Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-15, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb /CAD/Veg(ish)
Stats: 192/185/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbmw
Thanks, I've heard about that program, but I haven't looked into it yet. I think I will though.

Hello! There is a CAD/CALP board if you want to join in the Hour Power discussion over there. Patricia posts regularly. Some of us pop in and post once in a while.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-15, 09:21

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

I was on adkins for years and lost a lot weight, but I started gaining while still following the plan I thought it was from getting older. I found out it was hypo thyroid. I now am on a semi low carb and the weight is coming off but I feel amazing. I also found throwing in a bit of intermittent fasting helps, not crazy just 16 hrs. I do eat high fat it keeps me full longer. I stay away from sugar, wheat, corn, soy, processed foods and pufas. I do have some fruit and a little potatoes or sweet potatoes. I guess everyone has to find their own woe.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 20:45

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

dmarie--just curious about what your carb level currently is? and how did you figure out you were hypothyroid? I'm currently trying to wean off of a tricyclic that I have been on for years. I'm hopeful that getting off it will help with weight loss.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-15, 19:32

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

I stay between 50 to 100, and I found out about my thyroid at a physical, and to be honest I was shocked. The other thing I think has helped is I try to go 16 hours between dinner and breakfast.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 05:52

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

dmarie, I also try to do the IF with an 8 hour eating window, but I'm not always successful at it. It really helps with weight loss when I can stick to it. My thyroid is also a little low, but when I was put on meds it went too far the other way. I started taking Kelp capsules and they help a little bit.
  #96   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-15, 01:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

That's interesting to hear!
I am also giving the 16:8 a go. Not deliberately I just find that it seems an easier way to control hunger and habit of picking at foods. Early days but I am managing to stay within calorie limit (I need one). Blood sugar falling in the morning has always been my downfall and this seems to keep it steady.
Got to keep trying to find what works and suits each of our metabolisms.
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-15, 12:24

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

I haven't tried IF really. I have heard about it but haven't tried it yet. I suspect I would do ok with it though. I know that it just irritates me with some eating plans where they want you to eat every 3 hours or so to keep metabolism up.

I do eat that often, unfortunately not intentionally. I would love to have the will power to only eat 3 meals a day with no snacking in between. Then I could transition to IF.
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-15, 01:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Guess we are all trying to find something sustainable that gets us where we want to be. Failed miserably at the 16-8 yesterday, think that may be down to a chequered history of binging. Had a light breakfast again and see if that can prevent relapse!
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-15, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugujo

I would love to have the will power to only eat 3 meals a day with no snacking in between. Then I could transition to IF.

That's the way we ate growing up. It never entered my mind to eat when it wasn't meal time. The only thing there would have been to eat between meals was bread, and no peanut butter or jelly to put on it. That was just the routine in our house. Never any snack food like pretzels or chips, cake only when it was someone's birthday, and that was served after dinner.

My husband grew up differently. They always had baked goods and snack food in the house, and he still eats a lot of snack food and baked goods.

So why is he thin and I'm overweight? Because when we married, I adopted his eating habits, and they don't work the same way for me.
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-15, 11:11

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

PaCarolSue, darn it when we pick up spouses habits. I just remember being a sneak eater growing up. My mom counted and measured foods such as cookies, cake and ice cream. If the count or measurement was off, I got blamed. So, I learned to go a buy food and sneak it into my room.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, May-13-15, 14:58

Plan: ?
Stats: 245/237/200 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 18%

I think I also fall into this semi-low carb category. I decided that I need to lose weight and I just can't do Atkins again. I did it around 13 years ago and lost 80 lbs then it all came back on.

I decided that now I am just not going to eat flour or sugar. I know, simple, right? I am also including potatoes and rice, so basically nothing "white."

I have not had huge success. I'm not sure but I think I may have been doing this for about 2 months and have had 7 lb weight loss. Bummer. But I march on.

