Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 14:00

Plan: Sugar Busters to Atkins to CALP to The Stephanie Diet :)
Stats: 163/141.8/128 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Ketosis???!!!

This is weird ... I haven't used my ketostix since I switched from Atkins to CALP nearly three weeks ago. I got them out tonight, with the intention of throwing them away, and just out of idle curiousity I did a test. Apparently - according to the sticks, anyway - I am still in mild ketosis How is that possible? I had a big helping of potatoes and some chocolate during my RM today!

As far as I remember, the Hellers don't consider it desirable to be in ketosis on this woe. Does this mean I can eat lots more goodies during my RM to get my carb levels up? I'm guessing not But I would be interested to know how I can still be apparently in ketosis when I'm scoffing very adequate amounts of nice treats once a day

Last edited by newcarbgir : Fri, Sep-26-03 at 14:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 14:46

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 210/161/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

When I went to the doctor about a month ago.. I was also in ketosis. The doctor asked me if I had ate the day before, so I am guessing it was more than mild. He said it just meant I was losing weight, and I was at the time.

I would ask Zuleika to answer that question, but I noticed she didn't seemed alarmed when she read it in my journal.

Hope I didn't confuse you even more.

Take Care, Kandi
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 16:43

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

I have never done Adkins so I don't have ketostix at home but last time I had a urine test I was in moderate ketosis. Hellers don't really talk about it, but I guess it happens on CAD!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 16:54
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

It happens to some CAs on CAD better than it happened to them on Atkins. That's because instead of eating lc foods all day that raise a CA's insulin levels, CAD foos the insulin mechanism by eating carbs once a day for 60 minutes. It's as if those carbs don't exist. Result....Ketosis!!!! It's not detrimental!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 02:04

BF:

I gave up on Atkins because I didn't feel well on it. I felt nauseous a lot of the time, and desperately thirsty, despite drinking tons of water, and I was also having problems with an irregular heartbeat. I was assuming that all of that was down to being in ketosis, but I'm not having any problems on CALP so I guess the ketosis wasn't the culprit. Maybe 20 gms a day of carbs just wasn't enough to keep my body ticking over, and whatever I'm having now ... 50?60?70? makes it feel ok ... unless someone has a more scientific explanation for why I felt ill on Atkins but really well on CALP? It can't just be to do with having higher insulin levels, because my insulin levels must have been massively higher for years when I was eating "normally" than they were when I was on Atkins.

Last edited by newcarbgir : Sat, Sep-27-03 at 02:06.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 06:02
Finding the Pieces

BF:

CAs actually need a higher level of carbs to function well. It's just that insulin has to be controlled at the same time.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: C.A.L.P. and Bernstein
Stats: 204/176/-140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 8%

It is quite comforting to read your posts about being in Ketosis. When doing Bernstein and Atkins I was never in ketosis but since being on CALP I have been in deep, deep dark purple ketosis for most of the time. By glucose levels are better than they have been before and I feel great. I was wondering how I would get on at the doctors on Tuesday next if he discovered I was in ketosis (as a diabetic they really frown on that) - I think i will just "forget" to take a sample in with me. My doctor HATES low carb. Luckily last time he asked if I was on that "dreadful, awful Atkins" and I could truthfully say, "no". Didn't mention CAD or CALP though
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:28

BF:

Yes, Atkins is drawing all the flak in the UK, too. If I tell someone I'm on CALP they just look at me in bemusement, which suits me fine

Zuleikaa, thanks for all the information ... you are awesome. It's nice to know (at least some of the time) why my body behaves like it does
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 17:09
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
CAs actually need a higher level of carbs to function well. It's just that insulin has to be controlled at the same time.

May I ask what this statement is based on? I couldn't find reference to it in either book?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 06:17
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Potatofree
Throughout the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet book the Hellers mention that CAs derive pleasure from eating carbohydrates, in fact it's one of the symptoms. They also mention that you should never skip the Reward Meal. Also in many interviews and lectures when asked what happens when CAs skip the Reward Meal or why can't they skip it if they want to have better weight loss, the Hellers say that CAs will get irritable and feel weak without the Reward Meal and they might even find themselves bingeing. I infer from those things, and personal and observed experience, that CAs need a certain level of carbs to function well.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Sun, Sep-28-03 at 06:29.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 21:15
Fully Caffeinated

So, basically it's your interpretation of the book, not an actual statement of fact.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 03:47
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I would say yes, my interpretation, a further explanation by the Hellers, and the experiences of a lot of CADers. So I could call that clinical evidence, lol!!

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Mon, Sep-29-03 at 03:52.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

I was reading some more today, like going back through and picking up on things that I wanted to "digest" more from the cad book. Anyway, there is reference to this in its own way. It doesn't say "carb addicts need more carbs to function well" ...in that sentence. But here's one example of what it does say........

"The second strategy at your disposal is your Reward Meal. It constitutes a promise, one that you make to yourself and that can cash in on each and every day. "If I can make it through to my Reward Meal," the promise affirms, "I can eat anything I want. I don't have to wait for two wek or a month or until I reach my weight-loss goal before I can eat the foods that give me pleasure"
At your reward meal, you can eat what you want, in the quantities you want. You can eat then today, tomorrow, and every day after that. Any food you desire is never more than a day away.
With your addiction under control and your daily pleasure assured, you will find your battle is much more easier."

To me, and yes this is my interpretation, since when we read, that's what our brain does with the words, it says....eating what you want, if that's high carbs, is a vital key to winning this battle and I will function better because of it.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:13
Fully Caffeinated

But that still is a far cry from saying a carb addict NEEDS "X" amount of carbs. I'm not trying to be difficult, and I just started my second reading of the book since I'm thinking of switching plans. I've also read the Carb Addicts Healthy Heart Program, which has modifications of the first...trying to sort out the differences. That's why I'm being so picky about the wording, I'm just trying to get it all straight. It confuses me a bit when well-meaning people don't preface their statements with "My conclusion is..." or "In my opinion..." because I'm trying to get it in my head the way the Hellers wrote it before I can decide.

I hope I'm not offending anyone.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:24

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

Carbs have a carbohydrate addict. a difference between an alcoholic and a carbohydrate addict is carbohydrate is NEEDED...BUT alcohol is not. even if vitamins and energy.......a cader will EVENTUALLY fail with a diet that deprives him of sucH. Going on and off the wagon. Thats why yo-yo dieting is mentioned on the cover of CAD and a common trait of a cader .eating 20grams or less and not controlling insulin levels will eveuntually lead to failure (for caders). cad/calps concentrates on insluin surges and not amount of carbs.