Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 07:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up One year today and at Goal!

August 23, 2012---
August 23, 2011.
One year ago on this date, I started eating Low Carb. In total, I have lost 50 pounds.

I made the decision, researched, read and bought books to read and started with A New Atkins for a New You way of eating. In the beginning, it was hard. I fought myself not to eat the things that were still in my pantry. My husband did not want to eat this way and I had to keep things around for him.

I told him, he would like eating this way and to let me fix what I needed for dinners. He agreed. Then he saw it was not a starvation diet like I had been on so many times before. We actually ate better than we had in a long time, better food and better tasting meals. More vegetables and lots of fat! I was eating eggs and bacon every morning while he still ate cereal. I was losing steadily.

When I convinced him to give up his morning cereal, to let me fix him eggs and bacon or sausage for breakfast, he started losing, too. That is when Atkins had two converts in this house.

Three months into this way of eating, I had a physical. My doctor was amazed. I had started this to lose weight so my diabetes would not get out of control. He told me I was basically not a diabetic any more and my cholesterol and blood pressure was perfect. I told him what I was eating and he said he was going to recommend it to all his overweigh patients. Victory for me!

I wanted to lose 50 pounds so I stayed at induction level of eating until I was about 20 pounds away and then started adding different foods. Each one was like a new burst of flavor in my mouth.

I had sugar-free jello for dessert, started adding in berries and more coconut oil. Eventually, nuts entered the picture and finally I allowed myself to try the Muffins in a Minute and coconut flour muffins. Oh my. I found that I still have cravings for baked goods. That is part of this experience, to try things, find out what it does to your appetite, and learn to control it. I do not bake unless there are others here to eat it.

At first, as I had read would happen, I had low carb flu, but it was gone early and then the energy started. I used to have to take a nap every day, no more. I feel stronger when I lift weights at the gym. My 6-mile walk with my friends on Sundays is easy now; I used to pray for rain so we did not have to walk. Now I want to add miles to it! I even climbed up over 400 steps on a vacation and was not tired. I am 63 years old and do not ever remember feeling like I had this much energy.

I had set my goal at 150 pounds, thinking I could change it as I got closer, but as I got closer, I found that I was really happy. All my medical stats were good and I looked very good in my eyes (and my hubby's eyes!). I was getting compliments from friends and family and I could get down on the floor to play with my grandsons with no problems. So, 150 pounds was my final goal and I am happy with it.

As I read back through my journal, I see that my experimenting started early. LOL I was curious about a high fat menu and ate one for a week, and still lost weight. That was adopted. I read about and tried Intermittent Fasting and now do not eat breakfast. I tried not weighing for a month.

This was my long post on March 22, 2012, the day I considered myself "on maintenance" and my thoughts on my experiments.
+++
Okay, this is a long one, LOL, I have a lot to say.

I went on a month long journey, it was something I had to do at this point. It was very important to me to challenge myself several ways. When I started one month ago I was very close to my goal and to live this way for the rest of my life, I have to be happy with the way it is laid out for me. I had researched and found two specific things that I wanted to look at for me. This may not be important anyone else, but I needed to do them.

THE SCALES
I had read many journals and postings from others who got on the scales and were so disappointed. I quoted websites and others who said, “Don’t get on the scales, just let your clothes or measurements be your guide.” Well, I decided that I would have to try that, to see if it was possible for me to do.

I was a once a day weigher in the beginning, spaced to once a week up until a month ago, but not a worrier. I did not stall for long or have any gain that I recorded. I do have to say that when I knew I was going to stray over the holidays, I did not weigh myself that week so the extra water would be gone when I did.

The last few months, the closer I got to my goal and the more I added back into my menu as far as choices, I lost at a much slower rate, sometimes less than a half a pound a week. I was happy with this rate.

Deciding not to weigh myself for a month was, in a sense, freeing. It was not a right to eat anything in front of me; I stayed on path and still charted what I ate. I stayed in my calorie count of 1500 to 1600 most days, some days going as high as 1900+ but still looked at everything I ate.

I have read several bloggers and scientists that give us several ways to keep the weight off after a loss. One thing that is mentioned by all is that we have to keep track. It is a given that we will gain a few pounds every once in a while. The key is to how many to gain before action is taken. For me it will be three to five pounds, for several weigh ins. We all know what a liar the scale is and I want two times of the same information given before I will believe it.

My clothes fit during this month and there were times when I thought I had lost a lot or gained a lot.

Yes, I will continue to weigh myself. Once a week. I do not need once a day and actually, the variations of that would drive me crazy. I think Scotty Mike weighs every day or more and then averages it over seven days? That is way too much work for me. Once a week.

My top limit will be 155. Period. Then to work I go.

My conclusion: I can tell others that for me, not weighing was freeing but not free.

INTERMITTENT FASTING

Years ago I read an article about how skinny, fasting rats live longer than their fatter cousins, even if the cousins were at a “normal” weight. I thought to myself that I would not want to eat that way. The few years I gained of life would be miserable for me. I love to eat. That is how I got here!

Anyway, through more reading, I found some who believe in fasting as a way to lose and or maintain weight. Some just believe it is very good for the body to fast, just a once or twice release of insulin and all that. I am interested in the insulin thing, since I had a problem with my glucose, hence the month of IF (intermittent fasting).

There are several ways to do this, only eat for a five hour period during the day, such as 5 until 10 pm. Those who did this, tried to pack in all the calories they would normally eat and said they could eat or drink anything they wanted as long as it was in those 5 hours.

Others pick a certain number of hours not to eat that are at least 12 hours long and others skip a meal. This can be done together. I decided to skip breakfast, eating my snack at 8 pm and not eating until noon the next day giving me 16 hours of not eating.

