Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 07:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/174/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default Help -- 5 weeks in ketosis and not a pound lost!

Hello,

I started Atkins about 5 weeks ago. I love everything about the plan, the food, the science, softer skin, better sleep, improved mood, etc., but I am a 5'4" woman weighing 175 pounds and have wavered between 175 and 174 lbs this entire time! The measuring tape has not budged either.

I thought I would be blissfully melting away by now! I have been in ketosis the entire time, net carbs under 21 grams, keep my calories under 1500, and do a short HIIT and resistance workout 5 days a week.

I am praying that the weight or fat loss (I'll take anything!) will kick in any minute. Am I deluding myself?

Mpl16

Last edited by Mpl16 : Sun, Jun-26-16 at 08:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 08:12

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry low carb (Atkins) does not appear to be working for you.

You say you are eating 21 NET carbs per day. Ketosis usually requires one to be in the range of 20-50 TOTAL (not NET) carbs per day. Can you tell us what you are eating, how many total carbs per day? Also, how many fat grams and how many protein grams? The more specific you can be about what you eat (amounts are helpful), the more helpful we may be able to be.

What books have you read?

Tell us more and we may be able to figure out how to get you losing.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 08:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi Liz,

Books you ask? Good calories, Bad calories; why we get fat; new Atkins for a new you; art & science of lc living; cholesterol clarity; wheat belly; big fat surprise; Keto clarity; eat fat get thin; always hungry?; obesity Code (and dr. Fung's blog); fast diet; world turned upside down; insulin resistance solution; many low carb cookbooks.

Average protein 77g, average carbs 30 (total not net); average fiber 12; average fat 110.

Typical days menu: coffee with splash of unsweetened hemp milk; 2 eggs in coconut oil with cooked kale; sardines with greens, 3 mini peppers, olive oil vinegrette and 1/2 avocado; 1/4 cup nuts; 4 oz pork chop, chicken with skin, steak, fish or other protein; sautéed spinach or cauliflower in olive oil; 2 oz very hard artisan cheese

I test as often as I can afford to with a blood ketone test that says I'm 1 to 1.7 in ketosis.

I know Dr.Fung feels the only thing left is fasting, but I feel like I should at least have lost some weight and plateaued before having to fast.

Any help is appreciated!

Mpl16
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 09:07

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

How long is the short HIIT workout?

Any medications?

What's your LBM? Could you be a person with really heavy bones and dense muscle, such that your weight is heavy but not that overfat?

I think you might be confusing the body a little bit with your food program, which is set up for all ketones all the time, with minimal protein and fat. And then contrasted with 5 days of HIIT, which is 65% carb burning and glycogen depleting. So you might be demanding more glycogen than your diet is providing, so the body says, whoa, stressful.

You could try eating more protein or fat to fuel frequent HIIT sessions. Or do a mix of 2 days of HIIT and 3 days lower intensity to let glycogen have more time to fill up with your existing food program.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 09:13

Thanks for providing detailed info about your diet. I don't see anything that looks egregiously non low carb. The only possibilities that I see to cut would be the nuts and/or the cheese. I seem to tolerate cheese fine, but some here have great difficulty with dairy products. The real problem with nuts seems to be portion control but if you are eating only 1/4 cup per day, I doubt that would be enough to halt weight loss.

Did you have a diuretic effect at the beginning of the diet?

Other than that, yeah, fasting might be the next step. Fasting does not have to be onerous. It can be as simple as skipping breakfast - do not eat between dinner one night and lunch the following day.

Maybe others will have some better ideas....
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 09:29
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

HI Seejay,

Thanks for responding! I'm kinda embarrassed to tell you my HIIT is only 10 minutes based on a study I read about the benefits (not weight loss) of a minimal HIIT workout. Do you think that makes a difference? Happy to cut that back!

Also I have a small frame and my dr. Wants me to lose weight, so I don't think I'm near a healthy BMI. I am primarily pear shaped with a increasing abdominal budge as I've reached menopause. I'm sure I have heavy thigh muscles from hauling my 175 lbs around, but LOTS of adipose fat and I feel like lc should really help me access those fat stores for burning.

Not sure what LBM is?

I'm on a low dose of linsoprin for bp and would love to improve enough to ditch that. Stopped taking Prozac 3 weeks ago with no detrimental effect except I am super bummed about this program not working.

Does this alter your advice?

Mpl16
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 09:31

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

This is a frequent type of complaint from new posters and I always say start a journal on here in the Boot Camp / Journal thread and list your daily food intake. It's virtually impossible to provide advice without seeing intake over a period of time.
Having said that, your fat intake seems a bit high. I'm all for high healthy fat, but yours might be high high. Like previous poster says, Nuts/cheese can be problems for some.
Also HIIT is a hella workout, harder even than running. Can you consider a tamer exercise at least when you're only five weeks in?
Hope you stick around, start a journal and find a way to make this wonderful woe work for you. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 09:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Thanks for providing detailed info about your diet. I don't see anything that looks egregiously non low carb. The only possibilities that I see to cut would be the nuts and/or the cheese. I seem to tolerate cheese fine, but some here have great difficulty with dairy products. The real problem with nuts seems to be portion control but if you are eating only 1/4 cup per day, I doubt that would be enough to halt weight loss.

Did you have a diuretic effect at the beginning of the diet?

Other than that, yeah, fasting might be the next step. Fasting does not have to be onerous. It can be as simple as skipping breakfast - do not eat between dinner one night and lunch the following day.

