Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-17, 08:07

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Grass-fed Beef bad for environment

Not sure if the article fits here, but since we are always promoting grass-fed beef as a healthier alternative to grain-fed beef, I thought I would try... .

Grass-fed beef is bad for the planet and causes climate change

Glenn in Orlando
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-17, 08:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I only skimmed the article, but its premise IMO is misleading. It twists the truth. I've been all around the block dietarily, and I believe it's true that no matter what cows feed off of, they will produce methane gas. That's nature. And nobody said you can eat unlimited amounts of beef, beef, beef if it's grass fed. That's like saying you can eat all the fat-free cookies you want because they're fat free. But I digress.

The heart of the matter, for me at least, is the way the animals are raised and treated and the quality of the life they live while they produce milk and before they become meat. I'm an animal lover and care about that. No matter if you do or not, the food they produce or become is much cleaner and healthier and nutritious (omega 3s, etc.) when they're allowed to graze.

All that said, I do very loosely follow the "Mediterranean" food pyramid model and keep the beef consumption way at the top, eating 1-2 portions a week max. I feel it's better for the environment, better for the animals, and better for me.

Just wanted to weigh in on that, no pun intended.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-17, 11:01

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Human vegans & vegetarians produce a lot more methane than meat eaters. Perhaps they should be culled or at least cut back on the fodder-eating.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-17, 16:47

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I was about to write something smart, then a red flag popped up. The site does not date the texts. The report itself is not dated. To illustrate, this page: http://www.fcrn.org.uk/fcrn-news/up...-launched-today

No date to indicate which "today" it refers to. No date for the news release itself. I'm not sure why it's a red flag to me. Maybe it's because it's like anonimity. Maybe it's because from an archiving point of view, it's impossible to fix it in a timeline. Maybe it's because it evokes a sense of uncertainty, not from the text itself, but from my own reaction to it.

Ima ignore everything from that group. I guess that's the only way for me to create certainty out of it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 01:48

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Complete utter nonsense. I would like to explain but the political censorship on this forum will prevent me from doing so. Pity because I believe there is a strong link between climate alarmism and flawed food guidelines, which is worthy of discussion
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 22:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bintang
Complete utter nonsense. I would like to explain but the political censorship on this forum will prevent me from doing so. Pity because I believe there is a strong link between climate alarmism and flawed food guidelines, which is worthy of discussion

I agree Bintang!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 09:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:

I am in 100% agreement with these statements. As the scientific method has failed us, we are left to believe folklore and anecdotes supported by those forces with an agenda. Facts are merely an annoyance. The link is there.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 18:57

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Complete utter nonsense...

I believe it's spelled udder

Grass fed beef is bad for the environment, it's hard on it, especially hard on the grass.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 03:32

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123

Grass fed beef is bad for the environment, it's hard on it, especially hard on the grass.

And the corollary to that must be that grain-fed humans are good for the environment but it's hard on the humans.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 08:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123

Yeah, or some udder thing!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-17, 07:46

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Agendas abound in this "discussion" that are driving recommendations that are not fully scientifically based whether it's dietary or climate. The argument will never be settled on either front until a coercive event occurs. In the dietary category, the ongoing epidemics should be a coercive event, but they're explained away by those with a different agenda. We may have a majority of "scientists" on either side who think it's no more than a voting matter. Very naive and harmful. If we think that the pure scientific method is still alive, embraced, and in practice, we are also very naive.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Wed, Nov-15-17 at 08:01.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 02:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

In the meantime rainforests are burned to feed vegans.

They should answer the call coming from inside the house.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 19:36

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

If humans were to quit eating/milking cattle because they produce methane no one would have any economic reason to raise cattle, perhaps other domestic animals either. I wonder would these domesticated breeds then be allowed to go extinct except perhaps for rare farm animal zoo exhibits because without animal products to sell breeding and raising them no longer pays? I doubt that's what animal rights activists had in mind, but would that then become the reality? I consider it a rhetorical question because I don't think it will actually happen.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 21:42

BF:

Even though it's rhetorical, I must answer your question by speculating that even though the cow/cattle population would shrink under those circumstances, people would still keep them as pets. I'd like to think so!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 11:51

BF:

The word "agenda" jumped into my head the minute I read the title, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly what the agenda is. Don't eat meat, period? Grass fed = grainfed because they both produce methane so you might as well eat the cheaper stuff? It's hard to tell. I think the article leads nowhere useful.

Last edited by barb712 : Thu, Oct-05-17 at 12:09.