlmutter.com/about/g...vid-perlmutter/
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-13, 08:06
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the tip on "Grain Brain". I just ordered it on my Kindle. I'm a believer that modern wheat is the root to so many of our problems, at least speaking from my own personal experience. The bottom line is that you must find the answers to help YOU. This lifestyle is not easy for others to accept. I get teased alot by people who don't understand why I will not touch wheat anymore. How dare I not eat a piece of their gorgeous birthday cake? Some people are insulted by that and I do feel bad for a moment. But I have to fight to do this because it's right for ME at this point in time. I've eaten this "engineered wheat" for most of my 60 years and it's taken a huge toll on me physically and mentally. One day at a time now moving forward to better health.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-13, 09:22
Experimenter

BF:

jb88898 it is just easiest to say "I'm allergic" and move on from there.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-13, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/140 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi cuechick! I'm new 2 this site but like u have lost over 100+ lbs in the past & kept it off. And I've also regained quite a bit. I was wondering about the pre-menopause thing? I'm having hard time losing now that I'm back on atkins

I
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-14, 18:42

Plan: A Personalized Plan
Stats: 178/171/120 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 12%

Im doing sort of the same thing. Just posted on another forum. Starting tomorrow. How is it going for you?