Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-11, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/124.8/125 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default Do you use Soy flour?

In Dr. Atkins book, he used it in a lot of his recipes and George Stella uses it in his recipes. We have never had any problems with it off diet, so lately I have been making Blueberry muffins with it, which we like a lot. We'll have a couple on Sunday morning, with frosting, usually lemon, and so far no slowing down on weight loss the last month since I added it. I do mix it half and half with a mixture of flaxseed and pecan. We don't mind the taste either. The pecan is such a strong flavor so it might be covering up the Soy taste.
I know you can't use it if you have certain health problems and some people seem to be allergic or just simply don't like the taste. How do you feel about it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 11:47

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I don't like the taste, and I do steer clear of all things soy anyway. This article goes a long way to explaining the reason why:

It’s not just the salt that makes many meat-substitute foods a thoroughly unhealthy option
http://www.drbriffa.com/2008/05/19/...healthy-option/

However, if you feel that it's not a problem for you then fine, it's entirely up to you.

If I do do any baking, I usually use a combination of almond flour (or another nut flour) and/or coconut flour and whey protein. I also use flax seed occasionally too.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 12:25

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveh
In Dr. Atkins book, he used it in a lot of his recipes and George Stella uses it in his recipes. We have never had any problems with it off diet, so lately I have been making Blueberry muffins with it, which we like a lot. We'll have a couple on Sunday morning, with frosting, usually lemon, and so far no slowing down on weight loss the last month since I added it. I do mix it half and half with a mixture of flaxseed and pecan. We don't mind the taste either. The pecan is such a strong flavor so it might be covering up the Soy taste.
I know you can't use it if you have certain health problems and some people seem to be allergic or just simply don't like the taste. How do you feel about it?

Hi eveh,

Have to echo Demi's comment: I wouldn't touch soy either, only in fermented form as soy sauce!!!

It is highly estrogenic and, if you're at my age (47) and suspect you are suffering from estrogen dominance, then you want to stay well clear of the stuff.

Barry Groves, PhD, one of Britain's foremost and longest-standing low-carbers also has some good arguments in this article, "No joy with soy":

Quote:
Lack of Joy with Soy

There is an increasing trend of putting soya in everything from bread and breakfast cereals to ice-cream and, of course, low-carb 'diet' products. High in protein, and very abundant and cheap, it looks like a good food to include in other foods. But, while fermented soya is okay, unfermented soya is not. And it is the unfermented soya that is used in these products today. Put bluntly, soya protein powders, soya flour, soya oil and soya milk, and foods containing them, should carry a health warning as cigarettes do. Here's why:

1. Soya prevents weight loss.

Most people go on any diet to lose weight. But soya powerfully suppresses the thyroid and lowers metabolic rate. (1) The thyroid gland produces hormones that have a profound effect on our bodies' metabolism ? the rate at which our bodies use energy. This in turn has implications for the cause and treatment of obesity. It also affects such seemingly unrelated things as blood cholesterol levels. Twenty-five grams of soya protein isolate contains 50 - 70 mg of isoflavones. Yet it took only 45 mg of isoflavones in premenopausal women to exert significant biological effects, including a reduction in hormones needed for adequate thyroid function. These effects continued for three months after they stopped eating the soya. (2) A lower metabolic rate makes weight gain more likely and weight loss more difficult. Thus soya is the last thing anyone who is concerned about their weight should eat.

2. Soya inhibits protein absorption.

Soya contains protease inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion. These produce serious gastric distress and reduce protein digestion to cause chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake. In test animals, diets high in trypsin inhibitors cause enlargement and pathological conditions of the pancreas, including cancer. (3)

3. Soya upsets hormones.
Soya also decreases female reproductive hormones: oestrone, LS and FSH. (4) And causes menstrual disturbances in premenopausal women.(5) In 1992 the Swiss health service estimated that 100 grams of soya protein provided the oestrogenic equivalent of the Pill.(6) And with that in mind, what of its effects on children and men?

