Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Glycemic Load
Stats: 232.8/227.6/145 Female 5'5"
BF:49%
Progress: 6%
Default New to this board

Hello everyone.
I'm a newbie to this board, but not to lowcarbing. After bouncing around between CAD, ATKINS, PROTEIN POWER, and WEIGHT WATCHERS, I have finally settled in at SUGAR BUSTERS. I haven't been truly faithful to the program although when I follow it I feel great. Are there many of you here who are on Sugar Busters?

Thanks,
Mary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 11:23
Registered Member

Well, Hi Mary! Welcome to the Sugar Busters board. It's really nice to have you here.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 07:27
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 255/204/140
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi Mary! From what I understand this is a new board to this site and as you can see not too much action yet. I've been keeping an eye on it waiting for some new SB peeps to find it.

I started on July 1 and just love it. I never did any type of carb watching so this is different for me. I've done the regular no fat starvation type diets. I did weight watchers. Richard Simons, Slim-fast. Ect.

I am not really doing low-carb with the SB either. I do all legal carbs but I probably have 1 serving too much of bread. BUT, I am losing weight. Not feeling deprived. And am able to live with this program in my life. So I figure I'm in it for the long run not just to lose a lot of weight real quick. Although I wouldn't mind it. Maybe later after I've adjusted to this I'll see about cutting down on carbs. Switching to Splenda in my coffee was a big enough adjustment!
Cheryl
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 08:24
Registered Member

Hi Cheryl! It's good to see that there is some life on this board. To me, Sugar Busters makes the most sense of any eating program I've seen - very liveable. If you can eat the extra bread and lose, I say go for it. You can always tweak up the road if you need to - and you may very well never need to.

I was on Atkins for a couple of years but when my daughter was diagnosed with 40-60 percent scar tissue on her kidneys (she never dieted, never needed to) I quit Atkins. I don't know that anyone has ever had kidney problems on Atkins, but I don't want to take any chances in the event that my daughter should need a kidney transplant in the future.

I just feel great on Sugar Busters. I've had trouble sticking to any program since I quit smoking. Smoking was a huge crutch to keep me from eating and I am constantly working on filling that void.

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble on, I'm just glad that there is someone else here.

Best wishes,
Mary
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 255/204/140
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hey these boards are here to ramble!
Sorry to hear about your daughters problems. Do they know what has caused the scar tissue?
I quit smoking in May of 1999 after about 15 years (ugh). I had 2 strokes caused by a condition called Central Nervous System Vasculitis (CNSV). I am so glad I quit! I see people smoke now and wonder how I ever did. And I really loved my cigarettes and didn't know what I would do with myself if I didn't smoke. My mom quit also after smoking 40 years. Unfortunately they just found a tumor on her voice box. She's going for a biopsy on the 5th.

I am so happy to find a system that actually works without all kinds of counting and gadgets and what not. A lot of our socializing is done eating out and this is easy to eat out with.
I've lost without exercising or starving. Now that I've gotten the hang of it I'm going to look into some exercising. Kick it up a notch
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:56
Registered Member

Hi Cheryl,
Sorry to hear about your Mom's tumor. Is it operable, I hope? I am a pastoral musician and cantor. I quit smoking because I was having problems. I'm still having some problems, but I think it may be age related. My voice changes every 10 years, it seems.

As for my daughter, the doctor says that the damage looks like what Lupus does, but Melisa didn't have enough markers for him to be able to diagnose it as that. They caught this because she was having awful headaches. We found out that they were caused by very high blood pressure. (I thank God for the headaches because often there are often no symptoms.) We don't know if the high blood pressure caused the kidney damage or vice versa. These are both markers for Lupus, but they don't necessarily have to be. At any rate, her doctor said the treatment would be the same whether this was Lupus or not. (My mother died of Lupus when she was 32 - you can imagine how I was freaking.) Melisa was on Prednisone for a little over a year, combined with low dose chemo. She is off all meds now except the blood pressure. She looks and feels good. She was married in April. Due to kidney damage and/or the chemo medicine she had, she may not be able to have kids. Right now I am just very thankful that she is doing well, is very happy, and we love her new husband. (They live right next to us on the next farm - which we own.)

Anyway, good to hear from you. I sure do consider Sugar Busters a God send.

Is CNSV reversible? How are you doing with it now that you have quit smoking? I sure wish I could get my DH to quit. It's weird because we went to one of those hypnosis seminars. I went with him even though I wasn't ready to quit. (I was just going to quit long enough for him to be off cigs. I could control my smoking. (Such denial) Anyway, the joke was on me because I never started up again after the seminar. He has gone back twice and he's still smoking. He doesn't smoke in the house so at least that's a few hours a day less of smoking than before.

Well, I'm peeling wallpaper - getting ready to sponge paint the living room. You have a great day.

Blessings,
Mary