Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 14:27

Plan: Atkins/Meat & Egg
Stats: 213.5/191.4/155 Female 5' 5
BF:??/37
Progress: 38%
Default Am I doing enough

I have been on Atkins since 1/3/06 and have been walking here and there until this last week. I made a commitment to myself to wake up early and work out at least 5 days a week. Right now I have been averaging 2.55 miles in 45 minutes. This morning I did 2.75 in 50 minutes. My goal is to get to 3 miles, then eventually 5 one day. Am I doing enough or do I need to add something else to my activity? I figure since I used to be very sedetary anything is better than nothing, but I also want to lose weight consistently. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
Mandy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 08:03

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Are you still pushing?

Do you feel exercised when you're done, or just like you do at any other time?

If not, you will need to push somehow--faster pace, longer distance, carry weights, more hills, whatever. Might want to add some form of weight training; different effect than just walking. Rebounding can boost heart rate pretty quickly, and you can do it indoors when you can't get out.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 08:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/216/140 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love walking on a treadmill. I'm trying to increase my activity on there as well. I wish I would wake up in the morning more often to workout. One doctor I had once told me that women usually have more success if they workout in the morning instead of trying to do it later in the day. I think it's because things seem to come up. I'm still finding sometime in the evenings to exercise though. I also have 20 pound dumbells, and do sit ups and leg lifts. I'd like to start squats too. I think it's good to weight train to help tone your muscles and raise your metabolism. The way I understand it, is that cardio burns fat. Woo Hoo!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 09:03
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

cs carver gave you good advice.... When you finish with your treadmill you should feel that you've put in a good exercise. I always determine if I've had a good exercise by the following:
- did I sweat? I don't feel that I've put in a good effort unless I'm sweating
- when I'm on the treadmill can I still hold a conversation? If so then I haven't pushed myself enough
- do I feel tired yet full of energy? When immediately coming off the treadmill I feel somewhat tired yet at the same time I feel energized.

I would agree that some form of weight training or resistance training would be a good idea.

#5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 15:13

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy
I have been on Atkins since 1/3/06 and have been walking here and there until this last week. I made a commitment to myself to wake up early and work out at least 5 days a week. Right now I have been averaging 2.55 miles in 45 minutes. This morning I did 2.75 in 50 minutes. My goal is to get to 3 miles, then eventually 5 one day. Am I doing enough or do I need to add something else to my activity? I figure since I used to be very sedetary anything is better than nothing, but I also want to lose weight consistently. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
Mandy

Kudos for getting started! Your walking pace is not bad at all. Keep it up and maintain the proper calorie intake. If you're not losing unwanted weight, adjust your calorie intake, diet composition and/or how much activity you are doing. Keep makin your progressions in distance and time. You'll be at 5 miles before you know it. Walking with added weight is a good way to burn additional calories.

If you're looking to improve muscle quality, start some resistance training.