Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 09:25

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 258/219/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default The Low Carb Must-Have Pantry

I've been recipe shopping and one thing that holds me back is the occasional odd ingredient. I am thinking of placing a stock-up order to diversify my pantry, but I have no idea on some of this stuff.

What kind of almond flour do you recommend? Is storage an issue, or does it have a long shelf-life? Are there other flours that perform as well?

Whey protein powder: what brand do you recommend? How do you use it?

Coconut oil: what is the best deal for this? I can pick up a 14 oz. (dusty) jar of organic, virgin, unrefined coconut oil for about $10 right off the shelf at my Meijer store. Is that pretty much the going rate everywhere? I'd really like to use more coconut oil to cook with but that seems awfully expensive. I assume the refined stuff in the larger tubs doesn't have the same health benefits - or is there an ongoing debate about that?

What other LC items do you not live without, and why?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 09:51

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I make my own almond 'flour' in my food processor. I don't use coconut oil (just doesn't agree with me...never has).

I DO order Davinci SF syrups (because I live in a half a horse town and the price is three to four dollars more a bottle). I order EZweetz (no carbs).

I really don't order in much more than that.

My pantry staples are: gluten free chicken and beef base, nuts, olive oil, 13 different types of Watkins flavorings (people sell these out of their homes, usually you can find them in the local phone book under Watkins though), pork rinds, guar gum.

That's about all (I guess I'm not a good 'consumer' of anything that's not found at the local grocers/whole foods stores).
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 09:58

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

My apartment does not have a pantry, but in the cabinet, we always have:

mayonaisse
mustard
sf catsup
sf relish

sf Torani syrups
unsweetened cocoa powder
coffee!!!! in at least 2 flavors- cinnamon bun and holiday peppermint at the moment
crystal lite
sf cider mix
flavor extracts- almond, pepppermint, orange, raspberry, etc....
vegetable stock
miso soup mix

a can of diced tomatoes (to make sauces)
jar of roasted bell peppers or artichoke hearts
several cans pumpkin
coconut milk

A variety of good olive oil and several vinegars (apple cider vinegar, pomegranite champagne vinegar, unsweetened rice vinegar, etc...)

a bottle of prepared dressing- usually ranch, blue cheese, or parmesean peppercorn for when I want something creamy

sf jello mix
whey powder
100 calorie packs of almonds
**I keep my almond flour (Bob's Red Mill) in the fridge, with the flaxmeal (also Bob's)

I use store brand whey and occasionally get coconut oil, but not reugularly enough to have a "brand."
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 13:43

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Honestly, the stuff like almond flour, protein powder, flax meal, etc is the stuff that usually ends up sitting in my pantry until I throw it away (minus one or two failed baking attempts). If you're using it to re-create a high-carb product, be prepared for disappointment and don't tie up too much cash or space on it at first. (Others may disagree and YMMV.)

Pantry items for me tend to be: nuts, natural peanut butter, tinned oily fish (sardines and oysters), some low-carb jarred sauces (pasta/curry/enchilada/etc).

I use the el-cheapo coconut oil, but I've read debates about the different kinds that I cannot currently remember.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 13:54
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

On the almond flour, any brand is fine -it's just ground almonds, so get whatever is the cheapest. As far as other flours that perform well, there are some - but different applications call for different things, and they aren't all used the same way or in the same quantity. It really depends on what you plan to do with it.

Instead of coconut oil, I use straight MCT oil. All "the good stuff" from the coconut oil, but not the coconut taste and stays liquid even when cold (like in my iced decaf coffee). Coconut flavor is ok in some things, but I much prefer the tasteless and non-solid MCT. I order mine from netrition.

I do like the lower sugar Heinz ketchup as a convenience food when I don't have the time to make my own. I try and make as much of my own food as I can - even things like protein bars. The less chemicals and stabilizers, the better in my book!

My sweetener of choice is Ideal. I always have that on hand. I also have a TON of different spices and seasoning blends (that I make on my own to avoid fillers like salt). I used to think I had a varied spice collection until I started low carb. Now it's taken up almost an entire cabinet with different bottles and vials of things.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 16:25

Plan: My own.
Stats: 206/194.4/155 Female 5'6"
BF:27.17%
Progress: 23%

whey isolate- whatever is unflavoured and no carbs.
cocoa
xylitol
sweetleaf stevia
crushed tomatoes
beef broth
unflavoured gelatin
cream of tartar
baking soda
unsweetened chocolate
lindt 85% dark chocolate
low carb 'bread crumbs' (home made)
assorted seasonings and flavourings

That's about it these days. Everything else is in the fridge or the freezer, and most of my cabinet space is dedicated to dishes and small appliances.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 18:02
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I store almond flour and coconut flour in my freezer.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 19:51

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
I store almond flour and coconut flour in my freezer.

Ditto. I stick the protein powder and ground flax in there, too. I buy those products from Bob's Red Mill because I like their quality. I use those ingredients most every day, so they are staples for me. They are cheaper in 3-4 pack cases from Amazon, so I stock up on the items I use most and freeze the extras.

Another staple for me is shredded coconut, coconut milk, and oil.

I really like erythritol /w sucralose as a sweeting 'team'. Liquid stevia for some things. I also have some daVincis and some extract flavorings.

Oh, I like having sugarfree jello in there, and I keep a few flavors stocked.

We also keep some almonds, crushed walnuts, sunflower seeds, and brazil nuts on hand.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 21:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/200/175 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Homemade products

I would love to make some of my own spices and sauces Could anyone help me with how to accomplish this.