Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Has anyone NOT lost on CAD/CALP?

I have been stuck and even gaining for quite some time now. It seems that nothing I do works and that I have no problem gaining but a huge problem losing any of it. I almost feel like my body is broken!

Before I start this woe, I just need to know if there are people who tried it and didn't lose anything. I tend to do really well following the rules once I decide to do it (I haven't had sugar in about 8 weeks now and still no loss!).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 10:46

Plan: Moderate Atkins
Stats: 335/277.6/235 Male 6' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I've been on for 12 day now and I'm lost 13 pounds...I started at 310 and I'm below 300....lol, a huge feat for me even though you have much less to lose....just stick to and and make sure your not eating to many carbs.....it really helps to write everything down...in the end you may find what you though you were doing right....we all miscalculate sometime...or maybe thats not it at all for you...

Anywho, best of luck to you and your new WOE!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 15:49

Plan: C. A. Healthy Heart Prog
Stats: 239/195.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Do you use artificial sweeteners, or drink diet pop? Those mess me up every time. If you do, try giving them up for a week, and see if that makes a difference. The first change I made was to drop the AS and creamer from my coffee. Felt MUCH better after just a couple of days. After a week, I had a cup of "doctored" coffee and it tasted too, too sweet .
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 18:05

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've not lost a pound in the last two weeks.

I also really don't see a lot of people who have lost on CAD on this forum, compared to regular low-carbers.

I think I'm going to switch back to a true LC diet.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-06, 07:37
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Chelles-
this is a 'true' LC diet. For me, it is not a diet but a WOL that corrects insulin resistance. Sorry it has not worked for you, but I think by any definition, I have been very successful. It looks like you have been on this forum for more than 4 years. I hope you find success- good luck in whatever you do.

Last edited by Enomarb : Sat, Aug-19-06 at 07:45.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-06, 08:15

Plan: C. A. Healthy Heart Prog
Stats: 239/195.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

What Eno said For me, this time it's about getting healthy and retraining myself for the rest of my life. I went into this figuring it would take me a year to get to my goal. I've stressed on every diet plan, gained and lost, and then beat myself up for not being able to stick to a really rigid diet plan. I don't feel that on this WOE. I've seen enough changes on the inside and the outside to make me happy. It may not be for everyone, but it works for me. Chelles-hope you find the plan that "clicks" for you!
Brenda
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 01:15

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%

I just want to say, CAD has worked for me twice, but two years in a row I've had kind of disastrous winters with my personal life, gone off plan, and regained a little. This is time #3 and so far it is working again. BUT, it's not exactly a quick weight loss, and it works much better for me if I am exercising at the same time. Otherwise I think the loss is even more slow, and I tend to get discouraged. Two weeks without a loss is frustrating, but it can happen, and sometimes it's just water. I will stay the exact same weight with no variation sometimes for a week or more, especially right before my period. But eventually, the water goes away.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 09:14
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

There are active users' within the forum who have lost quite well with CAD. I tried it for a few weeks before, but having the carbs at my RM just caused me terrible cravings. I found I did much better with Atkins and just shy of "carb abstinance."
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-17-06, 20:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302/242/180 Female 5'7" (170 cm)
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggerz
I tried it for a few weeks before, but having the carbs at my RM just caused me terrible cravings. I found I did much better with Atkins and just shy of "carb abstinance."

This is so funny, how people react differently to food.
My reaction is exactly the opposite. I've tried Atkins many, many times and I always get these cravings that get worse and worse until I just explode.
The longest I’ve managed on Atkins was 8 weeks . I’ve come to the conclusion that I just can’t do it no matter how much I want to!

Once I got a craving and fought it for 5 (yes FIVE) weeks (and yes, I tried substitutes) but it never went away and just got stronger and stronger until finally I just couldn't stand this nagging craving anymore and ended up binging. And then I have a terrible time starting the program again, unlike some who can just get right back on the next day.

I’ve also tried CAD a few times and it seems to be the only WOL that I can stick to (at least most of the time).

Now I’ve been on CAD for a while and it’s always the same story;
1. I feel good (even great sometimes!).

2. My cravings go down by about 95%. (Which is such an enormous relief!!!)

3. I get hungry, but it’s just stomach hunger and can easily be ignored (also I figure if you’re hungry, you’re burning fat).

