Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/231/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default CarbNite?

I'm sure I am not the first to ask, but I searched and couldn't find anything. What do we think of taking one day every 2-3 weeks and carbing up to satisfy cravings? Would this simply knock one out of ketosis for a few days, or does it make weight loss impossible?

One day every 2-3 weeks can't cause weight gain, so I am not worried about that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 13:31

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

For many people taking a whole day off from low carb eating can trigger overwhelming cravings leading to going off plan in the next few weeks.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 14:08

Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

What Elizellen said.

Being knocked out of ketosis can cause you to gain 1-10+ pounds very quickly as well.

I have found that ignoring cravings is the best way to beat them. (835 days without a "cheat") Sometimes finding a LC substitute with the flavor or texture of the food you're craving works as well.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 14:10

Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecrane
I'm sure I am not the first to ask, but I searched and couldn't find anything. What do we think of taking one day every 2-3 weeks and carbing up to satisfy cravings? Would this simply knock one out of ketosis for a few days, or does it make weight loss impossible?

One day every 2-3 weeks can't cause weight gain, so I am not worried about that.

If you are following low carb and staying away from the low carb shakes and bars, you shouldn't be having any cravings. I think givin yourself a carb night is just going to set up an endless loop of cravings. As to your weight loss, when I've cheated and had a lot of carbs, I'd gain 3-5 pounds over night and take more than a week to lose it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 14:28
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I lost a ton of weight following a similar low carb plan that included planned 'off' days. I also put back on all the weight I'd lost and then some. I'm sure there are some who can do that version of LC and be relatively successful. But I think most who try it will not succeed. I know I never did. The idea sounds good on paper and we want to believe that if we feed our craving, we will satisfy it. But that is not how it works. If you feed your craving, it will grow stronger. Eventually, the cravings will overpower you. Your diet will fail and the weight will come back on.

A planned day off is cheat, no matter how you slice it. A quote I read somewhere on this board said that "if you return to eating the foods that made you fat, you will be fat again." That may be a tough pill to swallow, but I'm afraid it is true for most of us. When I did the version of LC with "cheat days" built in - I dove right into all of my carby favorites and I had an increasingly difficult time finding the willpower to get back on plan. Sometimes the diet would fall apart within weeks -- sometimes I could go for months and make good progress with the weight loss. But it was always a struggle. Eventually, I'd have one diet vacation too many and just could not find my way back.

After more than 2 decades of LC diet failure, I finally learned my lesson. Certain foods give me problems. I had to accept that can't eat those foods. Not just for a while -- I needed to stop having them forever. By not indulging the cravings -- those cravings faded away eventually. Without cravings, this WOE has become pretty darn easy and enjoyable. I lose weight and I feel great. And provided that I never get the 'stupids' at some point in the future and go back to eating junk, this weight will stay off and I will live a long and healthy life. If I go back to eating the foods that made me fat, then back up the weight loss roller-coaster I will go. Where I stop, nobody knows.

The people who don't cheat, succeed. The ones that do spin their wheels year after year losing and regaining the same pounds over and over again. I was a pro at it.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Jun-11-15 at 14:52.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 15:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

No! Why mess with it? As mentioned, your cravings no longer exist if you're eating right. The biggest transition is to change your mindset to a totally new way of looking at food. What you don't know when you start this WOE is that your desires and cravings cease to exist, and you can finally eat how you should. Once you've accomplished that, the rest is elementary.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 18:01
Registered Member

BF:

Friends, let me establish my credentials. I'm no newbie. I've been low carb for over a year now, and lost over 70 lbs! I'm just wondering can I safely slow the weight loss by doing a "CarbNite" once every 2-3 weeks.

Eating carbs doesn't give me more carb cravings. Not bragging. Not saying I have amazing will power. I'm just inquiring about what I thought was a legitimate diet - Carb Cycling instead of straight up Atkins. I take it, you are not fans of carb cycling then.

I will never go back to being 254 lbs!

Last edited by Whitecrane : Thu, Jun-11-15 at 18:41.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 08:41

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Friends, let me establish my credentials. I'm no newbie. I've been low carb for over a year now, and lost over 70 lbs! I'm just wondering can I safely slow the weight loss by doing a "CarbNite" once every 2-3 weeks.

Eating carbs doesn't give me more carb cravings. Not bragging. Not saying I have amazing will power. I'm just inquiring about what I thought was a legitimate diet - Carb Cycling instead of straight up Atkins. I take it, you are not fans of carb cycling then.

I will never go back to being 254 lbs!

I would not do it now since you are so far from your goal. The appropriate time to do it is when you are close to goal.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 18:52

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Congrats on the 70 lbs gone. I'm a little confused with exactly what you are looking to do - in the original question you asked about having a day every few weeks to eat foods you are craving. Above you say eating carbs doesn't give you cravings.

You have Atkins listed as your current plan and certainly if you feel changing to a different woe would work better for you then go for it. If you are saying you want to "do Atkins" but with a day off every couple of weeks, I would recommend against it. In DANDR, Atkins addresses that going back and forth is not a good idea for several reasons including that repeatedly bouncing back and forth can damage your metabolism over time.

How far have you moved up the carb ladder in OWL? Are you just wanting to add in more whole foods that are higher carb like a sweet potato or higher carb fruit or do you mean a blow out with pizza, beer, popcorn, cake, and cookies?

For me, what you are considering would not work. Partially because the foods I no longer eat I believe aren't healthy so why would I eat something I consider poison to me? You will ultimately have to decide what you think will work best for you. Regardless of which way you go - good luck and enjoy the journey to a happy healthy you - whatever path you take to get there.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 19:31
Registered Member

BF:

I'll answer your questions. I don't get daily cravings where staying on plan is a daily struggle. It's more of a boredom with the foods I eat every day and desire to plan something different for rare occasions. Call it a cheat - fine.

