Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 16:11

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Thumbs up Classic Almond Flour Pound Cake

For the first time during my year of LCing, I decided to try out a LC recipe for a cake. I found this one at http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/

I am a good cook, but not much of a baker, yet this recipe came out perfectly- even for me. It tastes more like challah bread than pound cake. Definitely a nice treat -- all natural ingredients and a little slice topped with sweet butter goes a long way.

A few notes:
1. There is a typo/confusing wording in the original recipe. I corrected it here.

2. I went the cream cheese and butter route the recipe recommened for a creamier cake - instead using two sticks of butter, I used one stick of butter and 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of Philly cream cheese

3. I baked this in my bundt cake pan. Worked really well.

4. In my oven, this cake was done in 40 minutes.

Classic Almond Flour
Pound Cake

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened at room temperature*
1 cup Splenda
5 eggs - at room temperature
2 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream butter and Splenda well. Add eggs - one at a time - beating well after each. In a separate bowl, mix almond flour with baking powder. Add into egg mixture a little at a time while beating. Add lemon and vanilla extracts. Pour into greased 9"-10" Springform pan (or 9" round cake pan) and bake at 350°F for 50-55 minutes.

Alternatively, for a creamier cake, use 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) and 1/2 cup softened full-fat cream cheese. Also change flavors for this cake by using different extract flavors and even food color if you like.

Makes 12 servings. 5.5 grams of carbohydrate per serving when using all butter. With cream cheese, allow 6.1 grams of carbohydrate per serving.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 22:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/178/140
BF:
Progress: 24%

Where can almond flour be purchased?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 19:09
Registered Member

Stats: 225/214/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Smile almond flour

Almond flour is really easy to make....just grind almonds in a food processor or coffee grinder. Watch that you don't do it for too long, or you will end up with almond butter - which is good also, but not what you are looking for.
you can grind any type - toasted or not, with skins or without.
I'm afraid that doesn't help you to buy the stuff, but hopefully it gives you some ideas.
Happy baking!
Carolyn
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 08:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Almond flour

I buy my almond flour at a local gourmet grocery, but there are plenty of online stores that carry it. Here's a link to one:http://www9.netrition.com/almond_cl...flour_page.html
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 23:05
Registered Member

Stats: 190/178/140
BF:
Progress: 24%

I think I'll give grinding my own a try. In what other types of recipes can almond flour be substituted for regular flour?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:10

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I made the pound cake this weekend and was pretty impressed with the texture and the overall results. Some notes:

- The bitter flavor of artificial sweetener really comes through, especially when the cake is still warm. It dissipates somewhat when the cake is chilled. I think next time I'll try adding spices or reducing the amount of sweetener to reduce that taste.

- There's no need to use a springform pan. The cake does not stick to the pan; it pulls away from the edges of the pan.

- A springform pan allows melted butter to leak out while the cake is baking -- put a rimmed baking sheet underneath it.

- Beating the eggs into the creamed butter produces a gloppy mess, not at all like using the same method with creamed butter and sugar. It all straightens out when the almond flour is added though.

- I wonder if this enormous amount of butter is really necessary. When the cake is chilled it becomes downright hard because of all the solidified butter. I'd try cutting it by one-quarter next time.

The recipe is worth making, my only hestitation is that it's pretty hard to resist when you know it's sitting in the fridge. The carbs add up when you keep going for another piece.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 09:16
Registered Member

Stats: 321/280/225
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Almond Flour

I've found a good online source for almond flour at almondsonline.com out of Stockton, California. The cost for almond "anything" (flour, roasted, plain, flavored, blanched, slivered, raw, etc) is the same. I paid approximatelt $3.99 per pound, delivered in California, when I purchased $40 worth of their products (the shipping will be more for out of state orders, but is readily listed on their site). The products are current crop and fresh --but watch out for those GARLIC flavored roasted almonds --Oh Lawdy, a bit on the strong side!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 11:45

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I made the pound cake again, this time with only 2/3 cup of Splenda. It works and the nasty artificial sweetener taste is mostly gone. It is less sweet, but it still tastes like cake.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 19:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I made this tonight and it's pretty nice. I used the half butter/half cream cheese method, and I used 1/2 cup of Splenda plus 8 drops of Stevia. I can always taste the bitterness of heated Splenda, so...

I took a picture and posted it.

Here are the nutrition stats with my modifications. For 1/8 of the recipe: 356 calories, 33 g fat, 10 g protein, 7 g total carb - 3 g fiber = 4 net carbs.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 19:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

going to have to try this one for my sweet tooth. sue
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 06:39

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdiane1
Where can almond flour be purchased?

Kroger carries it now, in the health food section.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 10:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

anyone tried this in the microwave to cook it? sue
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 07:49

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

Made this last night. It was ok, really light tasting. I think I might add some heavy cream next time around.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 08:06

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I make muffins with ground almonds all the time. I use 1 cup of LC fruit instead of sweeteners. The pound cake looks devine!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 16:47

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I just made this using 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup cream cheese. It's still in the oven. I'm a bit worried, though, because the batter was really thick - it didn't exactly "pour" into the buttered pan. I almost scraped it back out to add some cream, but decided to bake it as is. I've set my timer for 40 minutes, just in case. I'll report back.