4. I eat the RM & sometimes nothing else, sometimes 1 or 2 small meals during the day (Usually eggs or tuna salad w/little mayo). Try to get lots of protein, not too much sugar at RM.

5. Drink only water, except usually diet coke with RM. (No coffee, tea etc.)

6. I’ve been going to the gym for 10 months now (average 2x a week), first weight lifting (I really needed more muscle mass) and now I’ve started cardio (20-30 mins).

All these reasons tell me this is a program for me. I can stick to it, I feel good, no cravings etc. etc…

There’s only one big flaw. I don’t loose any weight!

This is very frustrating since I still have quite a lot to loose. But this is the only program I can stick to!!! What do I do? I’m kinda at a loss.

I would love to be able to be on Atkins and think that I might be able to do maintenance with the nuts & berries (LOVE both), some fruit, even some dark breads or crackers and all that, but I can’t get through the other phases.

Sorry to ramble on so much, this post wasn't supposed to be this long. Guess I just needed to went.
Anyways I'm not quitting this anytime soon coz I feel so much better on CAD than "a normal diet" (which causes all the cravings!!!). It's just frustrating not to loose any weight .
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-06, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CALP/IF
Stats: 219/141/139 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I lost about a pound a week on Atkins until I got to 50. Then I stalled BIG TIME! I tried tweaking all kinds of ways and would just go up and down the same 5 pounds. Eventually (over a period of a year), the scales crept up about 17 pounds and I was desperate to do something. CALP got me back down to the same weight I've been staying at for years, but again I'm stuck. I can't seem to get under 170 no matter what I do. Stinks!

BUT, I know that low-carb (whichever plan) is important to follow for my overall health. I'm determined to not grow old AND sick! So, I keep plugging away.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-06, 22:07

Plan: Control Carb-own program
Stats: 188/163/125 Female 5ft  3.5 inches
BF:?
Progress: 40%

Well I just started yesterday so I don't know how I will do. I can probably answer you in a few months. Judy
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 18:16

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I lost almost 74 lbs on calp in 3 years, but slowed a lot in the second year and just this year, regained almost 10. Since I was still far from goal, that is not okay.

I do know what I've done, and it isn't that CALP wasn't working, it was how I was following calp.

When I exercise, the effect on my blood sugars is immediate and fairly dramatic, and if I watch portions - really "feel" when my tummy is full, eat only for hunger and not for comfort or entertainment, eat enough fiber, drink enough water (I must have been a camel in a previous life, such a bad habit of drinking almost NO fluids in a day), then I feel well, and if not losing quickly, do reshape, and can get into smaller clothes. I do think it's how my clothes fit, the size I wear, the per centage of muscle to fat that means more to me than what "weight" I am.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-06, 23:24

Plan: sugar bad, gluten worse
Stats: 230/191/160 Female 65 inches
BF:too/too/much
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhite
There’s only one big flaw. I don’t loose any weight!

have you lost inches? either with the tape mesure or with looser clothing?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 17:15

Plan: NONE
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Hello All!

Just thought I'd add a couple cents worth! I have pretty much stalled out since January. Maybe gain then lose the same 2 pounds over and over again, but cannot seem to do what I once did at the beginning of CAD when every day was another victory and the scale was my best friend!

So there are times I think perhaps I should count calories again, go back to diet pop once again, or maybe give up all desserts...and then I wake up and say to myself, "Come on! CAD is the only thing that has EVER worked! I shall wait this out! If nothing else, I feel good and know that I am doing something to better my life." I still feel better on the inside. I still have "CONTROL" of my eating and that is a miracle!

Hope this helped somebody...
Snow
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-06, 07:45
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Snow-
I think you have to look at the reality that you are down 50 lbs- more that 10% of your original body weight. Lots and lots of research shows that losing 10% has tremendous health benefits. How has your health improved?
Would you rather be back over 300 and having cravings, or where you are now and feeling good?
I don't know why some people lose and others don't after a point. I do think it is very individual. I bet it is hard to keep eating hoping to lose, and to stay the same. Maybe it would help to see this as maintaining- then everyday is a success!
I think of you, Pat, Pearl- and wish I had answers. But I am just a fellow traveler on this path.
Thinking of you-
E