I haven't moved into OWL. I am on straight induction for a year now. I don't care for any of the foods in OWL so have no desire to move into it.

Specifically, you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned popcorn, beer etc... junk food. I don't at all consider any food to be poisonous, but I have accepted my body will store fat when I eat certain foods. That doesn't mean that if I eat cookies for a day the next 5 days my mind will be filled with sweet cravings. Far from it. It's more an issue of after 4-5 weeks of induction, I would like to look forward to a donut or something like that. - And I have read that there arer carb cycling diets that would allow me to do this sort of thing very rarely.

They justify "CarbNite" with 1 million excuses. I don't have a problem with calling it cheating. It is what it is. I'm just wondering if it's done once every 3-4 weeks - if it would cause permanent weight gain or not.

I am getting the idea that it would make weight loss impossible. Damaging the metabolism sounds like something that would make me quite fat. Am leaning towards taking your advice.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 19:58
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

With few exceptions I find the carby foods I used to really enjoy no longer have their original appeal or addiction, even if I do try them again. They can also lead to gas, indigestion or heartburn.

Increasing carbs for a day might increase metabolism by breaking a routine the body has become accustomed to, but then so might a day of fasting?

From what I read: People who do the "Carb Nite Solution" primarily use safe starches such as rice, potatoes, and sweet potatoes as the source of carbohydrates.

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Jun-11-15 at 20:15.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 20:42

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

It depends on how carb tolerant you are, but I'm not a fan of carb ups.
Especially if the reason for doing them is to satisfy cravings, because I find that they're actually a good way to trigger more cravings.
If you don't have that problem you can try it to break routine and increase metabolism.

I'm not one to sugar coat things, though, and I think doing carb ups because you want to eat popcorn or cookies or whatever is a terrible idea. Putting those foods on the level of forbidden treats gives them that pleasurable connotation that you're better off seeking elsewhere than food. I'm not saying you have to think high carb = poison, but am saying also don't think high carb = fun.

Oh and the part about never weighing 254 pounds again...yeah, I said that once upon a time too. My stats show how well that worked out.
So I am speaking from experience about why "occasional treats" or "CarbNites" or whatever you call them, though they may work for you for years (as they did for me), can eventually turn into ending up piling the weight back on.
Maybe you're just that much more disciplined than me and it'll never happen to you. Actually, I hope that's the case, because I wouldn't wish having to try to lose 100lbs twice on anyone!
That is the reason, though, why I would encourage you not to risk it.

Last edited by s-piper : Thu, Jun-11-15 at 20:59.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 09:29
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper

Oh and the part about never weighing 254 pounds again...yeah, I said that once upon a time too. My stats show how well that worked out.
So I am speaking from experience about why "occasional treats" or "CarbNites" or whatever you call them, though they may work for you for years (as they did for me), can eventually turn into ending up piling the weight back on.
Maybe you're just that much more disciplined than me and it'll never happen to you. Actually, I hope that's the case, because I wouldn't wish having to try to lose 100lbs twice on anyone!
That is the reason, though, why I would encourage you not to risk it.

If you do not mind my asking, what happened exactly? Did eating carbs become habitual? Or did eating carbs once a month cause weight gain?

I'm not bragging. I'm not claiming to be superior to anyone, but when I eat carbs, I do not get more cravings. That's just how I'm built. My head doesn't work that way.

Having said that, do I equate carbs with fun? Yeah, a little bit. I used to brew my own beer, loved to bake, g/f and I used to go wine tasting every summer (we live near vineyards). That's why I am considering leaving Atkins for a carb cycling diet. For what it's worth, in October took a week off to see what would happen. This was an experiment. I had no issue recovering, but that was the one and only cheat in an entire year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I would not do it now since you are so far from your goal. The appropriate time to do it is when you are close to goal.

Maybe my profile is out of date? I'm just 9lbs away. Is that far? Anyway, I'm not going to do anything now. I was thinking like August.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 09:47
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

It appears that my strategy is different than most of you posting to this thread.

To me, it truly is a YMMV kind of thing. So knowing yourself is a vital component to experimenting.
I did not begin with Atkins and did my first 2 weeks the South Beach way. My initial carbs were much higher than most others here. But I did my first 2 weeks squeaky clean. Lost over 100 lbs and have kept it all off for almost 10 yrs now. So when I tell you my strategy, know that it did work for me.

I never did a 'carbnite' as you call it. What I did do was isolate certain old favorites foods that as a newbie, would dominate my mind as in, 'you can never have it again so just obsess over that'.
I picked 3-4 old favs which shall go nameless. Once a month, I allowed myself to have a portion, as in 4ozs of whatever it was...just to shut my stupid mind down. It worked for me.
So I wouldn't do a whole night or day, but I did allow myself to have a bit of an old favorite as I worked to evolve my food to where it is today.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Judynyc : Fri, Jun-12-15 at 10:48.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 13:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:

Having said that, do I equate carbs with fun? Yeah, a little bit. I used to brew my own beer, loved to bake, g/f and I used to go wine tasting every summer (we live near vineyards). That's why I am considering leaving Atkins for a carb cycling diet. For what it's worth, in October took a week off to see what would happen. This was an experiment. I had no issue recovering, but that was the one and only cheat in an entire year.

Oh for gosh sakes. I thought this thread seemed familiar.

Why do you keep asking the same question? If you find you can go on high carbohydrate holidays, and recover okay, and you're happy with the experiment, why don't you just go ahead and do what pleases you? I don't mean this in a harsh way. But experience will tell you how you'll respond to approaching things in this way better than any of us can.