Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-12, 03:14

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The thin commandments

Came across this article this morning and thought it would be good to share here:

Quote:
From The Sunday Times
London, UK
14 October, 2012

The thin commandments

Want to be skinny not just in time for party season, but for life? Follow the American diet guru Bob Harper’s 20 simple rules

Traditionally, the diet starts in January or, failing that, in a mad panic around June. But after a fortnight of turkey and almonds, you find the Dukan is your Ducan’t. Or you go on holiday and undo all your effort with cocktails and hotel breakfasts. Then, before you know it, Christmas is weeks away, party season looms and Spanx aren’t going to cut it.

Bob Harper is best known for shrinking overweight people on the cult TV show America’s Biggest Loser. Over there, he’s revered as the man who can break your binge-fast pattern for good. “All you want is a way to lose weight that makes sense in your daily life,” he says. “Something convenient and healthy. Something permanent, non-negotiable and simple.”

This is the aim behind his new book, The Skinny Rules. Rather than a prescriptive diet, it’s a guide for your new life as a “healthy-weight person”. The kind of person who can resist pudding, because they aren’t even tempted. If you start following them, and never stop, weight loss and keeping it off is pretty much guaranteed. Here are Harper’s 20 commandments.

1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal You must stay hydrated. At a minimum, I want you to drink a large glass of water before every meal, but I’d prefer that you drink at least five glasses of water a day, the first within 15 minutes of waking. Water keeps your organs and digestive system healthy and makes you feel full. Just by drinking water, your body increases the amount of calories it burns. Scientists have estimated that if you simply follow this rule, you’ll burn off an extra 3lb over the next year. That doesn’t sound a lot, but I’ll take it. Won’t you?

2. Don’t drink your calories Fizzy drinks steal food from you, because they are so calorific that they fill you up with the wrong stuff. As you lift a can of sugared water to your mouth, consider that you are ingesting the equivalent of what should be your entire lunch. If you’re a diet-soda drinker, you’re only whetting your appetite for more sweet stuff. Try sparkling water with lime or lemon juice instead. Meanwhile, most “healthy” smoothies have the same amount of calories and sugars as a cola. You want fruit? Eat fruit. If you want coffee, buy an americano, in which you can better control the amount of (skimmed) milk. As for alcohol, yes, red wine deserves a place on your table. But not when you are trying to lose weight. Until you are at your goal, view alcohol the way you would a cola.

3. Eat protein at every meal Protein reigns; for dieters it is the key food group. You’ve got to eat more, and at every meal, to get its hunger-reducing benefits throughout your day. How much? The official answer is: nobody really knows. I’m going to give you what we might call the Skinny Recommendation: take your weight and divide it by two — that’s how much protein you should eat in grams every day. If you’re 200lb, eat at least 100g. I’m not saying it’s 100% scientific, but more and more research shows that a high-protein diet with reduced high-carb foods results in better weight control.

4. Slash your intake of refined flours and grains Grains — mainly in the form of refined flours — dominate our diet. They might be marketed as “low in fat”, “all natural” and even “heart healthy”, but if they are at all refined, they make you fat. That’s because grains are a lot like liquid calories once your body processes them. By contrast, whole- grains speed up digestion, steady blood sugar and drive up satiety, so making weight gain less likely. If you are going to abide by this rule, you’ve got to read labels, especially on bread. If the nutritional information on a loaf does not start with the words “wholegrain wheat flour”, pass it by. Looking for an alternative to rice? Allow me to introduce farro, which gives a whopping 7g of protein and 3g of fibre. It takes 20 minutes to make if you use the semi-pearled variety, and you can buy it at health-food shops.

5. Eat 30g-50g of fibre a day Our highly processed “convenient” food doesn’t supply any fibre or, at least, very little. So you’ve got to make a commitment to eating foods that have it, regularly. It comes from the skins of fruits and veggies, nuts, seeds and wholegrain foods. What are the benefits for weight loss? Three studies found that adults who upped their intake of wholegrains reduced their waist circumference.

