Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 10:54

Plan: my own
Stats: 215/170.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Eating Yeast Make Fibro Pain MUCH Worse?

I think I've stumbled onto a connection of fibro pain and eating yeast products - breads, rolls, etc.

I baked a batch of yeast rolls and the next day I was in so much fibro pain. It took me a couple of days to make the connection, after eating them again and having the same experience again. I did some research and it seems that others have noticed that connection as well.

Has anybody noticed that when they eat yeast-containing foods, that your fibro pain is much worse?

I started doing heavy probiotics to counter the apparent yeast overgrowth in the intestines.

I shouldn't be eating roll or bread of any kind anyway, so giving it up isn't really an issue.

Has anyone else noticed this about yeast? I'd like to hear if anyone can confirm my suspicions about this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 11:06

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I don't have fibromyalgia.

However, I occasionally will exhibit many symptoms of it. Apparently I have an allergy to eggs, as whenever I ate them while doing Atkins, I'd get serious carb cravings within the hour, really bad ones. I was told that this is indicative of an egg allergy and that I should get tested.

So I haven't eaten eggs in weeks, and decided to "test," eating them for supper one day ago and then for breakfast the following day.

I am quite surprised to see that my very FLUCUATING symptoms of carpel tunnel syndrome are suddenly in full force -- and I wonder if it is the recent eggs I ate.

Also, if you are gluten sensitive or gluten intolerant, lots of the symptoms in some people are very similar to fibro.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 16:38

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

I started the anti-Candida diet a little over two months ago, but I made a lot of changes at once. Not only did I go sugar-free and yeast-free (including vinegar), but I also went gluten-free, soy-free, and mostly dairy-free (I still eat butter and whole organic plain yogurt, and I occasionally cheat with milk or heavy cream). I was already corn-free, oats-free, mushroom-free, peanut-free, and mostly nut-free since I had had obvious reactions to those things. (I test positive for yeast and mold allergies among many, many other things.) I also avoid foods in the nightshades family (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and eggplants) with exception of cayenne.

Prior to going on this diet, I could barely get up and down my stairs. On some days, I couldn't even bend or straighten my hands. Now, both my fibro symptoms as well as my arthritis symptoms are minimal.

Of course, since I also have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities), I've been avoiding being around chemicals as much as possible as well. Chemicals definitely trigger flare-ups for me. Some researchers believe that fibro and MCS go hand in hand.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 20:21

Plan: my own
Stats: 215/170.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Why no Nightshades?

Judy - why do you avoid the nightshades, except cayenne? I remember reading something about that somewhere, but don't remember the reason.

Thanks, Kelly
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 20:29

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

Kelly, nightshades cause inflammation in some people. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people. I was hoping I wasn't, but when I began to do food challenges, I found that tomatoes and potatoes definitely cause problems for me. I haven't tried eggplants or bell peppers since I started challenging foods, so I don't know whether or not they'll also be problems.

Cayenne is controversial. It helps inflammation for some and causes inflammation for others. I haven't been having any problems with it, yet after eating cayenne last night, I woke up this morning with some inflammation in my hands (not nearly as bad as with potatoes and tomatoes, though). I ate a variety of foods last night, so I can't be sure of what the cause was, but I will challenge cayenne as well as the other foods to try to determine what the culprit is.