4. Soya harms children.

Isoflavones in infancy are probably the greatest cause for concern as they are likely to affect the way a child develops. Soya consumption has been linked to numerous disorders, including infertility, increased cancer and infantile leukaemia, and studies dating back to the 1950s showed that genistein in soya caused disrupted hormone production in animals. (7) Laboratory studies also suggest that isoflavones inhibit synthesis of oestradiol and other steroid hormones. Several species of animals including mice, cheetah, quail, pigs, rats, sturgeon and sheep displayed reproductive problems, infertility, thyroid disease and liver disease due to dietary isoflavones. In 1998, investigators reported that circulating concentrations of isoflavones in infants fed soya-based baby formula were 13,000 to 22,000 times higher than plasma oestradiol concentrations in infants fed baby formula made with cow's milk. (8) Infants fed soya milk or other soya products may develop hormone abnormalities such as delayed genital formation in boys and early menstruation in girls. (8). An infant exclusively fed on soya formula receives the oestrogenic equivalent (based on body weight) of at least five birth control pills per day. (9) By contrast, almost no phytoestrogens have been detected in dairy-based infant formula or in human milk.

5. Soya increases cancer risk.

Soya increases the growth rate of breast cancer cells.(10) Soya increases progesterone activity and more breast cell growth in menstruating women. (11). And some researchers believe the rapid increase in liver and pancreatic cancer in Africa is due to the introduction of soya products there.(12)

6. Soya ulcerates the gut.

Pigs in the USA fed soya in their diets were found to have hopelessly ulcerated intestines. Advice from the US soya industry's website advised farmers to strictly limit soya fed to pigs (13) Although no human trials have been done for ethical reasons, there is no reason to suppose the same will not happen in humans.

7. Soya increases risk of deficiency diseases.

Lastly, soya beans have one of the highest phytic acid levels of any grain or legume that has been studied.(14) This is important because phytic acid binds with minerals to form phytates that are not absorbed from the intestine. This leads to a wide range of nutritional deficiency diseases. The mineral most affected by soya is zinc. (15) Soya-based infant formula is particularly harmful because zinc is needed for proper development and functioning of the brain and nervous system. It also plays a role in protein synthesis and collagen formation; it is involved in the blood-sugar control mechanism and thus protects against diabetes; it is needed for a healthy reproductive system. Zinc is a key component in numerous vital enzymes and plays a role in the immune system.

The current dramatic increases in obesity, diabetes, cancers, heart disease, etc, are a direct result of policies emanating from the USA. This present wave of low-carb dietary advice and 'low-carb' products, aimed at undoing the previous harm, also comes mainly from the USA. And, as I hope I have shown above, the 'foods' used are just as unhealthy.

What is the point in swapping one disease for another?

There is, however, a much better way. It was pioneered by a Londoner, William Banting, in 1863. Indeed it was this regime that formed the basis for all other present low-carb diets, including Atkins.

Banting's low-carb dietary regime has a century of epidemiological evidence and clinical trials supporting it. It doesn't rely on the unhealthy products that Atkins does, but on natural, real foods. Correctly constituted, it is completely healthy, it works and it's safe.

Why not ditch US pseudo-foods and eat the much more natural and healthy British way? Make no mistake — if you domn't eat real food, the shops will stop selling it. And once it has gone, it will be very difficult to get it back again.

