Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-18, 13:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Did you hear? Metformin as an anti-aging drug.

Ran across this today.

Quote:
The Safe, Boring, and Extremely Cheap Drug That Could Cure Aging

Metformin, Barzilai and his team believe, will be the first drug ever to be officially approved to treat aging.

“Over dinner one night, I said to Nir, ‘You know, I’m leaving this weight-loss clinic, which means they’re going to stop prescribing metformin. But I think I’d like to stay on it,’” Cantor says. Barzilai wrote the prescription himself, and Cantor now takes metformin off-label in hopes that it will grant him a few extra years of life, or at least of health.

“I’ve bought into this idea — it’s not just an idea, it’s a fact — that you don’t really die of old age,” Cantor says. “Most people die of age-related disease.”

Or, I dunno, maybe EAT RIGHT?

A low carb diet has a known anti-aging effect too... reduces free radicals, inflammation, and AGEs.

And so metformin is not without its side effects, I understand.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-18, 14:41

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

How do side effects like heartburn, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, diarrhea, constipation & headaches make you look younger?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-18, 14:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
How do side effects like heartburn, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, diarrhea, constipation & headaches make you look younger?

Maybe one on metformin looks like an infant with colic?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-18, 14:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ROFL

-----maybe like many meds, the dose is altered, often the timing or reduce the dosing......
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-18, 17:43

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

drugs deplete your mg.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 06:15

BF:

The mere thought is an admission that blood sugar control is a part of the health picture!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 07:41

BF:

. . . and in today's world, there seems to be a preference to control things like high blood sugar with a prescription . . . a sad distortion of how we should be viewing health.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 07:52

BF:

Gave The Dental Diet to a family member to read-- a dentist--- the conversation was only that fructose is the culprit for our health problems, notably obesity{thud}

I feel like I am talking to dinosaurs--- people behind the times, and not up to speed....

Hmm, Merformin ..... or fasting??? FASTING is MY first choice.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 08:04

BF:

Mind you, I can stack my supplement bill up against anyone here: and I would probably win. This is the latest list in what has been a health struggle that is getting into its seventh year:
  • multigram doses of Omega 3 fish oil - to heal my brain
  • multigram doses of pregnenolone - to replace hormones, neurotransmitters, and lower cortisol
  • theraputic niacin, 3k a day with B complex & C - to lower my anxiety
  • Vitamin D3 with K2 - to support immune system & all other good things
  • chelated magnesium - for mental health and balance electrolytes
  • kelp - all the micronutrients
  • black cherry - because gout runs in the family and my arthritis is in my thumbs

I believe in nutrients. After years of bad eating, and current issues which probably mean I need help, I don't see how even the most calibrated eating will meet my extreme needs.

And unless you are under forty and live naked on the equator, it's likely you need the D & K.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 08:26

BF:

Supplements make a lot of sense when keeping in mind that the very essential minerals we need like magnesium have been leached from the soil. It's particularly challenging for vegans and vegetarians because today, meat is the most nutrient dense and complete source of food.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 10:38

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5772929/
Quote:
In vivo and in vitro studies have revealed that metformin has a direct antitumor effect, which may depress tumor proliferation and induce the apoptosis, autophagy and cell cycle arrest of tumor cells. The mechanism underpinning the antitumor effect of metformin has not been well established. Studies have demonstrated that reducing insulin and insulin-like growth factor levels in the peripheral blood circulation may lead to the inhibition of phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt/mechanistic target of rapamycin (mTOR) signaling or activation of AMP-activated protein kinase, which inhibits mTOR signaling, a process that may be associated with the antitumor effect of metformin.
This is just an example of the first thing that popped up when I googled "metformin" with "cancer." There are some real effects going on with metformin in the anti-cancer and anti-aging fields, likely related to the above mechanisms. Would I take metformin just to slow aging without another medical reason to do so? Maybe not. But for those who need it anyway for other medical conditions, nice side effect benefit?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 11:27

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'm ok with blaming insulin, but I'm not ok with blaming IGF-1. To wit, IGF-1 is stimulated by growth hormone and GH is absolutely essential for maintaining good health, never mind a child's growth.

So, how does metformin work? It activates insulin receptors. In doing so, this means insulin is now more potent. This is probably good at the liver, where insulin is degraded, hence the claimed drop of insulin in peripheral tissue. But everywhere else, it just makes things worse, especially at the fat tissue, especially when there's already too much insulin floating around, ya?

Cancer and insulin, it's a pair. Well, if we activate the insulin receptors, and if that makes insulin more potent, that's a problem.

Metformin and longevity, and of course insulin, it's a trio. From c. elegans research by (I forget her name), we know insulin (and glucose) is certainly involved at least mechanistically with longevity. The more insulin, the shorter those worms lived. The more metformin, the more potent insulin, you do the math.

Apparently, those who take metformin suffer fewer all-causes diseases than those who don't take metformin. Problem with this comparison, where's the healthy people that don't take metformin? Jeebus, where's the healthy people that take metformin, huh? Cuz metformin is prescribed only to sick people.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 17:16

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

How convenient. A drug that's already been paid for all of a sudden is a cure all. Studies galore. But who paid for these studies? Who is paying the studiers?

The Corruption of Evidence Based Medicine – Killing for Profit 4-9-2018
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 17:24

BF:

Yes, very suspect.

I'd rather use fasting than metformin. As I know many on this forum would, whereas those that want to pop a pill will ask for metformin, and happily believe all will be well.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 21:02
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

Rapamycin [Everolimus, Afinitor or Sirolimus] is another drug gaining traction among the "healthspan" crowd. Inhibition of mTOR, the molecular target of everolimus, extends the lifespan of model organisms including mice, and mTOR inhibition has been suggested as an anti-aging therapy. A study is under way in Seattle to see if rapamycin extends the lives of pet dogs.

The side effects will curl your hair -- I would rather die early.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...en-waiting-for/

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Sep-06-18 at 21:22.