Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 15:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Using an apple is a clever sub for sugar-- bet that apples were used for centuries as the sweetener.

Im a huge fan of apples----a good food.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 18:12

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Read about tooth blotting from Ramiel Nagel's Cure Tooth Decay (2007).

Gum Disease Remedy, Receding Gums Treatment < video

a better video from the originator:

Dr Joseph Phillips explains The Blotting Technique

Last edited by s93uv3h : Mon, Jul-16-18 at 18:38.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 19:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Read about tooth blotting from Ramiel Nagel's Cure Tooth Decay (2007).

Gum Disease Remedy, Receding Gums Treatment < video

a better video from the originator:

Dr Joseph Phillips explains The Blotting Technique

What did Nagel have to say about the method?
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 20:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Using an apple is a clever sub for sugar-- bet that apples were used for centuries as the sweetener.

Im a huge fan of apples----a good food.

Very true because it is a sub but still has sugar. One way or the other, that Red Cabbage needs some. That's why I'm thinking artificial sweetener. I cut it out everywhere I can think of.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 21:07

BF:

I often use apples because they have good nutrients -1/4 apple at a time these days. Everyday gets me into trouble though.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 22:07

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

As no one else has mentioned this I will put forward a blog that might be of interest. I ran across this awhile ago, and have found it interesting.

https://drdanenberg.com/blog/
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 05:33

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
What did Nagel have to say about the method?

It was mentioned in chapter 7 Healthy Gums Lead to Healthy Teeth. He quotes Dr. Phillips: The truth of the matter is that brushing and flossing causes periodontal disease. His video explains more - the dentist tells you to brush more, floss more, and no amount of brushing or flossing will cure the disease, and since it's concentrating more tatar under the gum line, it will worsen it.

More here: How Periodontal Disease Progesses

If your dentist says “you have to brush more because you have plaque on your teeth” and the next time you see him he says “you have to brush still more and floss more because your gums are bleeding” and he suggests that you see the hygienist more often for cleaning your teeth, you will soon be a candidate for deep curettage and periodontal (gum) surgery.

Frequent brushing and flossing, cleaning by the hygienist and gum surgery never cure periodontal disease. As time goes on this leads to more curettage and surgery, and eventually, extraction of the teeth.

The truth of the matter is that brushing and flossing causes periodontal disease. Cleaning under the gums daily will keep the disease from getting started and, in most cases, will heal the gums. By using a special bristled brush with much the same texture as a paint brush, it can draw plaque from underneath the gum and heal gum disease in over 98% of the cases. This will also keep the gum disease from reoccurring.

I always told my patients “if you want to see what brushing does, just lay a rug on a dirty kitchen floor and brush or sweep around and onto the rug and when you lift the rug up, you will see that most of the dirt is packed at the edge of the rug.” The same thing happens when your brush you teeth. The sulcus (the groove between the gum and the tooth) is always the dirtiest after brushing. You should not brush your teeth unless you can clean the sulcus out afterwards.

If you use the Blotting Brush (recommended for this cleaning technique) to clean under the gum plus the entire mouth, you will have a healthy mouth and a pleasant breath.

Research update: US researchers studied 657 people and found that those with gum disease were more likely to have narrowed blood vessels that can lead to a heart attack or stroke. Scientists theorise that the bacteria that causes gum disease spreads through the bloodstream and causes inflammation and clogged arteries.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 06:36

BF:

Looks like his focus is on the blotting method. I watched part of the video last night---- and was left wondering about another aspect.

WHat if the plaque was prevented to begin with? Is plaque the primary problem? ANd if that material is the first step toward dental disease, then how to prevent the plaque?

Im thinking about the millions of years that humans did not brush at all, and yet had gorgeous teeth, fairly healthy compared to the current situation.

Along those lines--why do modern dogs need teeth scaling, but didnt long ago? The canine teeth are not well documented, so manybe this is a bad example. My rotties had little tartar.... and that keeps me thinking and asking questions.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 07:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
As no one else has mentioned this I will put forward a blog that might be of interest. I ran across this awhile ago, and have found it interesting.

https://drdanenberg.com/blog/

Good to see many other dentists are on the same band wagon. Did a bit of reading last night.....more to go!!
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 07:17

BF:

vit K2

http://www.cheeseslave.com/sources-of-vitamin-k2/

Interesting article BUT only list MK-4 in the graph; MK-7 is regularly mentioned on other sites but not here.

https://www.westonaprice.org/health...k-test-results/

When looking at the graph reporting the levels of K2 in a recent analysis , 2014 as I recall, the sub headings are from MK-4- MK-10 ,with all samples testing 0 for the numer 10. And the amount varies by product thru all the other sub headings.

Is one subheading better than another??? MK-4 and Mk-7, but why are the others not mentioned regularly?

My personal thoughts are: variety is a good thing.

ghee is only butter clarified, which means a higher concentration of all oil based components. A stick of butter will have the same amounts clarified or not.

Emu oil--very curious---what is the source used for the testing? ANd how are the emus fed?

One question was why the butter is pushed/supported but not the emu oil. THere could be many reasons like palatability or acceptability to the public.

Im better there are a few adventurous people that would track down the emu oil.

