Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 14:20
Registered Member

Plan: Type 2 Diabetes/Protein Power/Self-Designed Program
Stats: 240/180/140
BF:
Progress:

A year ago in January I picked up a book titled "The Type 2 Diabetes Diet" by Ezrin and Kowalski because so many people in my family have the disease. I read it and it made sense. Then I heard about a book called "Protein Power". Another good book. I put into practice the low carb way of life and lost twenty pounds rather quickly. Then I wandered from it because of lack of support and depression because of it. Then in February of this year I picked up the book while dusting and read it again. This time it made more sense and after further research I dove back into the low carb way of life. I do watch my fat intake, contrary to the Atkins recipe and use olice oil as much as possible for in cooking, skinless poultry and low fat beef. I have to add that in the year between quiting and starting up again, I didn't gain any of my weight back. I have lost forty pounds since February 3 and feel so good about everything. I no longer feel fatigue, depression, irritablitly, and I'm not water logged! I can even walk a half a mile and still breath unlike when I first began. It does work for those with IR. I tried to get my husband to follow me, but he likes his pasta, coke and McDonalds too much. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 15:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Kat, this is a very inspiring post!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Katryding
I tried to get my husband to follow me, but he likes his pasta, coke and McDonalds too much. Any suggestions?

The best thing to do is what you're doing right now, being an example to how this work. If he's one of the lucky ones who can eat anything and be healthy (super metabolism) then he won't need to change anything I guess, otherwise, he'll soon get jealous of you

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 17:16
Registered Member

Plan: Type 2 Diabetes/Protein Power/Self-Designed Program
Stats: 240/180/140
BF:
Progress:

I wish! He weighs 280, is 5'8", has high bp, can't sleep laying down for more than an hour at a time, can't walk but a few blocks without becoming winded, his ankles swell to the point of making it hard to pull his boots off, and he has a lot of head aches. He's a mess! His physician seemed to not be concerned over any of this and told him last summer to come back some time. Telling my husband that just made the some time a never thing. The same physician told me when I confronted him on his advice that I was worrying over nothing and sometimes the best medicine for someone was to have a heart attack to make them aware of their needs. He also asked if my husbands life insurance was up to date! What was that all about?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 17:40
Forum Founder

Sounds like a doctor from hell!?!

I perfectly understands how your husband isn't bothered, as long the doc says it's o.k. Men have have no sense of urgency towards their health, we'll always find an excuse or say it's just a temporary thing. Cases have been documented of men shrugging off heart attack symptoms till it's too late, just hoping it'll go away.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 17:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hi Kat,

I'm sitting here reading your post about your doctor, and I can't believe my eyes .. ... Hmmm, you might want to try a few things-
  1. Get a new doctor. This one is too cynical and uncaring about something as important as your own and your husband's health.
  2. Report this doctor to your State's medical board. His attitude is unprofessional at best, and constitutes negligence at worst. He is probably this way with other patients too, and needs to be corrected or stopped, his choice.
  3. Get your husband to read this letter from a member of this forum, who nearly died from his obesity and heart disease. Lowcarbing has saved his life. Click here to read it. For the record, the man is my brother. And let me tell you about some other men in my life, who never had the opportunity to learn about lowcarbing, and struggled to follow the lowFAT way. Those men were my father, and his three brothers. Their doctors either said nothing, or just pooh-pooh'd it, said to lose a few pounds and gave them pills. They all died in their late 50s, early 60s. There are plenty of other stories from folks on this board, and others around the web, from people whose health has been restored, and life is wonderful again from following a sound, nutritious lowcarb program.
  4. Remember that Dr. Atkins is a cardiologist by education and training. His whole "Diet Revolution" program was developed in the '70s to help his own heart patients, who weren't getting better with the standard treatments of the day.
I hope things work out for you and your husband, and good health to you both. Take care,

Doreen

#6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 07:10

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

Kat

Maybe you could tempt him into it by cooking up some of Karen's recipes to show him how yummy and easy it can be. The more i learn the more yummy it becomes. Just organise it on a weekend or something so that he gets a gourmet intro (even add in diet coke) and see how he feels about it.

My husband isnt overweight but he really enjoys the meals we have.

Nicola

Wa'il

I just figured out you're a bloke. Hence the desire for a flat chest - strange it never occurred to me .... sorry dear. My thin husband who has recently experienced 'middle aged spread' (his version, an increase of 8lbs) found it all went to his chest!! I keep telling him he'll need to get liposuction!! (I have to find some way of getting back at him for his incredible metabolism).

#7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 07:16
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by nrussell

Wa'il

I just figured out you're a bloke.

Who you calling bloke, you sheila! LOL, did I get the spelling eight? I forgot my Aussy dictionary.

Wa'il