Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 11:10
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymom
I Just GAVE AWAY my TEMPURPEDIC mattress to charity. If you have fibro DO NOT EVER NEVER NO WAY DON"T HINK AABOUT IT>.ever buy one of these. I had read far too many reports of fibros and arthritis sufferers getting worse after buying one of these nightmares. I sucked it up, went shopping for a long time and finally found a really good serta pillow top on sale and the nice salesman after hearing my tale of woe knocked price down even further, eliminated delivery charge and told the delivery guys they were to assembly my new bed frame and reattach the headboard for me. That was three weeks ago and my sleep has improved amazingly!

Mollymom, I'm so glad to hear that your sleep has improved!! Also, that you found a mattress that helps you.

The reason that I didn't buy the Temurpedic or any other foam type is that the EPA calls that material a 'sink' when testing for the presence of toxic chemicals in a building or home. That material has an affinity for specific types of synthetic chemicals and many toxic chemicals can be tested for and found in foam, long after the chemical is out of the air. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, I know that chemicals like pesticides and perfumes make me feel sicker (more pain, achiness, headaches, etc) so I avoid them and don't want to sleep on something that's holding onto that.

That was really nice of the salesperson to be so kind thanks for sharing that.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-07, 07:10

Plan: none
Stats: 265/237/180 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress:
Default I went

I went to the drug store to ask the pharmacy what to take. They said that most sleeping pills over the counter are just Benedryl. So take Benedryl it will be cheaper.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 21:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I take 5-http. It helps the body produce its own seratonin, which helps with depression and FMS in general, plus seratonin breaks down into melatonin.

I also take additional melatonin as needed.

The last time I took Benadryl(actually a generic version), I took one pill (half an adult dose) and it left me groggy the next morning. It used to work well for me at normal doses, but I guess my body chemistry has changed.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 12:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't take name brand benadryl, I just refer to it by the name brand because it is easier to type and remember than the generic name!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%

The doctor I seen prescribed amiltryptolene (sp?) which I didn't care for AT ALL! Lately even being exhausted I may fall asleep for a bit- then wake up and can't get back to sleep.I am blessed though, to be able to go into dreams within 5 minutes of falling asleep... don't know how- just know it happens.Perhaps they are visions and not dreams!

I know I have sleep apnea- but to be "officially" diagnosed means going into one of those sleep clinics and sleeping in front of who knows who-a friend who has it and uses one of those machines keeps urging me to go- I just don't know... he says the change is incredible though.
I know how it feels though- arthritis and fibro- a really sucky combo!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 20:49

Plan: whey protein
Stats: 135/110/110 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

tempurpedic is not good? That's a surprise! Now that I think about it though, Lindsay Wagner looks so ill in that commercial (like she has CFIDS herself), that I always paused a little. She even looked a little ill in her first movie many years ago - sort of a stare in her eyes and no energy.

I have a futon on top of box springs, gets pretty lumpy. I'm inspired by the Japanese as healthy agile people (in 3rd grade in Honolulu I attended a Japanese school while my family waited for Navy Base housing), so a lot of my furnishings are Japanese. I've never thought it was about the bed though - more about totally relaxing the body. In the Japanese school we took a nap after lunch, on pallets on the floor. I was always stiff even in a soft bed, but the Japanese children were happy as clams napping on those pallets. I slept about as well on the pallet as in my bed at home.

My sleep is really poor - waking because of pain. I've tried melatonin (too strong), OTC meds (too strong) and 2 aspirin or a percodan (better than nothing). Since I currently am slowly recovering from the usual winter virus (fever and chills - severe muscle pains), I got pretty desperate for a pain med. I have taken St. John's Wort for the past three days (amazing I'd never tried it before in all these years), and the first night I slept well, and am taking a 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon. Wake up feeling relaxed - much better than 2 aspirin can do. Then I get tired later again - still a little fever with the virus. No residual feeling in the morning like stronger pain meds.

I have noticed occasional sleep apnea myself over the years - waking up catching my breath - so I'm very leery of any sleep meds that seem even a little too strong.