Maybe others will have some better ideas....

Thanks, Liz. Worth a try. No big diuretic loss at the beginning, but my linsoprin has a diuretic so maybe that's why.

Just feeling very whiney that most folks on this form and all the success stories in the books seem to be able to eat all the permitted stuff they want and still lose weight/fat!

I would conclude that maybe I'm not insulin resistant but overweight/borderline obese and high bp makes me inclined to think I'd benefit from lc. I'd been maintaining 175 lbs for years on lf high whole grains and beans. Couldn't lose unless I dropped to 1200 calories a day which is super uncomfortable for me. I was hoping that would be different on lc.

Mpl16
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 09:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Are you taking any medications, NSAIDs, etc? How's your thyroid? Exercise most likely isn't going to help you lose weight, but it'll make you healthier. For some people, exercising can actually slow weight loss. So be sure you don't over-do it.

Most medications seem to cause weight gain or hamper weight loss. Menopause is it's own thing. Food intolerances, menopause, all these things make it much harder. Anyway, the point is you've got to try things out and challenge yourself to see what works and what doesn't. I'm still working on that myself.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 09:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs
This is a frequent type of complaint from new posters and I always say start a journal on here in the Boot Camp / Journal thread and list your daily food intake. It's virtually impossible to provide advice without seeing intake over a period of time.
Having said that, your fat intake seems a bit high. I'm all for high healthy fat, but yours might be high high. Like previous poster says, Nuts/cheese can be problems for some.
Also HIIT is a hella workout, harder even than running. Can you consider a tamer exercise at least when you're only five weeks in?
Hope you stick around, start a journal and find a way to make this wonderful woe work for you. Good luck!

Hi GreekRibs,

Thanks for responding. Any suggestions on a number of fat grams you think would work?

Also, my HIIT is a 10 minute session with only 1 minute total HI. Think that still makes a difference?

I'll check out the boot camp journal site. I wonder if there is a way to export the MyFitnessPal journal to it? I prefer it to the Atkins app because I can track so many other nutrients and calories.

Thanks again and congrats on your stats! Wish they were mine.
Mpl16
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 09:49

Yeah, it is surprising to me that you've not been able to lose even just a little. However if you are NOT insulin resistant, then Low Fat may work just as well for you.

I would say the success stories are the cream of the crop. Also, some are able to maintain, others are not. There are lots of stories on this board - some seem to go directly to goal in a straight line fashion, others struggle, some never make it.

The body is sometimes mysterious about what weight it feels it has to defend. Some of us simply have goals lower than what the body seems to want and that can be frustrating. However, as you no doubt know from all your reading, the benefits of low carb go way beyond weight loss. In fact, some here consider improved health to be the true goal, with weight loss as a side effect.

I hope you won't give up.

Edited to add:

Quote:
Just feeling very whiney that most folks on this form and all the success stories in the books seem to be able to eat all the permitted stuff they want and still lose weight/fat!

That is probably true for most men and some young women. It is not at all true for the bulk of women here, particularly those who are peri-menopausal or menopausal. I'd say most women have to keep an eye to calories as well as carbs.

Greek Ribs thinks you may be a bit high in fat. She may be right, she may be wrong. I do best with 100-120 g fat per day, but everyone seems to have a sweet spot. It may be worth experimenting - taking it lower and if that doesn't work, take it higher (which works brilliantly for some).

Everyone here is an individual and it is our job to experiment enough to figure out works best for our particular bodies.

Last edited by Liz53 : Sun, Jun-26-16 at 09:58.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 09:52

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs

I don't want to confuse the issue here but from my perspective 110 grams per day of fat is not high. I eat on average 145 gms of fat a day. I now fast on a 16/8 schedule. Two meals a day seems to work best for me and I am not eating anything between 6PM and 10AM. So that's my suggestion, try the intermittent fasting. You might even find you like it.

Jean
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 10:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Are you taking any medications, NSAIDs, etc? How's your thyroid? Exercise most likely isn't going to help you lose weight, but it'll make you healthier. For some people, exercising can actually slow weight loss. So be sure you don't over-do it.

Most medications seem to cause weight gain or hamper weight loss. Menopause is it's own thing. Food intolerances, menopause, all these things make it much harder. Anyway, the point is you've got to try things out and challenge yourself to see what works and what doesn't. I'm still working on that myself.

Thanks Nancy,
My thyroid checks out and I am taking linsopril combine with a low dose diuretic. I'm monitoring my bp so I can lobby my dr to go off if I can get it low enough. I'll experiment with the exercise but I don't think I'm doing enough to harm progress (10 minutes a day).
Mpl16
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 10:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Greek Ribs thinks you may be a bit high in fat. She may be right, she may be wrong. I do best with 100-120 g fat per day, but everyone seems to have a sweet spot. It may be worth experimenting - taking it lower and if that doesn't work, take it higher (which works brilliantly for some).

Everyone here is an individual and it is our job to experiment enough to figure out works best for our particular bodies.

100% agree with this. Finding the right macros for fat/protein/carbs is a super individual thing so all we can do is play around with it. Everyone find their own sweet spot
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 11:43

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yeah, 10 minutes a day sounds like it wouldn't mess with your fuel and all that. It is mysterious though. I too wonder what's going on. LBM is lean body mass. With the female pear shape fat distribution and menopause around that, that could maybe be part of it.

Your body is sure telling you it wants equilibrium with your current program.

How about your vitamin and mineral situation? are you good with iodine and D3?