Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1936   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 06:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi, fificat, see that is what i do i come on here and read the great posts and it gives me motivation to start this again. thanks for the words of encouragement and the reminder that whatever plan we choose to live with, we will not always be perfect on. i did stick with this all day yesterday. so i am going to try again today.

sorry you were feeling depressed last christmas, but you are right, coming on here and reading really helps.

have you reached your goal on cad?? looks like you are doing good. eno really inspires me, she makes me realize we can get to goal on cad. other people that i know that are on lowcarb plans seem to think this would be a good plan for maintenance instead of losing. but i want to prove to myself i can do this and to them.
Sponsored Links
  #1937   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 14:49
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Will- this is FOR YOU- you don't have to prove anything to anyone else. Posting is good- it can be a way of getting the help and support you need. It is okay just to tell us what is going on- and to ask for what you need.

Fifi- the reason the Hellers have the "Hour" rule is that they say there is a second release of insulin after 60-75 minutes. By not eating for more than 60 minutes you avoid that second insulin release. And CALP is all about the insulin. This is not without controversy- other scientists don't always agree about this. For me, I really keep to the hour most days. However, if I am out with friends at a restaurant I no longer stress about it. But I won't get dessert if it is more than an hour- so I usually don't . Once on a cruise I used to ask the waiter to please bring my dessert with the entree- and it was great. I am maintaining now, so I am a bit more flexible. This is a YMMV issue.
I will have a cup of coffee (black decaf) while others have dessert. I think the Hour RUle is a good guideline, but I am more relaxed now maybe 2-3 times a month.

Tonight: RM (planned) salad, salmon in pesto sauce, spinach, raspberries and yogurt.

stay cool!
  #1938   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 16:45

BF:

thank eno. well here is a common mistake i made when i tried cad in the past. i work at a deli, there are lots of lowcarb choices there, for my cm meal. but........ there are so many choices for the reward meal also. although i dont enjoy picking my rm at lunch at the deli, cause we dont have muchtime to eat , if we get to eat at all, i did it anyway. now, i dont know how i could think i can make my family dinner and not eat the carbs. i love my carbs and i would love to eat them as the last meal of the day. so today i blew it.

i thought maybe if i ate my rm at lunch since i dont have much time to eat and i eat in front of other people, i know i wont make my rm a carb binge for an hr. but i really need to wait and eat my carbs for dinner. lesson learned, not going to quit. i will try again tomorrow.

besides since i got the house at the shore, i need to start cooking and eating balanced meals there and i can eat with everyone, and if we go out i can eat with everyone also, even if i want to grab some boardwalk food and dessert, it all works out better down there if i just wait and eat my rm for dinner.

i know i can make this work if i learn to do that one thing. i do have more energy also when i just eat cm meals for breakfast and lunch. i think i do agree with you eno, i should never stop posting so if i have crazy thoughts of quitting and trying to count something again(ww or rs or calories) maybe someone can talk me off the "ledge". the support here is the best. i just cant stay away. i really want this to work, i feel such a difference in myself when i have one serving of veggies and protien and can stop. i dont get that over full feeling and tiredness.
  #1939   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 17:34

BF:

guys, i know what i just said in the above post, but i am still turning to food out of stress and no diet plan will help me with that, as much as i think it will. if only i could stick to this ,if only i could stick to that, i wont turn to food anymore out of emotions. it is in my head , i dont eat out of physical hunger.

boy i need to really learn to not eat out of stress. i didnt binge today but i did overeat. i acutally got full before a full blown binge came.

i have a little brother that got himself mixed in with the wrong crowd and had other problems as well, to much to get into but he has been away in a correctional facility for 10 yrs( his second time in) anyway it is really a long stressful situation that i have been dealing with for yrs. and of course is one of the reasons for some of my binges.

he is supposed to be getting out soon and they still dont know where they are gonna put him, he cant come back home. i am the only one that can accept his calls that are expensive. another long story. i told him not to call unless it was to say he was getting out, well he kinda said it was and it really wasnt so i got into a big fight with him , i feel bad for him , but i cant keep accepting his calls for everything. anyway that is why i ate. i wish i would have just went out for a walk. ok, instead of wishing, i just have to start doing it. i am so mad that i still feel i have to turn to food. i really was frustrated, i didnt even taste what i shoved in my mouth.

