Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 21:17
Beautiful Disaster

Plan: tbl/common sense
Stats: 380/341/299 Female 6'0"
BF:so i've been told
Progress: 48%
Talking I'm back :>

I suppose one could say I was a "member" of TDC about a year ago. I didn't intend to drop off the face of the earth, or leave the low-carb boards, but I ended up shockingly getting pregnant (happy Valentines Day to me!), after being told that due to the severity of my PCOS, I had less than a 5% chance of ever conceiving naturally, AND being on the pill. Whoops! Miracle baby, indeed

Needless to say, I no longer could follow the Atkins eating plan, although I did stick to a very healthy style of eating. I went from 360 pre-pregnancy, to 380 on my due date, and, less than 16 weeks later, am at 328.

I re-introduced myself to the Atkins way of eating on 2/19, the same day I decided to quit smoking for good. (I had quit while pregnant, but as soon as I had my cesarean and was put on percoset I immediately started smoking again, for some unknown reason).

I am an at home mom, because in my area, daycare for a newborn is upwards of 400 dollars a week, as well as a full time student (currently online). Looking at my little girl has made me realize how much in my life I had to change, because I wanted to be around for her for as long as humanly possible.

I'm back to this portion of the low carb forums, because, as distorted as this may sound, I have a hard time relating to someone who is on Atkins because they want to go from 135 to 120. I could only dream of being 135 pounds. I guess that's just a personal view, but I wanted the support, and hopefully the friendship, of people who are actually walking in my shoes.

It used to be "okay" in my head for me to be this big, because it didn't "hurt anyone". Now I know that if I continue to be this way, it WILL hurt someone. It will hurt the most beautiful little girl in the world, who means everything to me, and who has given me a reason to try to be a real person again.

And, in case anyone is curious, here is a photo of Aura, my pint-size motivator

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 23:29
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

OMG!! That is one gorgeous little girl!!

Welcome Back!! and a big congrats to you on all levels, baby, weight loss, quitting smoking....thats a lot!!

My very best to you on your journey.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 06:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284.4/274/150 Female 5 "4
BF:
Progress: 8%

beautiful baby - congrats on your success so far and good luck with the rest of your journey
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 06:15

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Welcome back! And congrats on the wonderful turn your life has taken! WTG!

Your daughter is beautiful... love that hair and those eyes!

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 06:20

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 499.0/166.0/199.0 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Welcome back to the TDC and congratulations on such a beautiful addition to the family
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 07:14
Beautiful Disaster

Thanks, everyone

We agree, although we are terribly biased

I must correct myself. I said "happy valentines day to me" in my post, which is not to confuse anyone in thinking that was her birth date. That's when she was (whoops!) conceived she was born 11/3/06.

I've been ranting about it in my journal as of late..she was 9lbs 9ozs at birth. She is currently nearly 26 inches long (as long as a 6 month old) at 15 weeks, and weighs 16lbs 12ozs, also about what a 6 month old would weigh. Her Doc has been riding me about her 'over eating' (she eats less than the doc herself said she should be consuming), and has actually gone as far as to imply I should be putting her on a diet.

That was my biggest reason, aside from wanting to be around for my daughter, that I've gone back on Atkins. I didn't want my daughter to grow up watching mama be fat and end up that way herself. She already has genetics against her, as her father and I are both 6' and big boned (yes, fat, too, but I mean bone structure!) people.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 08:53

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Muse...Welcome back the the TDC and congrats on the new little one! She is truly adorable!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 11:13

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Welcome back! You have a beautiful daughter.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 11:44

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Oh, what an adorable little motivator!

The medical establishment is really getting out of hand on this obesity thing if they think she's overeating and overweight. They need to figure out a better way of defining "overweight" than just a standard height/weight chart!

More than half a century ago, my brother doubled his birthweight by the time he was about 3 months old (supposed to be 6 months) and had tripled it by 6 months (supposed to be a year). He was always rock solid, strong, and muscular, with a big bone structure.

He does Atkins too, and has lost a small chunk of weight on it, but he wasn't all that heavy to begin with. (meaning: not morbidly obese like I was at my heaviest) He's still quite muscular, strong and rock solid (now that he's gotten rid of the pudge factor).

The thing is, if mom had been forced to put him on a diet when he was growing unusually rapidly as an infant, instead of being encouraged to feed him as much as he seemed to need, hard to tell what it would have done to him - I can only imagine that he would have been much worse off as far as his weight is concerned.

