Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 16:57

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Benefits of Glutamine

I just found a link to this article at the Yahoo Schwarzbein group. It was very interesting and way too long to post here. So here's the link:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag99/sep99-report3.html

And the summarizing paragraph:

Quote:
There are many reasons for taking glutamine: healthier intestines, a stronger immune system, bigger muscles, better blood sugar control and a more agile brain. For therapeutic uses, glutamine is especially recommended for people who suffer from intestinal problems, frequent NSAID users who need to protect their gastrointestinal tract, those with immune dysfunction, and anyone under heavy stress (including strenuous exercise) or recovering from injury or other trauma. It may also be helpful as adjunct therapy in the treatment of addictions such as alcoholism.
The article discusses all the actions and benefits of glutamine, many more than just muscle building/recovery. It also cautions diabetics and some others not to use it or only under medical supervision.

;-Deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 17:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yep, it's a wonder amino acid. The Eades address the use of glutamine in Protein Power Lifeplan, which is where I first read about it, to help people suffering from IBS and Crohn's disease. It wasn't until I started learning more about weight lifting that it truly became a supplement in our household. Worth it's weight in gold.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 17:33

BF:

After reading the article, I realized that I should have taken a large dose before I went on my hike. It sounds like it might have helped me with the fatigue I felt. And I do think that the extra doses I took the 2 days after my hike helped me recover faster.

It's now a must have in my supplement shelf.

;-Deb
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 18:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Smile

What a treasure trove of info, Deb, thank you!

I was taking glutamine to control sweet cravings (it really, really helped!) but haven't taken any for a while as I figured I no longer needed it.
Hmm.

I can see that it's going to be one of my staples (again). I had stopped taking ibuprofen (for my back pain, as well as OA) because my tummy just wasn't coping, maybe with the help of some glutamine, all will be well.

And next time my IBS plays up, guess what I'll be treating it with. Then again, if I take enough glutamine regularly, Mr IBS should be a former problem!

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 18:30

BF:

One thing I found very interesting in the article was the dosages. The bottle I have contains 600mg capsules and recommends up to 3 a day. The article seems to indicate higher doeses. I am thinking I will stick with the 4 a day that I just decided to increase to.

Does anyone out there know what is a good amount to supplement glutamine with for a generally healthy person?

;-Deb
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 20:16

BF:

I supplement daily with between 15-20g, mainly to preserve muscle mass and to deal with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Doses as high as 40g daily have shown no side effects. You can get more information on dosage and uses of Glutamine from Supplement watch.com. I should point out that since I started supplementing with it I have noticed a markable decrease in both cravings or even a desire for anything sweet and in the number of colds/flus I had this year.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 20:56

BF:
Default One more question, Natrushka

My bottle says that it is L-Glutamine. Is that different or the same as glutamine?

;-Deb
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 09:45

BF:

It's the same thing, Deb the "L" in front of any amino acid means that it is naturally occuring. The body can use only amino acids that have the structure that bends light to the left (levo). These amino acids are designated by the letter "L" preceding their names (this distinguishes them from the D or " " synthetic amino acids.)

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 10:23

BF:
Default One more question

Thanks, Natrushka, I have one more question: You are taking so much and with my pills at 600mg, I would have to tak about 25 of them a day to match your dosage. Where do you find larger doses and how much does it cost? Am I doing myself any good taking just 2.4 grams a day? I'm not exercising as much as you, but even when I took it after my hike I was only taking 4.8 grams a day.

;-Deb
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 10:35

BF:

I use the powdered from, Deb. You can buy it these days at your local Wal-mart or Sams/Costco. I pick up about a lb of it for 50$ at GNC - it lasts me 7 or 8 months. 1 tspn is 5g and I mix it with my protein shakes, or in some water or iced green tea. Adding it to protein shakes tops the amount off at 10g as most whey proteins contain 4.9g to start with (soy protein contains more - there's a thread in the General LC forum about Soy Vs. Whey you might be interested in reading).

2.4g will definitely do you some good - but for it to get past the GI tract and work to help with muscle sorness and recovery you do need more. In the meantime you're benefiting from it's other main uses.

Nat