6. Eat apples and berries every day I love these snacks. Apples and berries are rich in natural molecules called phytochemicals, which push down bad cholesterol and have a favourable effect on the skin. But what about these fruits and weight loss? The nutrition scholar Barbara Rolls had this question in mind when, a few years ago, she came up with an experiment. For five weeks, she gave 58 patients one of three meal “preloads”, each containing 125 calories. One group was given whole apples, one apple sauce, one apple juice with “fibre added”, and one plain apple juice. (A control group was not given a preload.) The subjects were then allowed to eat as much as they wanted 15 minutes later. The results were surprising: the subjects who ate the whole apple consistently ate 15% less than the subjects in all the other groups. They also stayed fuller for longer. All of this led Rolls to conclude something I have been haranguing people about for some time: “Solid fruit affects satiety more than puréed fruit or juice, and that eating fruit at the start of a meal can reduce energy intake.”

7. No carbs after lunch This is a big one, because the barrier to pulling it off is psychological. As we work, put up with idiotic bosses and co-workers, sit in traffic jams and deal with public transport, we begin to feel as if we are owed something at the end of the day. For too many of us, that something is based on sugar, whether in the form of simple sugars or starchy carbohydrates. I don’t blame anyone who feels this way. But we have to break that habit and eat most of our carbohydrate in the morning and live off protein and fibre in the afternoon. Carbs are forms of sugar, and sugar cues the pancreas to make more insulin, which triggers appetite. So if you can abide by this rule, you’re going to be thin.

8. Learn to read food labels Stop rolling your eyes: this is going to put you back in control of your food, your diet, your body and your life. In a widespread review published in 2008, the United States Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service found that, compared with people who didn’t read labels, label-readers consistently ate more fibre and 13 other important nutrients necessary for better heart health and weight loss. In my book, I explain the absolutely fundamental things to check when you read a label. The sooner you can store this information in your head, the more likely you’ll be to buy the right foods to get and keep you slim.

9. Stop guessing about portion size Our portion sizes are out of whack, with the average size of at-home meals ballooning by up to 30% over the past 20 years. Here are the two tools I’ve used for rethinking serving size. First, forced portion control. By this, I mean buying, making and being sure you’ve always got food that is ready to eat in the right amounts. A yoghurt shouldn’t exceed 170g. Your steak should be about the size of an iPhone. In my recipes, a serving of uncooked pasta is about 60g, and a portion of oats for breakfast is about 120g. Second, take advantage of high-fibre, low-calorie foods that fill you up. You can totally rethink portion size when it comes to vegetables and most fruits — eat what you want.

10. No more artificial added sweeteners We are, as humans, hard-wired to seek sweetness. It is a powerful, deeply rooted inclination. That’s why I want you to get away from all added sweeteners. You don’t have the physiological ammo to “just have a little”. How critical is this step in terms of weight loss? After all, sugar is only 4 calories a gram; fat, which I have not eliminated altogether, is 9 calories. What’s up with that? In short, the 4 calories of sugar may have a more powerful weight-gain effect once they’re in your body. By now, I think you know you shouldn’t go wild with high-fat cheeses or meat. You should learn to think of sugar in the same way — as a luxury. Does all this mean a life without dessert? No. There is a time and a place for cake, even in a Rules life.

11. Get rid of those potatoes This is a pretty big change for many of us, and I was thinking perhaps I was being unreasonable by making this a rule. But then I looked around at the people who were most successful at losing weight and keeping it off. None of them eat potatoes in any form. A formerly obese friend likes to say: “Bottom line, I abused my potato privileges!” The good news is that other tubers such as sweet potatoes, parsnips and turnips can earn a place on a weight-maintenance diet.

12. Make one day a week meatless You know by now that I want you to eat a lot of protein and fibre, as few simple sugars as possible and no bad fats. So, what other foods will help you to achieve this? Answer: beans, and nuts or seeds. Both of these food groups are underused in our daily diets, but beans are high in protein — the tiny green lentil, for example, gets one-fourth of its calories from protein — as well as being low in fat and high in fibre, with almost no fat. That’s a combination that will leave you satisfied and, eventually, slimmer.

13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods What are the main side effects of eating fried foods? What happens exactly when you eat a bag of crisps or a slice of deep-pan pizza with sausage and pepperoni? Post this list on your refrigerator to remind yourself why you should stay away from fast food.

• Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

• Chronic diarrhoea.

• Anal leakage (not kidding).

• Acne, rashes and cholesterol “bumps” under eyes.

• Halitosis and smelly skin.

• High bad cholesterol and low good cholesterol.

• Irritable bowel syndrome.

• Gallstones.

Need I say more?

14. Eat a real breakfast Research shows that if there is one habit the obese all have in common, it is skipping breakfast. Here are three key foods to start your day:

Porridge When you compare eating oats with other cereals, you’re more likely to reduce your waistline.

Eggs These have emerged as a prized element of a healthy, weight- conscious diet. They’re low in calories, high in protein and have zero carbs.

Plain Greek yoghurt Greek yogurt is thicker than normal yogurt; it gives that great ice-cream feel, which increases satisfaction after a meal. Add your own berries and nuts.

If you know you will be rushed, make sure you’ve got yoghurt pots, hard- boiled eggs, or a porridge packet and some berries in a plastic container. You don’t get away with not eating breakfast just because you’re busy.

15. Make your own food and eat at least 10 meals a week at home If you want to change your life, you’ve got to do things differently. You’ve got to cook or stay fat. It requires only a little planning, a willingness to learn some basics and some creativity to make your food something that you and others in your family will look forward to eating. Here are some basic rules:

• Do not put large platters on the table. If you do, you’re more likely to eat like it’s Christmas.

• If possible, do not eat alone. Eat as a couple or a family.

• Always eat at the table, even when you snack.

• Set the table — even if this means just a plate, a fork and a glass.

• Do not allow distractions at the table such as TV.

16. Banish high-salt foods We eat too much salt. The average person should eat no more than 2,300mg of sodium a day (6g of salt), about a teaspoon. Think about that number when you reach for salt or when you’re considering something salty. You know that too much salt increases the chance of stroke or heart disease, but it will also cause fluid retention, which can slow weight loss and result in you becoming discouraged. You don’t need that.

17. Eat your vegetables — just do it! If you added some veggies to your daily diet, you would feel more satisfied, naturally eat less and lose weight. Let me talk about two that have particularly great taste and versatility. The first is kale. It’s loaded with vitamins C and K, calcium and fibre. A bunch has only 50 calories. It’s easy to prepare — you can stir-fry it, steam it, put it in soups. And just as important: it tastes great. Broccoli is my other super weight-loss vegetable. Boil for two minutes, drain and add some lemon juice and a tablespoon of olive oil. Eat. Enjoy.

18. Go to bed hungry There are a lot of ways one might comply with this rule: don’t eat three hours before going to bed; don’t eat after 8pm; don’t eat anything after dinner. You decide. Your body will respond: denied fuel for more than five hours, it will start to burn its own fat. That means that, if your dinner was at 8pm, you’re burning fat by 1am.

19. Sleep right I like to think of sleep as an ingredient in your weight-loss diet. The more disturbed your sleep pattern, according to a recent study from the University of Chicago, the more likely you are to lose control of your eating the next day. The upshot is that you’ll snack on high-calorie foods and you’ll get fat. Men should pay particular attention to sleep — studies show that sleep deprivation may make them more vulnerable to snacking and weight gain than women.

20. Plan one splurge meal a week I got flak when I first started advocating this, as people thought I was encouraging a bad pattern — one too similar to your old bingeing ways. The whole idea can be summed up in one word: plan. Unlike episodic bingeing, splurge meals are an ingredient in your diet. You are in control, and when you are in control of your splurge, you don’t later think that you’ve failed. And that puts an end to the old binge-shame-diet-binge cycle. You don’t get to blow your splurge meal by going to a fast-food place, though. Eat real food. Barbecue at home. Experiment with a new recipe. Remember, you are changing your life, so start by changing your lifestyle.

Bob Harper with Greg Critser 2012. Extracted from The Skinny Rules (Bantam Press)

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto...icle1143519.ece

While I don’t agree with every commandment, I do follow the majority of them myself.

