Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 08:41

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecrane
Friends, let me establish my credentials. I'm no newbie. I've been low carb for over a year now, and lost over 70 lbs! I'm just wondering can I safely slow the weight loss by doing a "CarbNite" once every 2-3 weeks.

Eating carbs doesn't give me more carb cravings. Not bragging. Not saying I have amazing will power. I'm just inquiring about what I thought was a legitimate diet - Carb Cycling instead of straight up Atkins. I take it, you are not fans of carb cycling then.

I will never go back to being 254 lbs!

I would not do it now since you are so far from your goal. The appropriate time to do it is when you are close to goal.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/231/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper

Oh and the part about never weighing 254 pounds again...yeah, I said that once upon a time too. My stats show how well that worked out.
So I am speaking from experience about why "occasional treats" or "CarbNites" or whatever you call them, though they may work for you for years (as they did for me), can eventually turn into ending up piling the weight back on.
Maybe you're just that much more disciplined than me and it'll never happen to you. Actually, I hope that's the case, because I wouldn't wish having to try to lose 100lbs twice on anyone!
That is the reason, though, why I would encourage you not to risk it.

If you do not mind my asking, what happened exactly? Did eating carbs become habitual? Or did eating carbs once a month cause weight gain?

I'm not bragging. I'm not claiming to be superior to anyone, but when I eat carbs, I do not get more cravings. That's just how I'm built. My head doesn't work that way.

Having said that, do I equate carbs with fun? Yeah, a little bit. I used to brew my own beer, loved to bake, g/f and I used to go wine tasting every summer (we live near vineyards). That's why I am considering leaving Atkins for a carb cycling diet. For what it's worth, in October took a week off to see what would happen. This was an experiment. I had no issue recovering, but that was the one and only cheat in an entire year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I would not do it now since you are so far from your goal. The appropriate time to do it is when you are close to goal.

Maybe my profile is out of date? I'm just 9lbs away. Is that far? Anyway, I'm not going to do anything now. I was thinking like August.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 09:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

I've seen your posts before, but I don't recall your age.

I'm 40, so my 20 or 30 free years of eating whatever-crap has expired. I mention that because you mentioned donuts. I make donuts for a living.

I also second the idea of adopting certain higher-carb "safe" foods... hence the carb ladder. Not sure why you're resistant to it...

Great reply. Thx.

I'm 29. I'm resistant to the carb ladder because I simply dislike all the foods on the ladder. Brown rice and berries? Nothx. Besides, this lets me eat even less carbs 99% of the time. It's a good thing.

BTW - You have me leaning against making this change. I didn't realize a day out of ketosis meant a 10lb gain.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 09:47
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

It appears that my strategy is different than most of you posting to this thread.

To me, it truly is a YMMV kind of thing. So knowing yourself is a vital component to experimenting.
I did not begin with Atkins and did my first 2 weeks the South Beach way. My initial carbs were much higher than most others here. But I did my first 2 weeks squeaky clean. Lost over 100 lbs and have kept it all off for almost 10 yrs now. So when I tell you my strategy, know that it did work for me.

I never did a 'carbnite' as you call it. What I did do was isolate certain old favorites foods that as a newbie, would dominate my mind as in, 'you can never have it again so just obsess over that'.
I picked 3-4 old favs which shall go nameless. Once a month, I allowed myself to have a portion, as in 4ozs of whatever it was...just to shut my stupid mind down. It worked for me.
So I wouldn't do a whole night or day, but I did allow myself to have a bit of an old favorite as I worked to evolve my food to where it is today.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Judynyc : Fri, Jun-12-15 at 10:48.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 10:14

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I've done it recently.
It actually helped break a legitimate stall.
I gained 5lb of water weight temporarily. But then I kept losing because I limited the Carb Nite to its intended parameters, supper till bedtime and that's it, woke the next day, fasted till noon and was back on plan immediately.

I've done 3. I haven't done another recently, as I genuinely do feel kind of yucky the next 2 days as I burn out the sugar in my system. TMI, but headache, carb-hangover, and gas. But I am keeping it in my pocket for another true stall.

I'm able to go right back to low-carbing immediately after, so it isn't apocalypse for me. If you aren't someone who can cheat for a couple hours then go right back to business, it may be disastrous for you. If you can handle it, as long as it remains occasional (like every 2 weeks for a finite window) then if you lose weight on it, or not gain, go for it.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 12:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I'm sure I am not the first to ask, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Wait, now I remember you! You're this guy. You asked this question before. Did you think we'd all change our minds?

(The context the first time around was with respect to traveling. My advice to anyone just tuning in still stands: don't ruin an expensive trip by cheating. It's stressful enough on your body.)
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 13:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:

Having said that, do I equate carbs with fun? Yeah, a little bit. I used to brew my own beer, loved to bake, g/f and I used to go wine tasting every summer (we live near vineyards). That's why I am considering leaving Atkins for a carb cycling diet. For what it's worth, in October took a week off to see what would happen. This was an experiment. I had no issue recovering, but that was the one and only cheat in an entire year.

Oh for gosh sakes. I thought this thread seemed familiar.