That's not your daughter's problem though - it doesn't sound like she has a huge appetite. Her length has more than grown to make up for her weight gain, why can't they see these things?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 14:02
Beautiful Disaster

Ahh, Calianna, I could kiss you.

I've been on the look-out for another pediatrician for my daughter since last Monday when the woman said that to me. I nearly decked her.

Rewinding a tiny bit, the "pediatrician" that Aura has is a woman I've never met. I always see her partner or one of the numerous Nurse Practitioners. Not to mention, they have a terribly high turn-over rate for ARNP's & RN's, so it's usually a different person every time we go in. That alone bothers me.

Anyway, I was appalled when this ARNP told me I'm feeding her too much. She said with her length she should be eating a 6-8 oz bottle 5-6 times a day. That's averaging 40oz's a day, no? Well, Aura eats a 4oz bottle every 3 hours, usually 6-8 times a day (depending on her naps), so that's averaging 28ozs a day. That's -twelve- ounces less a day than the ARNP told me she SHOULD be eating, and when I told her that, she told me I must be miscalculating. Not to mention I was given tons of crap when I had to stop breastfeeding. (I had been until she was 14 weeks old, but I was put on Lithium for chronic depression made much worse due to hormones, and it was drastically affecting my relationship with Aura's father, because I was, truthfully, just going bonkers over nothing.)

When I was born I was 24 inches long. I was only 8.5lbs but it caught up to my length very quickly, and was wearing 6-9 month clothes by 4 months due to my length. I was just too tall to fit into clothes designed for my age. My father was like that, and so was Aura's father. Genetically, she is going to be a big girl, height wise. I'm doing my best to make sure it's only height wise that she's big.

It's just aggravating that people in the medical field cannot take what a parent says for the truth and look at circumstances. I can understand if I were a 5'6 120lb woman with my 17lb 4 month old baby and having them assuming I was lying, but hell, I'm 6' myself!

Grrrr. -rant rant-
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 18:13

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Oh, that flat out stinks. Definitely time for a new pediatrician...

I often wonder if people look at those of us who are obese and extrapolate from that that we are overfeeding our kids. And just ignore whether we are or not! That would tick me off too.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 15:32
Beautiful Disaster

I think it's hard for people to look at someone who's over 300lbs and not judge them.

I don't think anyone has ever assumed I had a medical problem (I do), or even asked why I was overweight. Doctors included, that didn't know my whole history. They just assume I sit around with a corn-dog in one hand and a bucket of Pepsi in the other.

I guess those same people assume I'm doing the same thing with my child...and that's the main reason I'm doing Atkins. I don't want to be the "fat mom" to her friends.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 08:31

Plan: Low Carb/Gluten Free/IF
Stats: 310.0/302.2/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Babies always gain at first and then when they start crawling and moving it levels off----I can't believe these doctors!!! So there are mothers out there listening to them denying their newborn children nutrition---what kind of problems will THAT cause when the children are older!!!

Welcome back even though I am just meeting you!! You are making good decisions that will definitely benefit your daughter, but are also going to be wonderful for you---good luck!!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-07, 00:46

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Welcome back. Your daughter is simply gorgeous. Those eyes...that hair.
She is going to be one lovely lady when she grows up.

My daughter in law is expecting my first grandchild any day now. In fact she is a few days overdue and I am all excited to have a baby in the house again.
(She and my son live with me).

I also have PCOS so I understand where you are coming from regarding people, especially in the medical community, thinking we sit around and eat all day. I hate that. My weight has gone up and up year after year and I ate less then my thin sister.

Now on low carb I feel like I finally have some control on getting my weight down to where *I* want it. I'm currently over 350 pounds.

I cannot think of anything else to add so once again, welcome back.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-07, 10:09
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hi muse,
Welcome, and congratulations on all you've accomplished so far! Your daughter is just so gorgeous. Where does the red hair come from, you or dad's side?

I'm so glad you're a low-carber so know all about the low fat, low cholesterol, food pyramid lies. This trend of trying to take the fat out of infants food is just plain dangerous! I hope you can find a better pediatrician soon.

I have trouble relating to a 125 pound person too, although I respect that their reasons for LC-ing are just as valid as mine. But I'm with you on the comfort I find in this folder.

Good luck to you!