One thing I should mention and you all may think this sounds crazy, but I don't want to do any "put myself into ketosis" or anything like I did in the past because I travel for work and I just know I can't maintain something like that. And if any of you have ever done the full-on Atkins thing, you know that when you "cheat," you 1) feel terrible and 2) pile on the pounds.

I guess this time I'm in it for slow and steady. If I cheat and eat bread, I cheat. I will have a slice or two of pizza with my hubby every now and then. But then I get right back off of the wheat/rice/potato/sugar because I really don't feel deprived most of the time.
  #102   ^
Old Thu, May-14-15, 04:46

Maxime, I also have a hard time sticking to low carb. In my case, I NEED to do it because of my diabetes. If I eat carbs, my blood sugar spikes off the charts and that is life-threatening. I know I could lose my eyesight or my toes, kidney function. This is why I get really angry with myself when I eat carbs. I don't know why I can't just grow up and be an adult about it. It's not like I'm a child and don't know better. I do not eat sweets. They just don't interest me and I will eat a bite of something my husband has, occasionally, but can easily pass it up. I have also pretty much given up pizza and althought I used to love it, it doesn't draw me like it used too. If DH gets pizza, I like to scrape the cheese and toppings into a bowl of lettuce and have a pizza salad. It's good. Bread and pasta are my biggest downfalls. I love eating a sandwich and this is where I stray. I have pasta maybe once a month, and I try to take a small portion and then load up on salad and meatballs.

Years ago, when Atkins came out, I had already lost weight eating everything, but in small portions. After that, I used a form of Atkins to maintain for 10 years. I was still keeping my calories low, but when I did eat, it was mostly protein. The only carbs I was eating was things like fried breaded chicken. I lived alone and was able to keep the carbs out of the house so it wasn't a problem. Occasionally I would go to MCDonald's and get a small order of fries if I was craving. Once, then forgotten. This was all before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I let DH's eating habits become mine and ended up with 80 extra lbs, which brought with it heart disease and diabetes.

I also don't want to go into ketosis. I would like to be able to control my portions and eat a very small portion of starchy foods, the way I did the first time I lost weight. But when the panty and refrigerator are full, the food seems to call my name. I am constantly trying to strengthen my resolve.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, May-14-15, 14:50

Plan: ?
Stats: 245/237/200 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 18%

I posted yesterday but I don't see my post now. I think what I am doing is considered semi-low carb.

I am not eating flour, sugar, rice, or potatoes. I am trying to be good 90% of the time. I may eat a slice of pizza or a baked potato on the weekend for one meal with my hubby.

I eat an occasional apple or serving or strawberries (never more than one per day and usually only do this once or twice per week). I use sugar free syrup made with splenda in my coffee along with half and half. I haven't been measuring my veggies (no starchy ones) or my cheeses or fats.

Question for everyone with all of these posts, though - when you all are talking about under 70 or 100 carbs a day, is that doing the "net carb" count or full carb count?

I haven't been counting and maybe that's my problem. I think really I have been doing close to the Wheat Belly diet without having read the book or much about it until someone pointed it out to me yesterday in one of these posts.
  #104   ^
Old Thu, May-14-15, 15:44

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I keep it under 55 and that is "net carbs". Counting only real foods. No sugar alcohols or gums or other refined carbs.

I also need to keep the protein down to lose fat weekly. So I count protein grams, less than 65 protein grams per day. Otherwise I could eat 8+ ounces of meat at every meal (and have on plans that allow that, sheesh! that's like 150 protein grams a day, no problem, except then I don't lose ha ha)
  #105   ^
Old Fri, May-15-15, 05:04

There are some people who can eat unlimited protein and still lose. I used to be able to do that, but not anymore. I don't measure veggies because I feel that veggies have so much nutrition and very little calories so you can't eat too many. Then there are some who hardly eat any veggies because they are carbs, even though the fiber is so necessary. I try to use an online tracker to see what my macros are but I do it for a couple days then stop. I'm not too good at this, and I guess that's why I'm not losing weight.

Most of the time, I just look at the total carb count and don't subtract out the fiber. I don't actually know how many grams of carb I have had lately.

I am definitely semi-low carb.