It was difficult at first, breakfast has always been one of my favorite meals, but as time went on, I found it was very nice not to have to worry about what to have for lunch, I had my eggs and bacon at noon. In the beginning, I was hungry, but I toughed through it and did not eat. I do have to say, that I did put coconut oil and cream in my coffee, as they do not affect insulin.

I learned that I could do almost everything as before, I had the energy to work out at the gym and all the chores that needed done. I tested my glucose several days, after lunch and found that it was basically the same if I ate or did not eat. Normal.

Oh yes, I did eat breakfast on Sundays and when I was in Monterey. I found I got hungry for lunch even if I had eaten enough to get me through to dinner. I had to have a snack several days. Even though I did not eat breakfast, I had a big lunch and my calories were about the same as before.

My conclusion: I may do this and I may not. I will let the day decide for me.

Now, on to the good stuff. I am at my goal. I lost some weight and now consider myself at maintenance.

I weighed in at 151.2 after water aerobics I started the month at 153.8 so that is a loss of 2.6 pounds this month.

Started low calorie at 199 January 2011, started Low Carb August 2011 at 192 and have lost a total of 47.8 lbs.

I am happy.

I am going to slowly start adding in more calories to see what happens. I had stopped nuts in support of my DH but they are coming back. My coconut is coming back. If I want an MIM, I will have one. If I want cheese with my eggs I will have it. I am releasing myself to try new things.

I will continue to track what I eat and probably will for a very long time; this is still not easy to guess at for me. I need to know how much I can eat now, and that will take time. I will keep coming here; this is an important place to hold myself accountable at.

Heck, the main reason is that you all are my friends now.

PS, now I am going back to watch my favorite videos and read Atkins again. ALWAYS KEEP LEARNING.
++++++
I am still learning. I now weigh in every day I can, almost a celebration of my weight and a way to keep it in check. I travel and come home with a few extra pounds and love to watch them come off.

I found out how to control my leg cramps and how important salt is.

I found out the first steps of getting my head around maintenance was hard, I was afraid of it, now I revel in it.

I read Wheat Belly and do not eat wheat unless I want to, which is maybe a dinner roll, if they are tempting at a restaurant. I am doing a Nutritional Ketone blood testing experiment to see how long it takes for me to get back onto deep ketosis if I cheat and how much protein is perfect for me.

I know that exercise makes me hungry and I recognize the difference between hunger and cravings now.

I have one regret; I wish my diabetic nutritional counselor had told me about this way of eating many years ago.

I know that I still have to track what I eat. I hope that I can be more like others I know and guestimate yet stay at my goal. I expect that to eventually happen. I know some who have been at maintenance for years and I try to learn from them. I am on two forums for support and knowledge.

I found journaling is a must even after reaching maintenance. Touching in some way, remembering the struggle of losing weight, will remind me not to go there again. This is too hard for me to do alone.

However, I have redefined myself. A cool, thin person who eats bacon with impunity......

Now, I have to teach my grandsons not to be afraid of fat…..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 07:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Arlene, what a great validation for the low carb way of eating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
I am still learning.
So am I. I love the fact that there's always some new to learn. Not only does it help to keep things fresh, but we may come across something that works even better for us than what we've been doing previously, and as far as I'm concerned, that is one of the keys to lifelong maintenance.

Last edited by Demi : Thu, Aug-23-12 at 07:46.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 08:01
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Excellent and Congrats, Arlene!

So well written, this could be your success story!

I'm still learning too.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 09:08
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Good job!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 09:24

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 249/152/149 Female 5'4"
BF:5'4", 71
Progress: 97%

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing all of your experiences. I too think its important to keep learning and uncovering more info about what works for us on this journey.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 09:31

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

Congratulations and thank you for telling your story! There was SO MUCH I could relate to: experimenting, learning, daily then weekly weighing, ambivalence about fasting, even leg cramps - and I just turned 63. You are doing better than I with maintenance. Once I decided that 135lb was my happy place no matter what goal I had been aiming for (they tended to vary), I thought it would be easy to stay there. But no, not at all. I struggle more now with my food choices than I ever did while losing. But I learn so much from everybody who has blazed the trail before me that I'm sure I'll get a handle on maintenance eventually. Again, thank you for your post.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 10:10

Plan: whole food
Stats: 178.2/155/149 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Terrific post Arlene - great job, your journey has and will continue to inspire many.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 10:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Congrats Arlene! Great job!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 10:26

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 184.0/141.5/152.0 Female 66.25 inches
BF:35%/???/???
Progress: 133%

Thank you for sharing your journey. I smiled when I read your husband joined you, I so wish mine would join me.

Congrats on reaching goal and good luck with maintance. I tell people weight loss is a war. We win battles and lose battles but as long as we never give up we do have a chance to win the war. You my dear, have won the war!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 10:43

Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Congratulations, Arlene!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 12:56
Registered Member

Stats: 160/157/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I have spent the last 3 days reading all your journal posts and your keto experiment and have enjoyed every post and every comment. I'm 64 and have been stalled for over a year, so your journeys are an inspiration to me. Thank you so much for your sharing. I'm sure there are more "lurkers" like me who have been reading, but not responding. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your journaling of your journey as we are close to the same age. Thank you and Congratulations!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 13:37

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Happy Atkinsversary, Arlene!!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 16:36

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

GORSH!
Thank you everyone! I am really touched by all the comments.
We really do need each other, no matter where we are, still losing or in maintenance.

Thank you for being my friends.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 17:10

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Great story, Arlene. Congratulations to you on meeting your goal and maintaining it! You're a real inspiration.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 17:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thank you for sharing all your insights and wonderful tips for a successful weight loss journey.
Congratulations, Arlene!