References
1.Ishuzuki Y, et al. The effect on the thyroid gland of soy beans administered experimentally in healthy subjects. Nippon Naihunpi gakkai Zasshi 1991; 67: 622-9.
2. Cassidy A, et al. Biological Effects of a Diet of Soy Protein Rich in Isoflavones on the Menstrual Cycle of Premenopausal Women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1994; 60: 333-340.
3. Rackis JJ, et al. The USDA trypsin inhibitor study. I: Background, objectives and procedural details. In Qualification of Plant Foods in Human Nutrition. vol. 35, 1985.
4. Duncan AM, et al. Soy isoflavones exert modest effects in premenopausal women. Journal of Endocrinologic Metabolism 1999; 84: 192-7.
5. Benson JE, et al. Nutritional aspects of amenorrhea in the female athlete. Triad International Journal of Sports Medicine 1996; 134-45.
6. Bulletin de L'Office Fédéral de la Santé Publique, No. 28, 20 July 1992
7. Matrone G, et al. Effect of Genistin on Growth and Development of the Male Mouse. Journal of Nutrition 1956; 235-240
8. Setchell KD, et al. Isoflavone content of infant formulas and the metabolic fate of these early phytoestrogens in early life. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1998; Supplement: 1453S-1461S
9. Irvine C, et al. The Potential Adverse Effects of Soybean Phytoestrogens in Infant Feeding. NZ Medical Journal 1995; 24: 318
10. Hseih CY, et al. Estrogenic effects of genistein on the growth of estrogen receptor positive human breast cancer (MCF-7) cells in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Research 1998; 58: 3833-8
11. McMichael-Phillips DF, et al. Effects of soy-protein supplementation on epithelial proliferation in the histologically normal human breast. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1998; 68 (6 Suppl): 1431S-5S
12. Katz SH. Food and Biocultural Evolution: A Model for the Investigation of Modern Nutritional Problems. In Nutritional Anthropology. Alan R. Liss Inc., 1987, p. 50
13. www.centralsoya.com "Soya protein content for animal feed".
14. El Tiney AH. Proximate Composition and Mineral and Phytate Contents of Legumes Grown in Sudan. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 1989; 2: 6778.
15. A summary of the many effects of phytic acid on zinc absorption can be found in: Leviton, Richard. Tofu, Tempeh, Miso and Other Soyfoods: The 'Food of the Future' — How to Enjoy Its Spectacular Health Benefits. Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, CT, USA, 1982

Last updated 9 May 2004
The original article is here:

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/no-joy.html

amanda
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 14:20
Registered Member

BF:

Boy, that's one bad little bean, isn't it?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 15:40

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 307/197.1/162 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveh
How do you feel about it?

I feel that if you're following the Aktins diet, stick to it. Legumes are allowed on the 6th rung. So if you are on that level and like it, go for it.

Of course, if you are allergic to it, have religious restrictions, or are a food zealot you might want to choose something like an almond flour which is a seed by defination and is allowed on the 3rd rung (and IMHO tastes loads better.)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 21:11
Registered Member

BF:

I do like almond flour. That is what I have been using. That and a mix of pecan and flaxseed meal for most things. I thought I would give the flour a try because, I had it, and it is cheaper and I can buy it locally. I hate having to place an order every time I need something. I wish our local walmart would carry more low carb things like the nut and seed flowers & liquid Splenda. I don't use any other products so it is a nuisance to have put in an order and wait three or four days when I need these.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 22:11

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 307/197.1/162 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Three or four day wait? Lucky you. I live north of the 49th. It can take weeks to get something shipped up if at all.

As for things like nuts and such, a regular grocery store should carry most of this stuff, no?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 23:37
Registered Member

BF:

No, I'm afraid not. They carry flaxseed meal sometimes but I haven't seen almond flour, coconut flour, pecan meal, in any of our grocery stores but the Piggly wiggly which does carry almond flour on ocassion but is in the next county. I have to drive over there to get it. I tried grinding my own pecans, which is about the only nut that doesn't cost a lot, almonds are just outrageous here and pretty hard to find unless it is Christmas.
I guess my whine seems a little silly when you have to wait so long for something to be delivered. You are right too. I need to put in that order and get it over with. But wouldn't it be nice if we could just buy from our local grocery?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-11, 08:19
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I have to agree with the previous posters regarding soy.
I have no health problems and stay away from it with a ten-foot pole.
In addition to the health impact, the taste impact is just as bad. Plus it just stinks to me.

Eve, you like to keep up on your reading and research. Read the Whole Soy Story.
You will NEVER touch soy again.

#10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 05:09

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by evah
Boy, that's one bad little bean, isn't it?
Most definitely!

Also, from The Weston A Price Foundation:

Soy Alert!
Confused About Soy?--Soy Dangers Summarized

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert

Not only does it list a number of studies, but also links to 66 articles concerning the adverse effects of soy!