i cant diet! it just leads to bingeing for me. how many times do i have to be hit over the head before i realize it hurts!! man i do have a hard head though, i guess that is why i could take so many hits. i think this last one got through though. i am a binge compulsive eater that turns to food mostly when i am stressed or bored, i have to figure out how to deal with this, one day at a time. boy i feel better already having vented. geez, NO MORE DIETS!!! i know i am not supposed to think of this as a diet, but i do. see all in my head.

once i get myself together , i will post what is going on with me. i am trying to deal with my binge eating. i do appreciate your time. but it is just not getting through. i guess i am not ready yet.
  #1940   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 19:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

willbthin, I'm sorry you have so many problems right now....I hope things get better for you soon. I hope you eventually can tell yourself (and believe it) that food is not going to solve the problems. I do know how hard it is but be kind to yourself during these hard times. Don't expect perfection on your food plan but work on making progress! You can do it!

Today's RM was roast beef and carrots. I had a piece of toast with cheese melted on it, too. I'm full!

Still exercising indoors but we are planning a long bike ride this weekend!
  #1941   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 06:57
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Will-
sorry about your brother- that is a tough situation.
I know you work in a deli- that is a really difficult situation for anyone dong LC. Can you bring your carb home for your dinner RM so you won't feel deprived? Would it be okay with work if you took home whatever carb you wanted?
Glad you posted.
DH loved RM last night- he just added chocolate! I don't know what we are going to have tonight- it is sooo hot I just don't feel like cooking but don't want to eat out either.
Tomorrow we are having 2 couples for dinner- I have never met one of them- a work thing for DH. I am making diner- it will be grilled chicken breasts (marinated), grilled zucchini, cous cous, and salad. For dessert I'm making what I hope will be pretty and tasty- a slice of pineapple topped with coconut sorbet (from Trader Joes). DH also wants some kind of cookies- I'll just buy some. Too hot to bake.
stay cool-
  #1942   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-07, 13:33

BF:

thanks for the support guys. i do have to believe that food doesnt solve anything.

well if we take home the food we have to buy it, if we eat it there we eat free. but........ i know it would be worth the money and just take it home and eat it for rm dinner.

i just got back from the shore. i did pretty well with eating. but i did drink to much. gonna try again tomorrow. i have to stop telling myself that this is a diet. it has to be a way of eating for life.

both of your dinners sound great!!
  #1943   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 07:42
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

Happy Monday!
The chicken was great- and I made extra so it is CM lunch for a few days. Like today- with a salad.
Tonight I have some stir-fry cuts of beef and some chopped meat- I think I will make the steak bits with some zuccinni and salad and I would like raspberies for carb. I have strawberies too- but want to use up the others.
I will have the chopped meat as burgers tomorrow. Then- who knows? I am not planning that far- I have chicken and salmon in the freezer so I don't even have to shop.
E
  #1944   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 11:38

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%
Exclamation Once again and I couldn't be happier

After almost 4 years on plan (CALP), I teetered, tottered and then dove off. The only surprise became how hard it was to stop after a couple of days, weeks, months, and how fast I gained weight

I decided yesterday that if I waited until "after Labor Day" it had every chance of becoming after my wedding anniversary in early October, then Thanksgiving...you get the picture.

I must say I wanted to thwack my beloved dh. He bought me goodies (that "last day" thing) that I couldn't possibly eat in just one day (yah, I do have my limits..hah).

I decided so what, looked at carb counts (it just helps me to personally choose a certain level of complex carbs at my rm, my blood sugars seem to correlate somewhat with this as well as where those complex carbs are coming from), I can work this into my rm's. I'm starting!

I know some of the changes I will need to make this time around doing calp, and have found at least one of the answers I need (a low carb chef whose recipes I adore...I love to cook, always have, always will, I'm not quite a "foodie" but darn close).

I look forward to participating here again. A big part of my doing well has always been if I had a support group, so that is what I will be looking for (and giving in return) here.
  #1945   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 22:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Everyone! We had our long bike ride yesterday - 59.21 miles! We stopped on the way home at a roadside stand and bought some sweet corn. We had company coming for dinner so we thought fresh corn would be a great addition to the meal. It was!

Today's RM was leftovers from last night. Burgers and corn! Delicious again!

