Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 08:59
Registered Member

Plan: LC after breakfast
Stats: 150/146/135 Female 5'5"
BF:yes I have it.
Progress: 27%
Default recipe reviews

Hi all, I have been experimenting with the recipes in the collection. (the archived recipes from the SS Boards compiled by Jell.) Here are my thoughts so far on the recipes. Remember they are only mine...tastes obviously differ.

The Chicken Boursin is very good. I made it with more sour cream, not as much heavy cream, and used bone-in chicken pieces for more flavor. DH had it with real egg noodles and I had zuchini noodles.****
Eggplant Lasagna with Beef also very good. Watery the first day, would make earlier next time. But very good.***
Try playing with cauliflower casseroles. I love mine made with little cream and american cheese mixed thru the pured cauliflower. I knew american cheese had to be good for something.I also use a touch of KETO "bread crumbs" with butter on the top. It's like adding 1 carb. That is a great product****
I've made DebB pro/fat buns twice and they are OK and work to hold on to as a sandwich. You don't need a muffin tin, just spread out in circles on a cookie sheet. Cook until pretty dry, otherwise they will be eggy, not bready***
Didn't like the profat pancakes. They looked just pancakes, they tasted just like eggs.
Stuffed cabbage worked pretty well. But the cauliflower pieces melted away while cooking. I probably wouldn't bother with them next time.**
Nix on the gruntles pizza crust. Lots of work, tasted like eggs and porkrinds... First piece OK, second was hard to get down. My DH said, "So this diet works because it actually kills your appetite." Remember, it's just my opinion.
Eggplant Bread , now this is what I use for making pizzas. Once I dredged the slices in egg and a little KETO crumbs and then broiled the finished product with sauce, cheese and pepperoni. GOOD!***
Raspberry Mousse, recipe for my taste had too much cream cheese, too heavy and cheesey. Next time I will try just berries and whipped cream!
I think every recipe has to be evaluated and adjusted to one's own tastes, I usually lessen the cream and sugar. I think I like things just a bit lighter than most.
So, Friends, I've been like a mad scientist playing with these. Try some and give us your reviews.....I for one am always interested in what others make. Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 09:36

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

SJ Mom

What a great idea! I appreciate the feedback. I also found that a most of the recipes in Suzanne's books looked great in the pictures but tasted horrid. I agree with you on the pancakes tasting like eggs.

Your eggplant gread spounds great. I wonder how it would be dipped in egg then parmesan cheese, since I don't have Keto crumbs.

Sandy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 23:48

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Wow!

There's just no accounting for taste I guess. Two of my favorite things are Suzanne's cream cheese pancakes and Gruntle's pizza crust! I don't think they taste eggy at all, though I do notice the egg flavor in Suzanne's ice cream, though I still like it. Didn't have good luck with the pro/fat buns either. I now just go with the Atkins bread mixes if I really REALLY want a sandwich. It's a little funky but not too bad.

Thank you so much for these reviews though. I will definitely be trying the Boursin Chicken and checking out the KETO crumbs. I've been using Suzanne's bake and coat stuff with the dehydrated onions in place of bread crumb coatings and am starting to get a little tired of it. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for onion.

I ADORE whipped cauliflower and my DH really likes it with some yellow squash added. Someone here suggested chopping it a bit courser and using it as a rice sub in stir fries and that has worked well for us too. I've added in both squash and zucchini for that and been quite pleased with it. The squash absorbs sauce a little more than the cauliflower, the way rice does.

I use a Betty Crocker lasagna recipe where the only funky item is the pasta. For that I use the recipe for Suzanne's mini pizza crusts and layer it like pasta. You and Sandy might find that too eggy though, since it's somewhat like the pancakes.

My DH loved the Lemon Scented Ricotta in Suzanne's dessert recipe book with the raspberry coulis she suggests to go with her NY cheesecake. He really likes tart and I prefer very sweet things, so I prefer the strawberry ice cream in her Fast and Easy book. Of course the cheesecake is lovely!

This weekend I'm going to make a Rum Custard and try it over berries. (raspberries, blueberries and blackberries) If it turns out well I'll post the recipe here.

MB
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 08:08
Registered Member

Default Ha!

mamabeek, that's sooooo funny!!!! We are all so different!!!! The profat buns work real well with egg-mac muffin sandwiches. They are basically dried eggwhites but they are the right size and hold together well. I use them, also use the LC bread. I have about 5 lbs to lose, so I'm not being as strict as I was in the beginning, as I started feeling deprived and depressed at dinner. My family favorites revolve around pasta and bread and my changes were too dramatic. So I purchased some low carb soy pasta and use the equivalent of 3 carbs-worth with my dinner, or add one slice of lc bread. Then I don't feel so bad and I can stick with it. And I really plan to stick with it. Two nights ago I made Shrimp Scampi (wonderful). Cauliflower casserole, and coleslaw. Last night I made DH chili and elbows. I picked out the kidney beans, and used a scant 1/2 cup cooked soy pasta and actually smiled during dinner! Thats 2 sucessful dinners in a row!! Tonight will be leftover chicken,with artichokes and mushrooms. Oh, that was good too. A triple play!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 08:14
Registered Member

Default Those Keto crumbs

Mamabeek, If you do purchase those Keto crumbs, the cajun ones are HOT!!! When I opened up the container, I sneezed, so much cayenne! The original are very bland, so I mixed them about 4 to 1 (original /cajun). But as a breading, they work well. Nancy