Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-16, 16:07

Plan: General
Stats: 388/388/158 Male 5 foot 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default How did you know your goal weight?

I've started low carb today and signed up on this website also (obviously). One of the questions to sign up was to put int a goal weight. Having so much to lose and having been well over 300 pounds for 10-15 years, I have no idea what a good goal weight would be. I know what my BMI weight should be, but I don't know if I need to be that thin. Right now, I really just want to lose 'some' weight.

All this said, how did anyone else come up with a goal weight?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-16, 16:35

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 355/340/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I remember a weight I was when I was comfortable in my own skin. I liked how my clothes fit, and I had zero weight limitations (like riding a bike or running).
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 06:16

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 197/180/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Your goal weight doesn't have to be your "final" goal weight. I chose a weight I feel I can reach where I'm comfortable at my age. If I choose to reduce from there I will make that decision at the time.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 07:55
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I looked my stats up on a BMI chart and picked the first round number that fell out of the obese category. BMI does not fit well with my shape. I am big framed, have shorter legs and a longer torso. I would look thin as a bean pole if I ever hit my "normal" BMI weight (178 or under). I'm happy where I am; overweight is good enough.

I used my "diet" to figure out how I need to eat for the rest of my life. I tweaked things along the way and pretty much ate at a level that would support my "goal" weight in maintenance. I just kept doing what I was doing and eventually I landed where I am today. It's a good weight for me. And I continue to eat LCHF. No off-plan deviations for me. Low carb got me here. It will keep me here.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Oct-27-16 at 08:58.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 08:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

I went with the first multiple of five that was within "normal" BMI. Also, though, it was the weight that I was at for much of my forties. I didn't think that aiming for my 20's weight of high 120's low 130's was wise, but mid 140's seemed both doable and a good weight for me.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 10:26

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I picked a weight that I was comfortable at in my early 20s (even though I always wanted to lose a little -- young women are nuts that way), but was still 13 pounds more than my thinnest weight ever as an adult (which I hit after obsessive low-fat dieting and marathon-type exercise in my late 20s). My goal weight now is 14 pounds under the "overweight" level for my height, which is a bit strict as I am big-framed. I am not wed to my "goal weight" -- I may never get there, or I may surpass it -- but I will take that as it comes. I want to look good, feel good, be energetic, and be able to do athletic stuff with ease (I ski every day in the winter -- extra weight really impacts that!!! This year will be MUCH easier than last year!).
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 08:58

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

I looked at the 'appropriate' weight for my age/height, and then added about 20 pounds, because I want my goal to be something I can attain and maintain. Like others have also indicated - it's a starting point that we can adjust if needed. I wanted my goal weight to be a challenge (LOL - like having over 100 pounds to lose ISN'T enough of a challenge), but also something I feel I can do. I wanted to believe, from the very beginning, that I could hit that goal eventually. If I went with what I'm 'supposed' to weigh, I think I would have started out already slightly discouraged that my goal was not attainable. Good luck, and welcome!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 10:28

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I did two things initially - thought back to when I felt "perfect" - as much as I ever had, and asked my doctors.

Then as I lost all the weight, I took a good look in the mirror and realized we had all goofed. No one had taken into consideration the weight of all the loose skin I now had. I was gaunt, my collarbones jutted, you could see all the bones in my sternum and I was still 4 pounds above the goal weight I and the docs had chosen.

I failed maintenance, gained back over 110, but am heading back down to a goal weight I know I won't feel so gaunt at, and should still be a normal bmi - 160. If it's not, well screw 'em. It's going to be where I stop.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

The good news is that the loose skin does, over time, lessen. Maybe not to a beach body, but there gets to be less of it. Even with an old person like me.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-16, 05:39

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
The good news is that the loose skin does, over time, lessen. Maybe not to a beach body, but there gets to be less of it. Even with an old person like me.

My arms tightened, but not my middle...I did this slowly over 4 years, it would be wonderful if when I get back to maintenance, it does gradually tighten over the years. I'm no spring chicken anymore either
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-16, 06:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:

Goal weights can change. Mine kept inching downward as I lost. Starting at 250, it was 175. As I neared 175, I dropped it to 150. At 150, I dropped it to 140, possibly my final goal, but I'm not committed to it. I might head towards 135, or even 130!