Today was a rest day due to TOM and feeling lousy all day. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'm going for a bike ride.
  #1946   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 06:58

BF:

hi guys, i am doing good. i am hoping through our fights we are understanding what can be changed, we are seeing what causes the fights and i am trying to change it. i started with not taking it out on myself by eating. i am not turning to food.

i think i am going to do calp, instead of the original cad. cause some days i just need a snack(non carb of course) i dont remember if i have the book, i have to check. but if i am right, calp is just being able to have small non carb snack and eating a heatlhy balanced dinner right??
i love hearing what you guys are eating , it gives me some ideas. wait another thought i had, maybe i can do cad/calp, cause there are days where i am not as hungry and i dont need a snack. yea, i think i will do that.

hey, i am not quitting that is a great big positive for me. i have a long weekend coming up, we are leaving for the shore thurs night. coming home monday. i am going to stay out of the fighting , not over eat, and just have fun. i am so tired of all the fighting. it is really on both sides of the family.

my grahms 90th birthday was yesterday and i helped up go upstairs , as she started crying, cause she barely made it up the stairs, running out of breath and feeling week. she said please enjoy your life and stop all the fighting. well, i am gonna listen to her. i am gonna succeed in getting healthy, so i dont have all the health problems my family has.

have a great day all.
  #1947   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 15:09
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

Hi PAT!!!!!
Sooooo glad to see you. Welcome back. Hi Will- great post. It sounds like your time with your family has helped you make some decisions. Sounds like an amazing ride, Linda. Awesome!
You can have a snack on CAD or CALP- as long as it is only CM food. CALP is much more about balancing the RM- riight Pat?

Well, I ended up inviting a friend (newly separated) fro a spour of the moment dinner last night. Stopped off at a gas station (I am not kidding) for a 6 pack for him and DH to share (still ahve 3 left) and came home. While he cut up the strawberries I made salad, bruschetta, burgers, steak tips, zucchini, and salad dressing! It was really good and fun. I did not have a beer- and did not have the leftover pasta I heated up too. The guys ate everything in sight! We have zucchinin left now- that's it. So I have to cook something else today- took some salmon out of the freexer. I will smear it with pesto and bake it- it will be good.
Pat- who is the LC chef? Have you seen Karen's recipes here? I have one of her cookbooks and made a great chicken breast recipe on Saturday night.
Have to go cook-
Later-
E
  #1948   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 16:03

BF:

i am sorta just making up my own lowcarb plan. i cant explain it, but it is working. it really isnt cad or atkins, just my own, i will see on weigh in day , tomorrow how it is going.
  #1949   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 00:24

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%
Smile

It feels so good to say I'm back on plan for 2 days now. I can't wait until it's been 2 months

Good to see you E!

The low carb chef whose recipes I plan to use (except those that use splenda, soy or almond flour) is George Stella. Many of his recipes fit into cms or delicous rm's that aren't too bad to balance. His Chili Turkey burger recipe is so good, that even while we were off plan, we were making them! What helps me besides the recipes, is just knowing he's lost as I recall, 250 lbs. to date, with a small amount left to go. So he's walking the walk.

I have seen some of Karen's recipes - in fact, I'm making the cauliflied rice for tomorrow's rm!

This time around, I am going to try to change my carbs at rm to more fresh fruits and raw nuts, and I plan to try coconut oil and flour and almond flour for some rm treats.

Having, as always, a hard time getting in enough water yet...have got to drink more!

As always, DH and I LOVE to cook...and just bought a weber smokey mountain cooker which is top rated for smokers under $400...we plan on smoking all kinds of meats - without sugars
  #1950   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 05:50
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

Sounds great- I LOVE smoked turkey! We had dinner at a friend's house and they smoked some whole chickens and they were superb. We got lucky and got an extra chicken to take home- it was great the next day too.
I loved George Stell'a show on TV- he and his whole family did LC and really changed their lives.
I have gone through all kinds of RM phases- cereal, yogurt, fruit, bread. For me, the sweets slowed down my loss when I was losing. Figuring out what works for you is key.
I actually had a strange thing on Saturday that I forgto to write about. For lunch I had tuna salad that someone else made- and by 3 o'clock I was not hungry- I was ravenous! It continued until I ate a salad with a big chunk of cheese. My usual trick of having something to drink first did not work. It was really unusual for me- I think there was somthing in the tuna that triggered me- it was strange.
Rigth now, with the heat, my favorite thing to drink when I come home from work is club soda- a BIG glass with ice and lime flavor (it is a product called True LIme- no sugar).I am putting a few cans of club soda in the fridge before I go to work.
No plans for RM tonight- I have 2 friends who may need me to make them dinner. One of my best friends broke her leg, and the other is having some personal setbacks. I will see what happens.
Closed Thread