Why do you keep asking the same question? If you find you can go on high carbohydrate holidays, and recover okay, and you're happy with the experiment, why don't you just go ahead and do what pleases you? I don't mean this in a harsh way. But experience will tell you how you'll respond to approaching things in this way better than any of us can.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 13:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

What is this, an annual event? Your last thread went for 9 pages! I'll wrap this up by simply pointing out that you're specifically concerned with weight loss only. So be it. Many of the answers here are from those desiring to help who are focused on improving health with weight loss as one of the many benefits. Go ahead and indulge yourself. I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 14:20

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
If you do not mind my asking, what happened exactly? Did eating carbs become habitual? Or did eating carbs once a month cause weight gain?

I'm not bragging. I'm not claiming to be superior to anyone, but when I eat carbs, I do not get more cravings. That's just how I'm built. My head doesn't work that way.

No, having popcorn at the movies once a month or a piece of cake on my birthday wasn't enough to cause weight gain.
It was that eating high carb became habitual. It started out with high carb once or twice a month, and slowly but surely it became more of an everyday thing as life happened, I got depressed, and just stopped caring about doing carbs as occasional treats, and instead wanted to chase the quick pick me up they provided when everything else sucked.

Sorry, I wasn't accusing you of bragging that was just my sense of humor. I tend to be dry and self-depreciating, so I was aiming it more at my own lack of willpower rather than saying something about yours.

I do understand about equating carbs with fun. Everyone has something in life where eating high carb foods is associated with a good time because they're so prevalent in our culture.
However, that sort of cognitive restructuring is part of the process of making weightloss permanent.
Can carbs be fun? Heck yeah! However, they also have effects, both short and long term, that are not fun at all.

And are they they only way to have fun? No, not at all. There are ways to have creativity time, and couple time without carbs.

The beer is a tricky one, but baking low carb is definitely possible. Since going low carb I bake way more than I ever did before because I have to!

Wine is actually a fairly low carb friendly alcohol, particularly if you have a taste for dry wines. Yes, alcohol can cause stalls, but that is one of those things that you can start introducing as you go into maintenance.
I'd feel much better about a few glasses of Champagne, or even Pinot Noir, as a treat than I would a cookie.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 19:02

Plan: <30 Net Carbs
Stats: 270/210/130 Female 5'4"
BF:51/45/ ???
Progress: 43%

Speaking as one who's here daily in recent months but wasn't here for Round 1, I'm a kind of impressed that those who participated in both threads carry the same message in each. It affirms my belief that some folks here are very open and honest.

I'm also LOLing a tiny bit about Round 2 starting to take off, but that's likely because I didn't witness the first...
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 08:21
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Wait, now I remember you! You're this guy. You asked this question before. Did you think we'd all change our minds?

(The context the first time around was with respect to traveling. My advice to anyone just tuning in still stands: don't ruin an expensive trip by cheating. It's stressful enough on your body.)

OK, so at the very least, Whitecrane has gone from asking permission to take a week off to asking permission to do it for just one night. I suppose we can see that as progress.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 09:09
Registered Member

BF:

Lmao. Freeze. Can we all backtrack a few posts?

That was an experiment. It went well.

This is a different topic. "CarbNite" is a dietary plan. Not a week of taking a break from the diet. It is, as described a number of hours of eating carbs performed with regular repetition. some people do it weekly, but I think that's probably a bad idea.

The prior topic was literally, about taking a week off from the diet / plan. Yes, there's a world of difference between breaking the rules 1-2 times a year and breaking them 1-2 times a month. That (the other post from last year) was an attempt at understanding how much damage I was going to do to myself. This however is a discussion on transitioning to a different weight loss plan, long term weight loss plan. Not an excuse for a cheat week.

http://carbnite.com/
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 09:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
No, having popcorn at the movies once a month or a piece of cake on my birthday wasn't enough to cause weight gain.
It was that eating high carb became habitual. It started out with high carb once or twice a month, and slowly but surely it became more of an everyday thing as life happened, I got depressed, and just stopped caring about doing carbs as occasional treats, and instead wanted to chase the quick pick me up they provided when everything else sucked.

This tells me what I needed to know regarding eating carbs on scheduled nights. Thank you. I don't know if I'm going to proceed or not in the near future. But if I do experiment with the CarbNite plan, I will post results here.

There should be more information documented about alternatives to lifetime low carb lifestyles. Whether other people choose to persue it or not is on them.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 11:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
I don't know if I'm going to proceed or not in the near future. But if I do experiment with the CarbNite plan, I will post results here.

Actually, it would be better if you posted in the Semi Low-Carb Plans section .
In fact, there's already an ongoing discussion thread in the Semi-LC forum about the Carb Nite Solution plan.

Doreen
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 11:54

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I hope it works out for you.

I have tried carb-ups in the past. I didn't get any obvious benefit from them, and for some reason couldn't really work up much enthusiasm for them, so I stopped. I seem to have come to a point where putting pasta under meat sauce, or wheat crust under pizza topping makes it less appealing instead of more.

If I'm going to do a little off-plan recreational eating, turns out I'd much rather have peanuts.