Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-10, 22:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Paleo Mix
Stats: 240/204/160 Female 5 Ft  7 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Colostrum

I found this as a rather interesting article about the possible help Colostrum can give me for my fibromyalgia. I already take it because its great for its bodybuilding effects too. Combining it with Bromelain has helped reduce a ton of my symptoms.

Fibromyalgia and Colostrum

Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 09:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/195/175 Female 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

I thought that was an interesting article to read kiznick. I live on a dairy farm and we drink raw milk. We have used colostrum in a variety of beneficial ways over the years. Of course we give it to newborn calves and the difference between a calf that gets colostrum and one who doesnt in amazing- can even be the difference in living or dying in fact.

I have also used colostrum in "medicinal" ways if a cow is sick and has no visible symptoms as to why I will give her colostrum to help re establish a healthy stomach.

Most recently I had some older calves get hold of a poison plant in the field. The first one I gave IV fluids and activated charcoal, sadly she died anyway.

Then I decided to add colostrum to the treatment. Those two are still alive. So did they eat less of the poison plant or did the colostrum help? I dont know but I find it intriguing.

To bring it to a human level, I had read of men who have prostate cancer that are drinking colostrum and/or breast milk and it appears to be helping their immune systems.

Also, womens skin care products - slap that word colostrum on there and people will pay big $$ for it.

Interesting, no?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Paleo Mix
Stats: 240/204/160 Female 5 Ft  7 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I agree, its incredibly interesting.... so far I'm coming to be a big believer in it. I take a supplement with bovine premilk colostrum, Beta 1,3/1,6 Glucans from baker's yeast extract and Lactoferrin from milk....its not even a large amount a lil under 200mg, but I'm still seeing results. I also take it whenever I know im about to get sick or go on an airplane...and it keeps things from getting out of hand. When I combine it with Bromelain and also Tumeric (which are also useful as they act as anti inflammatory) alot of my symptoms like the aches and pains go down if not go away. The constantly getting sick for me has stopped too. It used to be if someone sneezed on me I got sick. That doesn't happen anymore.

I was just curious if anyone else had noticed it in themselves or know of someone who has taken it with any results?

I've heard of it being said that often times colostrum will be the deciding factor in whether or not a baby calf makes it or not. Interesting indeed.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-10, 13:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

When I first moved to California there was a TV commercial advertizing colostrum, in pill form, that was supposed to work wonders. I am considering purchasing some raw colostrum. I prefer to consume food, in food form now.