Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-08, 18:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260.4/237.2/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Fatigue

I was diagnosed with FMS over 10 years ago. So I'm a long time sufferer. Lately, I've felt like crap. I'm not sleeping well at all. Doctor didn't know what to do with me, so she sent me for a sleep study. I should get the results of that in a few weeks (soonest I could get an appointment). I'm so fatigued in the afternoon I can barely stand it, and I have a 4 year old at home 90% of the time (she goes to preschool 2 mornings a week for 2 1/2 hrs) and an 8 and 11 year old after school. I feel bad for them that I can barely function. My DH is great about letting me rest but it doesn't seem to help.
I'm not really a believer in supplements, but I do take magnesium malate, vitamin D, calcium, essential oils, and I started taking D-ribose again to see if it will help. I'm at a loss for what else to do. I need to feel better so my family doesn't suffer. My poor husband really has to pick up a lot of slack and I feel bad for him, he works a full time job and I don't.
Any suggestions?

Forgot to mention, even as crappy as I feel, I AM exercising every day, for around 45 minutes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-08, 12:08
Registered Member

Stats: 257/222/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I've been fighting fatique for years now. Some things that maybe seem to help it for me are: an iron supplement, concentrated Vit B (liquid drops taken under tongue), and coconut oil. For some reason, taking coconut oil and tea right before I go to bed seems to help me sleep more soundly and I feel slight more refreshed in the morning - although others say it causes them insomina.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 05:32

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

good luck and hang in there. insominia is a nightmare for those experiencing it. Actually it is worse than a nightmare, b/c at least with nightmares, you are sleeping. I had the same problem and had the sleep study, went to a group and so on. Some good came out of it, but it just had to run its course. I think of insomnia as cyclical, you may have it for a few days, weeks, or on and off for months . When I am expereriencing it I tell myself it will pass in time and try not to get too anxious, b/c it only makes it worse. Currently I am in a good cycle of being able to sleep. A lot of my problems had to do with anxiety and stress about my former job. It is great you are exercising, you did not fall into the trap I did -not exercising or eating like I should b/c I was so tired. It only made things worse.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 07:33

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Have you had your adrenals check? Although I don't have FMS my old dr wanted to test me for lupus and CFS. My new dr had me tested for adrenal fatigue because I am having the same problems you describe. Sure enough--Adrenal Fatigue-- which is treatable. My new dr is a MD/homeopath.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 09:48
Registered Member

Stats: 270/270/175 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

I been dealing with this myself. Sometimes it is worse than other times.

It started when I starved myself and drank nothing but diet pop to keep from eating. I then got cancer. wonder why, NOT. I am ok but I still deal with the tiredness and feeling crappy often.

My friend suggest auto immune issues. I told my doc of it and I suppose I should get brave to be tested but I just don't like docs much any more as they could have killed me with the meds they made me take. I am no longer on meds and do a bit better off of them but still get this tiredness and crappy feeling. I think I did damage to my body with I did that so I am stuck with it but it is not as bad as it was many years ago. I would pass out then. No, docs did not believe me either but now a days they are better about that.

I just ride it through now when it is worse.

Barb
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 10:00

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

FWIW, I got my blood tests and saliva test before I ever went to the Dr. Then I did research on the 'net so I knew what I was talking about. I basically went in and said here are my results, these are the problems and then we discussed the treatment. I no longer trust Drs to diagnose.

Personally, I was not willing to accept CFS or FMS as the final diagnosis as I believe they are a symptom of underlying problems. We may just know what they are. Of course, I have been known to occasionally be wrong!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 11:18

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

A lot of us fibro sufferers do have sleep apnea. I had my sleep study done last year and found that I wake up 30 times per hour on average..high being 48 times, low being 23. The sleep machine has been really difficult for me to get used to but I'm getting better at keeping it on lnger through the night.