Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 15:47
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 182.5/122/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 161%

Glad to have found this group!! I turn 55 in Sept. and am post menopausal. I was trying to scope out others in the same boat but many people don't put their ages up then i find out the person is in their early 30's! My weight is just not moving down the same as it did them and i can't compare. Looking forward to
following you all.
Cher you live in the most beautiful place. My mom has a place on Red Rooffs. I haven't been there for awhile...not enjoying minus 21 here in Calgary.
You will be my inspiration! Jayne
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 08:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (returning)
Stats: 222/210/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I just turned 50 in December and have started again on Atkins about 7 days ago. I lost about 35 pounds on Atkins about 10 years ago and kept it off until I went back to work (after being a stay-at-home mom for 13 years). I will blame the stress! LOL

Now I'm 50 and want that THIN feeling back again. So far so good. I'm sitting here eating my egg-sausage-cheese quiche (yum) while my husband is making Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. I'm having no trouble at all resisting that! Woohooo!
  #213   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 10:09

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:

Jayne: I turn 55 in Sept. and am post menopausal. I was trying to scope out others in the same boat

I turned 55 this past September. I had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago. What I find works best for me is, low carb eating within my calorie range, and weight training.
  #214   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 10:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/185/155 Female 5"6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hello all

I am 57 and needing to lose the weight AGAIN! Yeah, I did this many moons ago and really liked how I felt on it. And it worked. So here I am again. I do think things are harder now that I am in my 50's. I had a hysterectomy when I turned 50. I have gained 40 pounds since then and have had success at times with exercise and dieting but I remembered how good I felt when I did this diet back when I was in my early 40's so Here I am again. Only now we have interent and forums. How fun! See you on the boards ladies. Any challenges for our group?
  #215   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 10:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Sally. Right now my biggest challenge is staying within my calorie range and getting my work-outs and water in. Would anyone be interested in starting a challenge where we would come back at the end of each day and report how we did for the day on our meal plans and exercise?
  #216   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-11, 05:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/185/155 Female 5"6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Galatia~sounds good to me. just starting my second day but working too. Too new here to figure out how to do this challenge thing but would come along. Have a great day everyone!
  #217   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 09:39
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

My challenge right now is trying to keep my workouts in and not succumb to stress eating. I just recently started a new job within my job and the hours are really screwing with my eating and work out schedule. I just need to make some adjustments.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #218   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 10:43

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Hot flash question

Hello all, I'm jumping into this thread to pose a question about hot flashes and carbs. I am 52 and at the beginning stages of menopause. An acquaintance mentioned a couple years ago that she noticed that her hot flashes and night sweats are directly related to eating carbs. I find this to be true also. A few weeks ago I was eating way more carbs than usual and I was having hot flashes regularly throughout the day and waking up at night up to 5 or 6 times in a sweat. 2 weeks ago I returned to a no grains diet and they stopped. Now if I falter and eat carbs (my favorite vice is popcorn mixed with potato chips!) I wake up with night sweats again.

Does anyone else experience this? If someone with scientific expertise and the ability to translate that into an explanation that a very non-scientific person can understand I would love to know why carbs would result in hot flashes.

Thanks--Christy
  #219   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

How much salt are you eating? Just curious if there might be a connection there.
  #220   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 17:13

BF:

I add salt to almost everything I eat. When I eat carbs they are usually in the form of gluten free bread, cereal, rice, rice crackers, and snack bars. I just checked some labels and estimate that when I'm eating this stuff I'm consuming 400-600mg of sodium per day from it. But then again if I'm eating GF cereal (the brand I like has 0mg sodium) for breakfast I'm [/I]not[I] eating sausage (400mg) or bacon with heavily salted fried eggs, which is my normal breakfast. So I'm not sure salt would be the culprit, but it's worth considering. I guess I'd have to try to track my intake and see if there's a connection.
  #221   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

I put some suggestions from what I found on NCBI in this thread:
(omega 3s, soy, herbal, etc...)

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...799#post8259799
  #222   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 16:09

BF:

Thanks for the links! From the Relating Hot Flashes to Blood Sugar link:

CONCLUSIONS: Our evidence indicates that hot flash frequency is suppressed after eating, while hot flashes are experienced when blood glucose falls between meals. Nursing interventions aimed at maintaining stability in blood glucose level may be effective in reducing menopausal hot flashes.
(my italics)

Maybe that's the key. I quickly looked around on the internet and in some medical databases and there's mention in both directions -- eat more carbs to treat hot flashes, and eat less for the same effect. One article said it's not certain what causes hot flashes in the first place.
  #223   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 19:06
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoCH

Does anyone else experience this? If someone with scientific expertise and the ability to translate that into an explanation that a very non-scientific person can understand I would love to know why carbs would result in hot flashes.

Thanks--Christy

Pick up a copy of "The Brain Trust" by Dr. Larry McCleary, MD. Chapter 7 of his book targets this. He also reccommends a Ketogenic cocktail and anti-excitatory cocktail to help diminish brain fog and vaso motor events.

I keep copies of this chapter and give it to my patients for those who are willing to take the leap to improve thier nutrition and thus improve their hot flashes.

HTH

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #224   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-11, 08:38

BF:

Thank you Lisa. According to my book log I read this book in spring of 2009 and really, really liked it. However I'm sure I skipped Chapter 7 since menopause was not an issue for me then. I'll pick it up and look at it again this week.
  #225   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: a blend of what works
Stats: 211/198/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 14%

CHarmer56, I am 56, post menopausal, and am now about 65# more than I should be (not to mention where I'd LIKE to be).

We are in Ohio, but leaving in a couple of days to go to our cabin in MI's UP. We are seeing -20's and -30's at night there. But DH has some repairs to make up there. We must be nuts.

I'm finding it so hard to lose at this age. Like all of you. But I'm persisting, and hopeful. One ting I like about LC is it keeps my diabetic DH's blood sugars in line. AND, I was seeing a few 'not too low' sugars when I tested mine (back when eating carbs), and I knew I was playing with fire. I am a walking example of metabolic syndrome.....I have high lipids levels, I'm obese, post-meno., sometimes high BP's (not often), and I was a gestational diabetic when I carried my kids (usually a pre-curser for later-in-life diabetes). I needed to do something. Something that wouldn't give me high blood sugars, like most diets do.

Thanks heavens for lc eating.