Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-07, 12:16
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

First official exercise since Sept 22nd!

I went for a run at lunch, 5k, 31:30 minutes. That's a pretty decent time for that long off and a lingering, hacking cough hanging on.

I feel pretty good actually. Exercise really does make me feel better, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-07, 01:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/260/220 Male 72
BF:50%/22%/18%
Progress: 69%

I think your right , its probably the people ... I usaully run by myself. When I run with my friend however, I tend to run a faster pace not sure if its just easier to take my mind off things or just being competitive. I had the same problem with lifting weights as you, I basically did like Leadog said just change it up every few weeks.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 20:59

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Hi Val!

I would definitely suggest this: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1499282.

It's actually the one I am loosely following now. I think it would be good for a couple of reasons. First, it's not incredibly time-consuming, which is nice. Also, CT says the main point of lifting while dieting is to maintain muscle, not necessarily increase it. It also uses a couple different energy systems (weights, cardio, alactic, circuits).

I think there's a lot of opinions either way about working your legs when you're doing a lot of cardio. One good thing about this plan in particular is that it emphasizes your hamstrings. I would think that this would be a good thing as a runner. It would make your legs more balanced (people tend to be quads-dominant).

I'm thinking that you could even replace the alactic workout with a shorter, more intense run. The circuits are great, but he does say they are "cardio with weights." You could probably replace at least one of those with a longer run.

Let me know if you decide to try it out.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 09:23
Bouncy!

Thanks for the idea, Alisa. And for tracking down my gym journal! It's been a while since I used it. Maybe I will track what I'm doing here.

I definitely like that legs are only done once a week. I think that's probably good for me. And I like the big compound movements and that there isn't too much of them.

I know I'm bastardizing some, but I hope I'll catch most of the benefits of his system if I do his weights, my running for the cardio, call my Saturday fitness class & throw in one more DVD workout a week for the circuit stuff. For the alactic, this is the first I've heard of it, but it basically sounds like HIIT. I like HIIT and I find it does help improve my running, so I could switch out my speed work run once a week for a HIIT type thing on the treadmill.

I like that there is a bunch of different stuff in there.

Thanks, Alisa!

So, let's plan this out a little:

M - circuit - DVD & easy run
T - lifting - legs
W - steady run
R - day off
F - HIIT & lifting - chest & back
S - circuit - fitness class
Su - long run

Hey, I think I got it all in there, in the right order, no overlap of no-no's for combining the workouts, no running two days in a row (except the easy run Monday) which is a requirement of mine to work around my knee problem.

And that means that they run I was planning on the treadmill at lunch is actually a HIIT workout on the treadmill today. Cool, I like running fast on the treadmill! I'll do chest & back at home tonight. Perfect.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 13:13
Bouncy!

I did this today:

5 min warmup - 5.2mph
8 intervals of 30/90 at 7.1, 7.3, 7.5, 7.8, 8.0, 8.5, 8.8 & 9.0 mph with 5.2-5.4 during the rest
2-3 min cooldown - 5.2-6.0 mph

It actually wasn't bad once I got started. 9.0mph is pretty freakin' fast for me, I was just barely keeping up with the treadmill. But as I look at some old records, I was doing 9.0 mph intervals last March, so it's not that fast. I'll try to hit a 10.0 mph next week.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 23:44

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

You're welcome, Val!

I don't think you really bastardized it at all. Actually, you're doing the alactic workouts the right way, with sprints.

Anyway, I'm betting if you worked directly with CT he'd change things up to suit your goals as a runner. The plan is mainly for someone who's just interested in working out for fat loss. If you don't mind T-Nation (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) there is a support thread there. Sometimes, CT himself will pop in to answer questions. Did you know he's French-Canadian? They call him the "Canadian Vin Diesel" for good reason.

I actually looked at his pricing for individual coaching, and it was way out of my price league, but I'm sure well worth it.

9 MPH would be flying-into-the-wall-behind-me territory, so I'm really impressed! I know you're capable of doing 10, though.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-08, 18:29
Bouncy!

Thanks, Alisa!

I did my chest & back yesterday night, too. I know strength isn't supposed to be right after the alactic workout, but with my schedule, I figured it would be okay doing an upperbody strength then.

I did the chest & back workout last night, at home. I think I'll do the chest & back at the gym from now on. I need either the cable machine or the assisted pulldown machine to do my back as well as I like. I did a modified pullup yesterday using my doorway chinup bar and balancing my feet on a stool out in front of me, but it wasn't very steady or satisfying as an exercise.

A1) BB Bench Press - 2 x 6 ~ 50lbs, 3 x 6 ~ 55lbs
A2) DB Chest Flys - 5 x 8 ~ 2 x 15lbs
B2) Modified Pullups - 5 x 5
B2) DB Bent over Row - 5 x 5 ~ 2 x 20 lbs

Those weights can come up next time. I was keeping them low to make sure I wasn't overdoing it.

I'm stiff today, but in my lower body mostly, I'm assuming from the DVD workout I did Thursday. I didn't expect it, but there you go. My core class for today was cancelled when I got there, scheduling conflict at the class location, just as well, I needed a day off with for the stiffness.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-08, 22:02
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Happy New Year, Val!
May the year bring you untold blessings for you and yours!
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 16:23
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Are you not working out anymore Valerie? Or just not posting here? I was looking for any gym logs from people I know, now that I finally made one, but not finding many!