1. I don’t exactly drink a glass of water before each meal, but I do drink around 3 litres of water throughout the day.

2. I don’t drink sugared fizzy drinks and I’m currently weaning myself off Diet Pepsi. I also don’t drink ‘smoothies’, stick to black coffee and tea, but do enjoy the odd glass of wine. However, I do drink protein shakes. IMO, they are really great if you’re in need of a quick protein fix, after a workout, for example, or for breakfast in a hurry.

3. I follow this one religiously and eat protein at every meal.

4. I don’t eat any refined flour or grains, though I might occasionally have rolled oats for breakfast. I soak them overnight in water, and then add protein powder and a dollop of Greek yoghurt. Delicious.

5. I try to eat at least 5 servings of veggies (and a portion of fruit) every day, which more than covers my fibre intake.

6. I love berries and often have them for breakfast, or as a dessert. I also love apples and one of my favourite snacks is apple slices spread with peanut butter.

7. Well I do eat carbs after lunch, but not in the form of simple sugars. I do eat starchy carbs (in the form of a sweet potato, for example) and my workout.

8. I very rarely buy anything that comes with a label, preferring to buy fresh, whole foods. However, if I do, then I always check the label.

9. I’m quite strict with portion size these days, and follow these simple rules: a portion of protein is the size of my palm, a portion of veggies, fruit and starchy carbs is the size of my fist, a portion of fat is the size of my thumb. I also eat off a smaller plate. If you eat off a smaller plate you’re less likely to overeat. However, if I do want seconds I can always go back for it.

10. I seldom eat anything that contains artificial added sweeteners. I just don’t like the taste.

11. I do occasionally eat potatoes, but my starchy carb of choice is a sweet potato.

12. No, I can’t do meatless. I’m too much of a carnivore for that.

13. Fast food is not on my agenda, but I do eat fried food, such as eggs and bacon. I also like to stir fry my veggies, but I don’t think that counts in this context.

14. I do eat a proper breakfast. OK, it might not be until I’ve been up for a couple of hours, but I don’t skip it. During the week, my breakfast of choice is Greek yoghurt with whey protein and berries, Friday is usually a fried breakfast at work (a regular occurrence with my colleagues), and at the weekend, it can be anything.

15. I do make all my own food unless I’m away on business. While I may eat alone at home, I do try to sit and eat at the table without distractions such as the TV. At work, I take my own lunch to the staff restaurant and eat with my colleagues.

16. I don’t like salty food, so that’s not a problem for me.

17. I love my veggies; spinach, broccoli and cauliflower are particularly favourites.

18. I do tend to go to bed hungry. To me, hunger is not an emergency, and while it might feel uncomfortable at times, the feeling comes and goes. It’s also a great way to learn the difference between true physical hunger, the desire to eat, or a particular food craving.

19. I currently sleep for about 8 hours. I go to bed early and get up early and that works well for me. I do have late nights, but these days much prefer my life as a lark.

20. I do have a splurge meal once a week. Although wheat remains off the menu, I do eat anything else that I want. If I’m going out for a meal, I tend to eat two courses, usually a starter and main course, but sometimes a main course and a dessert. On very special occasions, I will eat three courses, but I always eat until satisfied and NOT until I’m stuffed.

How about you? I’m interested to know what other maintainers think of this list and how many they actually practice themselves.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-12, 14:33

Plan: No factory-processed food
Stats: 230/147/147 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi

How about you? I’m interested to know what other maintainers think of this list and how many they actually practice themselves.

I can never follow anyone else's plans, but I think this is a good list. I drink milk, which might be called drinking calories, but not sugary drinks.

And I do eat potatoes. I don't think there's anything wrong with them as food and I am reluctant to give up a natural starch. The potato rule, the rule about not eating carbs after lunch, and the rule about one meatless day a week are probably aimed at dieters rather than maintainers, because they are essentially irrational--they transfer responsibility from the self to the rule. The portion-control rule should cover eating potatoes, carbs, meat. If we want to eat them we can, as long as we know how much we can manage. The rules about refined grains and flours are not irrational, because there's enough research to show they can damage us, in whatever quantity.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-12, 07:39

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%
Progress: 100%

Plans that work always seem to have one thing in common: Drop sugar and refined carbs like the nightmare compounds that they are.

I may be a tad angry at sugars but others have noted the same thing many times...