Whole-body exercise really helps with loose skin, as does deep massaging with lotion, but it won't completely go away. I'd much rather have a thinner body that feels good, moves easily and wears clothes better than it ever has done in my life, than to be overweight again and wrinkle-free. Best thing I've done for myself is to accept that I am aging and that wrinkles are a part of aging.

Next best thing was to move into a retirement community where everyone is wrinkled.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 11:10

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well here is my two cents. I have been overweight my entire life. I am not exaggerating here. I was an overweight child, an overweight teen and an overweight young adult. Then I ate my way to an very obese adult. Small framed 5 ft tall 300 pound woman. Yup, very obese. Not proud of that fact, but I am owning it.

I am on my way down and am very happy about that, but I have no idea of when I felt comfortable before, because, truthfully, I don't think I ever did.

I am short, my ideal weight is suppose to be 115 pounds. Hahahaha. No way am I aiming for that. I think I will be comfortable at 125-130 pounds. And since I have been overweight all my life, my skin has been stretched to the max and always has been. Think of a balloon filled up for a very long time and then the air is released. There is no way it will ever tighten. I have been to 4 plastic surgeons for advice and although they disagree on what can be done, they all agree that I have about 25-30 pounds of excess skin that will never go away.

Am I going to have skin removal surgery? I don't know. But I am not closing the door on it. Surprisingly, the only thing that really bothers me is my arms. There is a lot, and I mean a lot of loose skin. So much so that it actually gets in the way. I don't want perfection but after all my hard work, I want to be comfortable in my own skin and if removing some extra skin will help with my confidence. Then so be it.

Just my two cents...
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 13:38

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

Jakz1269 - first, congratulations on a fabulous journey so far! only 2 lbs away from one of the magic numbers I hope to start my weight with a '1' sometime this year too.
Second - I think that if the loose skin impedes your quality of life, you may be able to have part of the skin reduction surgery covered under insurance. Someone told me that if it caused rashes and such that couldn't clear up, because there was simply too much loose skin, that it would be more of a medical necessity and not elective. Again, I'm not positive, but look into it if ever you seriously consider the surgery
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 14:01

Plan: ZC (started w/Atkins)
Stats: 164/132.8/124 Female 5x2"
BF:27%
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis78
I've started low carb today and signed up on this website also (obviously). One of the questions to sign up was to put int a goal weight. Having so much to lose and having been well over 300 pounds for 10-15 years, I have no idea what a good goal weight would be. I know what my BMI weight should be, but I don't know if I need to be that thin. Right now, I really just want to lose 'some' weight.

Looking at your profile at 5'8" ~ 155 to 165 is a good gosl for you!
You have 158 down & I think that is doable!

I would take it slow & incorporate some weight training into your program after you loose down to where you can workout comfortable & breathing is not labored!
And start out with lower weights & more reps. Then build up!
Building your muscles will make the pounds come off slower (as muscle weights more than fat) but it will make the skin flab be less! Just my thoughts here!

Best of luck to you!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 14:55

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy0652
Jakz1269 - first, congratulations on a fabulous journey so far! only 2 lbs away from one of the magic numbers I hope to start my weight with a '1' sometime this year too.
Second - I think that if the loose skin impedes your quality of life, you may be able to have part of the skin reduction surgery covered under insurance. Someone told me that if it caused rashes and such that couldn't clear up, because there was simply too much loose skin, that it would be more of a medical necessity and not elective. Again, I'm not positive, but look into it if ever you seriously consider the surgery

1. Thanks for the support. But today I am up to 206. Not sure what happened. I didn't eat off program but my body seems to fluctuate alot lately. Trying not to let it bother me...but not always successful.

2. I am going to make an appointment with my doctor in the new year to look into that. I don't really get rashes, but the skin is very saggy not very appealing so I am going to check out if I qualify.

3. You have done extremely well youself!! Here's to both of us being in the promiseland - onderland!