I know one friend that used emu oil as a conveyor of a medication, for topical use. Perhaps it has topical value, rather than eating, to save calories.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Jul-17-18 at 08:07.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 08:31

BF:

Here is a tooth brushing product that lists its ingredients. Im not endorsing it but rather interested in the contents. Interested in how it effects the health of the gums and ulitmately the teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqybc7KTvKA
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 12:19
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Vitamin K2 seems to be much more beneficial when obtained naturally from vitamin K foods. What foods are high in K2? Unlike vitamin K1, which is mostly found in plant foods like leafy green vegetables, you get K2 from animal-derived foods. Some of the healthiest vitamin K2 foods include grass-fed meats, raw/fermented cheeses and eggs. It’s also produced by the beneficial bacteria in your gut microbiome.
-- Dr. Axe

Trying a new homemade toothpaste twice a week: baking soda, calcium carbonate powder and lemon juice.

Dogs fed on kibble get tartar. Mine get some dry food, but it's not wheat or grain based. No tartar, even on the K9's

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, Jul-17-18 at 12:58.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 12:55

BF:

Mike, do give a review of your new toothpaste in a couple weeks, if you would.

Dr Axe's info is a little light on the details. Us humans on our current diet are not able to make enough K2 in our gut. Natto , and emu oils are very high; with moderate amounts from butter, ghee and eggs. Goose liver is rather high, but then goose is almost always raised on a pasture.

I thought it interesting that eggs from The Netherlands has twice our eggs.

Many options to use our diet to get K2. SOme hard cheeses are better than others. Like gouda.

I do think about a time when a meal was finished with cheeses as the dessert......
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 13:18
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Angry Scaling and root planing

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Frequent brushing and flossing, cleaning by the hygienist and gum surgery never cure periodontal disease.
True, you have to treat the cause: pathogenic bacteria in the mouth or by quitting smoking.

As far as cleaning goes, I vote for the waterpik. I use an old InterPlak, almost as powerful as the ultrasonic scaler the hygienist uses.
Quote:
Plaque is a biofilm composed of several different kinds of bacteria and their products that develop over the enamel on a layer known as pellicle.

The tooth pellicle, is a protein film that forms on the surface enamel by selective binding of glycoproteins from saliva that prevents continuous deposition of salivary calcium phosphate. It forms in seconds after a tooth is cleaned or after chewing. It protects the tooth from the acids produced by oral microorganisms after consuming carbohydrates. -- Wiki
I don't seem to get that on my teeth anymore or perhaps I do now?

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, Jul-17-18 at 13:31.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 20:47

BF:

Instictively I dumped the remaining Listerine down the sink. But then the thought, dang, what will I use?

Did you know Listerine was created as a steriling solution. Stupid me didnt put 2 and 2 together that our mouth is alive with good bacteria....... that took Dr Lin !

https://www.drstevenlin.com/3-natur...-healthy-teeth/

3 Natural Homemade Mouthwashes
Try these variations to freshen your breath and improve your oral health.

Spicy Ginger & Mint Herb Mouthwash
One of the reasons I like this mouthwash recipe is that it’s got all the right natural ingredients without using any essential oils. While essential oils can be great for your mouth, they are strong antimicrobials and if you use too much it could hurt your oral microbiome.

This mouthwash is savory and the longer you let it simmer the spicier it will become. One of the benefits of the spiciness is it stimulates salivation, which is great for your teeth.

Ingredients:

Ginger root – This should be fresh and about one inch grated. Ginger is naturally antibacterial. If you enjoy the taste of ginger, feel free to use more.
Peppermint – This should be fresh and torn or chopped coarsely. A small bunch works well. Most people associate mouthwash and toothpastes with peppermint flavor, this is because peppermint is great for your teeth and gums. It’s main component is menthol, which is naturally soothing.
Turmeric – You can use the powdered form from your spice cabinet. I recommend a teaspoon or two. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory and great for overall oral health and in fighting gum disease.
Cinnamon – You can use a teaspoon or two from your spices or add a cinnamon stick. Cinnamon is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and adds to the spiciness for better flavor and salivation.

You probably noticed I wasn’t strict with the exact amounts needed in this recipe. This is because it’s all going to be simmered in water and each spice can be adjusted according to your personal taste.

Recipe:

Add everything to about 2 to 3 cups of water in a pot on the stove.
Bring to a low simmer.
Let simmer covered for 25-30 minutes. Keeping in mind that the longer you let it simmer the spicer it will become.
Taste periodically and simmer longer if you’d prefer a stronger flavor, but not going past 45 minutes.
Strain through a very fine strainer into a glass jar.
Let cool and store in the fridge for up to three weeks.
Easy CocoMint Mouthwash
This mouthwash doesn’t require any simmering and is a great option for anyone who wants something easy. Plus, the ingredients are probably already in your kitchen.

Ingredients:

2 cups warm water
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
½ teaspoon of Celtic sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt
¼ teaspoon of baking soda
2 drops of peppermint oil
Recipe:

Mix ingredients in a glass container and shake well.
You’ll have to shake with each use.
Keep out of sunlight but also somewhere warm enough where the coconut oil won’t solidify. If it does become solid, you can run the glass jar under warm water.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Jul-17-18 at 20:57.