Last edited by csusie : Thu, Jan-10-08 at 21:01.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 19:33

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

you know, i swear by Melatonin. Its natural and it works...most of your suggestions are chemicals...i dont take 3mg i cut them in halves and its perfect..you dont wake up lost..and if anything happens in the house while your sleeping you will still hear it..it just doesnt knock you out and yet your sleeping..well just go to the pages below and read up...

http://www.priory.com/mel.htm

http://www.bchealthguide.org/kbase/...193915/sec1.htm

http://familydoctor.org/online/famd...ticles/258.html
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 18:07

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I have Fibromyalgia, I wake up several times all night long, in pain, I have been on Morphine Er 15mg for this. I can't ever get comfortable, my leggs are moving all the time. My husband sleeps on the couch 1/2 the night because he say I can't lay still. I am always feeling sluggish, and I think I look tired. Does this Hell ever stop?
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 18:27

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

csusie- what dose of melatonin did you try that was too strong for you? I get 500 mcg (half a miligram) tablets at trader joe's.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 17:28
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie06
No, I've not had any testing since my doctor diagnosed the sleep disorder as being one specific to fibromyalgia, which has the characteristic of having difficulty entering and maintaining the REM stage properly.

Right now, I'm doing the Benadryl. It works well most nights. I'm also going to start exercising so that I am more physically tired at night.

You may want to get a sleep study to test for Alpha Wave Intrusion, which is related to FMS. Nothing fixed my sleep cycle until I was put on Xyrem.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-10, 21:46

Plan: i don't know yet
Stats: 227/220/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default My Unorthodox Sleep Aide

I have diagnosed Fibromyalgia and its related sleep disorder but I don't go the way of taking your normal sleep aids. I did for years with no good results.

When I was a child I was hyper-active and used to get coffee with milk and sugar to calm me down as I was born pre Ritalin.

I have found that if I have a cup of regular coffee caffeine and all or a mug of hot or cold Chocolate Ovaltine, I don't need to take any sleeping medication.

I am not saying that this is a wide spread treatment, but it works for me, so ask your doctor about trying it if you think I‘m crazy.

I would suggest that you NOT try this on a night before a work day or an important appointment, but if you are as tired of having to take pills without a getting a good outcome as I am, it is at least worth one potentially sleepless night and you may be surprised and enjoy the more restful sleep that I have found since resuming my childhood ritual. (I had terrible nights with full body spasms and cramping of arms, legs and feet in the past, so any restorative sleep is a miracle for me.)

Remember I have a different way of physically processing things. Both of my sisters cannot have caffeine or chocolate after 3 or 4 pm and get any sleep. It just seems to me a simple old fashioned non-medicinal method that actually does work for someone with diagnosed Fibromyalgia might be worth feeling silly and giving it a try.

Best wishes,

Lizz
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-10, 16:10

Plan: my own
Stats: 215/170.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 64%

I take Knock-Out too. Within 1/2 hour, i'm falling asleep. So now my problem is not falling asleep, but staying asleep. I normally wake up 3 to 3:30, and usually can't go back to sleep. But I do hit the hay no later than 9PM, so that's still 6-ish hours of sleep.

So, try Knock-Out (I also take St. John's Wort). It's the stinky valerian root in it that does the job. And holy cow, does it STINK. I hold my breath before it even gets near my mouth. But it works - just as well as my Ambien (which I don't need to take now).
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 14:33

Plan: will follow LC
Stats: 305/305/155 Female 5' 5"
BF:unhealthy
Progress: 0%

Interesting-before my chiropractor told me I didn't have fibro-then yesterday he said I have many if not all of the same pressure points and I have a subluxation pattern that mimics fibro... and I know I have many of the symptoms of it.

I didn't know about the tempurpedic, boy I wish I did. Two years ago we bought a store brand that mimics tempurpedic, and probably has a lot more chemicals in it. We don't really have the money to get a/nother new mattress... ugh! I am in pain every time I wake up.

But to answer the original question - I take magnesium (tri-mag), inositol, cal-mag-z, and something called "formula 303" which has valerian root, passion flower, and (more) magnesium). Sometimes I'll also put a little lavender on my pillow. I always run a fan, too, for the white noise effect. These things seem to help. As long as I'm not super stressed, I'm able to get to sleep much quicker than I used to. I may wake up once or twice to use the bathroom, but am usually able to get back to sleep. I have RLS too.