Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 20:43
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I'm a believer. I tweaked the recipe a bit and used a mixture of carbolose, almond flour, and PolyD. Plus, I didn't make a bottom crust, just had the top. I ate half for dessert this evening and I'm going to eat the other half for breakfast. I made a 2 serving size thank goodness. That stuff is lethal!! I wish I had some spray whipped cream in the frige

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 22:28
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Well the other half didn't last an hour--oh well
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 22:51

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Oh my! I made this yesterday and it's FANTASTIC!

Actually, this is my very first recipe using Carbquik.........I, too, had heard about it being too "salty"-tasting, so I used UNsalted butter. Of course, since I've never had anything made with Carbquik before, I'm not sure if it made a difference or not!

I imagine that with a little tweaking, this would make a GREAT "Mock 'Apple' Pie"!

Thanks so much for posting this, tripletmom!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 10:35
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I just made the applesauce part of the recipe, and boy, was it good! It really did taste like apples!

Val
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 11:56
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

I agree that carbquik can taste a bit flat/salty. I thought it was just me

I just had a thought!

How about blow off the carbquik all together, and put the zucchini mixture over CarbSmart Vanilla ice cream, with a drizzle of caramel flavored Davinci syrup?!?
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 11:59

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

<drooling>

'Nuf said!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 12:30
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I found it too bready for me. so the second time, I cut that part in half and doubled the filling (It fooled my son who loved the granny smiths)
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 17:56
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I bought the zucchini for this. then got too tired to peel and chop it.

Instead I used frozen berries from the freezer and made a berry cobbler using the crust recipie. Higher carb I know. It came out ok. I still tasted the carbquick in it though. Went great warm with some vanilla icecream (carb down or something)
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-06, 12:56

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

kevinpa, carbquik seems to carry either a salty, sour, or both taste for many people. i don't usually taste it myself. the only time i've gotten the salty effect is when i used salted butter in a scone recipe that clearly called for unsalted. i love carbquik.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 13:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/110/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I couldn't believe how much the zucchini tasted like tart apples! I would have never thought of this. Great idea.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 220/154/140 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 83%

My Nanny made zucchini pie all the time when I was younger, and I always liked it better than apple. How silly of me to forget about that now that I am low carbing it. I think the zucchini would make a nice topping for a cheesecake.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 09:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

oh i am going to have to try this and put the mixture over low carb ice cream. yummy. sue
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 13:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/263.5/125
BF:
Progress: -3%
Default omg this is just way too good

at first i thought yuck, zuchini? but a few days later i found myself buying some at the grocery store. I dont have carbquick, so i didnt make a crust,but i made a crumb topping made from Almond meal, butter, sweetner and cinn. and nutmeg

first off lemme just say that it smell, tastes and looks just like granny smith apples. i also added three blackberries,(halved) to the mix, right before baking.

yum.

thank u for this great recipe. i will be making quite often.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Oct-01-06, 17:02

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%
Cool gotta try

I never had zucchini before but I do love apple pie, reading these reviews made me realize I gotta go out an buy a zucchini and give this a try. I'll probably try it with the ice cream, that sounds yummy. I'll definitely put this in my recipe book.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-06, 06:30
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I have to admit I was hopeful, but doubtful, about this recipe. I recalled how in the 'old days' of low carb people waxed on about pork rinds as ingredients in all kinds of things, gag me with a spoon as we used to say in my California high school. ;-)

But my husband's fave is apple pie and I just mandated our whole house go low carb to support me -- except bread, fruit and his ice cream Klondikes ;-) -- so I thought my first dessert experiment should be this one.

I doubled the filling part of the recipe.
Since some people have commented about some sense of salt with carbquick I made a point to use unsalted butter with it.

I got zucchini and peeled it, cut it in half, then realized it didn't really have seeds, only seed-buds, they were all very small. So I just sliced/chopped it up, about the thickness that we'd have them in a salad, tossed 'em in the pan, used RealLemon with some water and let 'em cook. I cooked 'em longer than 10 minutes as I was waiting for them to seem properly 'soft'.

Then I mixed in the stuff like sugars and instead of using the cinnamon and nutmeg I used the same total amount of "apple pie spice" (which has those but also a little bit of allspice in the mix).

I made a mixture of 4 Tbsp granular splenda, 8 Tbsp Erythritol, 3 Tbsp Diabetisweet (which is Isomalt and Acesulfame-K) and 3 Pkts Splenda and put them in a lock&lock sealed container and flipped/shook it around till I felt they were well blended. Then I used half of that for the filling and half for the crust.

I have to say the blend of sweeteners came out well and didn't taste as "thin" as things often do when I have just used splenda/sweetzfree. I think I will actually mix up this blend again and keep it in a container so when I need any sweetener I can just use from that blend.

OK, then in making the crust, I was spending forever with a spoon trying to get it to the 'crumbled' size. My husband used his hands but then he made it into a dough! So then he added yet more carbquick, I worried it would taste terrible, but it didn't (though we overcooked it slightly).

I let the filling sit for way too long on the stove while I made the crust. I should have had the crust down and ready to go. The zucchini got softer during that time and was a bit more mush-with-zucchini-pieces as a result.

We put the 'crust' in ramekins. He made 'sides' on it so it only filled three large ramikens plus the tops (covered them ok). We had extra filling so we saved it.

Me, DH and the 10 year old DD agree: it tastes so much like apple pie that we couldn't really tell the diff. Maybe if we had the two next to each other to try, we could tell some difference, but on its own, if someone had served that to me, the ramekin with a lot of filling and a little crust all around, if they had not told me it was not apples, I would not have known.

For that matter, if they hadn't told me it was low carb, I would not have known!

This is a great recipe.